More rp in a dungeon

Jeckyllgeek1

First Post
I just played my first session of a campaign and it was pretty good. One thing though is that some of the players were asking for more rp. I plan to have spend most of the session in the castle dungeon where they are supposed to rescue a queen. Note this isn't a normal castle dungeon and has monsters instead of usual soldiers. I was wondering on how to allow for more role playing. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Arilyn

Hero
Vary encounters, so that some require negotiation or trickery. Not all monsters are mindless player eaters. Think about plot twists that could be introduced into story. What is your villain's goal, and how can he/she throw obstacles in players' way, that are non-combat?

If your players are asking for more role playing, chances are they have developed interesting character quirks, motivations or back stories to hook sub-plots onto. If nothing is written down, ask! Players need little encouragement to talk endlessly about their characters. Also, ask players what kinds of adventures they would like to have. If you have a mixed group, vary styles so everyone gets time doing what they love. Make sure all players have turn in spotlight, doing the things that make their character cool.

Some GMs make notes after session and ask players what went well and what could be improved. Some groups have players help story by introducing elements into game, but this is a style choice that not everyone is comfortable with.

Oh, I have also found interesting or quirky NPCs add a lot to role playing. Final Golden Rule, there are so many more ways to make characters suffer and squirm than death! Nothing like a sprinkling of angst to get the role playing juices going!

Have fun.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I agree with Arilyn motivation is everything and nothing should be encountered in your dungeons without it having a clear motivation/purpose for being there doing its thing. Knowing about your BBEG goes without saying, but you should also know what motivates your ogre guard, even the giant rats in the cellar have a purpose and most importantly none of your monsters want to die (role play can be involved in how they attempt to avoid death).

Also plan non-combat encounters - perhaps the PC encounter goblin slave whose been chained in a cell and is willing to help if the PCs let it go.

I also remember some advice about awarding XP, that stated that the purpose of an encounter is to overcome a challenge - combat is only one option, using social skills, sneaking past or creating distractions are all valid ways to 'overcome an encounter' and all methods should be allowed and rewarded ie be flexible and encourage creativity.

Some of the best role-playing I’ve seen occur has been between players, with me only being minimally involved. It can help to give them space to talk to each other in character. Maybe start with a room that has something notable about it – an odd smell (maybe baked bread from the kitchens), a piece of art, a book, or some other decorative touch and turn to one player and tell them “you are reminded of something in your past. Tell the group about it.”

Celebrim

Legend
1) Monsters have allies that aren't fully loyal. These monsters might initially be unfriendly to the PC's, but can be won over by parlay - or might seek to parlay if the combat goes against them.
2) Monsters have slaves or servants who aren't fully loyal. These monsters might serve out of fear, but would be willing to revolt in exchange for freedom and enough gear to survive on their own. Alternately, they may just want to serve the strongest 'monster' around, and the PC's have proven their worth.
3) Monsters have allies with their own agenda. This could be for example underlings whose primary goal is to supplant the current leader. They might be initially unfriendly to the PC's, but can be won over by parlay - or might seek to parlay if the combat goes against them.
4) Monsters have other prisoners. These prisoners can have their own agenda, from also wanting to rescue the princess, to being doppelgangers or werewolves with a penchant for subtle murder.
5) There is something else down here. Other than the main faction in the dungeon, there can be factions that are tolerated, feared, or venerated by the main faction, but which aren't exactly allies of them. Fey creatures, nature spirits, and even ghosts can survive in the dungeon from some time prior to it being taken over by its current inhabitants. The current inhabitants may concede part of the dungeon to these older inhabitants, and even view them as an oracle or a small god of some sort. These creatures may be overtly hostile to neither party, but form a side of their own with its own agenda.
6) This dungeon isn't big enough for the two of us. The dungeon could have been conquered from something that now exists on the margins of the dungeon ecology, and would like their home back. For example, a tribe of kobolds could be reduced to scavenging from a small set of tunnels on the edge of the dungeon, having been driven out by the bugbears that now make their lair here. In a mega-dungeon, tribe of dark creepers may want their hunting ground back, after having been driven out by duergar miners.
7) Vocalize your villains. Intelligent foes should give war cries, make threatening boasts, call down curses on the PC's, and even banter with them in the midst of combat.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
- Some of the BBEG's henchmen are only in it for the money. If the PCs offer to pay them to ignore all the noise the PCs are making...
- Foolish BBEG took two rival tribes of -whatever- and put them in the same dungeon. A fight might break out when BBEG's back is turned, and the PCs can help trigger that.
- Somebody calls out "Halt! Who goes there!" but is bored and wants to gossip, not kill all intruders.
- Visibly-obvious slave / hostage / DNPC (dependent non-player character) stuffed in a corner, approaches PCs and offers to parley.
- Use intelligent 'monsters' who have their own goals and plans for the future. Not just swarms of vermin or brute beasts.
- Some of the rooms have traps in them or are storage spaces, but no people. Let the PCs explore a bit.

Descriptions...

Describe the halls and rooms in a way that prompts curiosity. By adding strange sounds, sights and smells, the players will slow down in their rush to combat and start exploring.

Add in things that might tie to a characters background. Are they afraid of spiders? Drop one on their shoulder, let them role play it out and tease each other. Is the place drafty? Is their a squeaky door?

Give the players opportunity to role play by describing the environment around them and letting them interact before combat begins.

Maybe they hear something approaching down the hallway. Maybe it sounds friendly or is arguing.

Variety, descriptions, and give room/time to role play.

Remove ads