Moria Campaign Module Coming for TOR2e and LotR 5e

Reynard

Legend
Verily says the wise man.

A different artists impression of the Balrog! Steady your hearts and minds!

(I actually don’t know)
There could -- and should -- be more terrible things still. People forget how deeply weird fantasy Tolkien's world is the closer you get to the edges. There are dark things that predate Morgoth (Ungoliant), strange powers in the wild lands (Bombadil) and weird creatures in the depth (whatever the hell a wereworm is). It wouldn't break lore to have something powerful and strange and dark down there besides Durin's Bane.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
There could -- and should -- be more terrible things still. People forget how deeply weird fantasy Tolkien's world is the closer you get to the edges. There are dark things that predate Morgoth (Ungoliant), strange powers in the wild lands (Bombadil) and weird creatures in the depth (whatever the hell a wereworm is). It wouldn't break lore to have something powerful and strange and dark down there besides Durin's Bane.

There's a whole line of Tolkien theory in which Bombadil is the real BBEG.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
How many years after the end of the 3rd Age does the Moria remains abandoned?

I had the idea of running a M-E game after the action of the books to give space for new BBEGs and I seem to recall the Moria was resettled around that time.

Reynard

Legend
How many years after the end of the 3rd Age does the Moria remains abandoned?

I had the idea of running a M-E game after the action of the books to give space for new BBEGs and I seem to recall the Moria was resettled around that time.
From Wikipedia:
Khazad-dûm lay empty. Some centuries into the Fourth Age, the auspiciously-named Durin VII, a descendant of Dáin Ironfoot, succeeded as the King of the Longbeards and heir of the Kings of Khazad-dûm.[T 13] He led his people back to Khazad-dûm, where they remained "until the world grew old and the Dwarves failed and the days of Durin's race were ended".

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Does anybody else find the whole "Stretch Goal" aspect of Kickstarter kind of cheesy and annoying?

I can see how if you are truly just donating money to an artistic project, like making a movie or recording an album, then it might make more sense. But when it's really just pre-sales with hype it feels disingenuous.
I have some issues with stretch goals sometimes, but it's really context dependent.

I really like when projects increase the quality of the product when reaching certain stretch goals: adding foil to the cover, adding a ribbon, improving the quality of the paper, including a small print of some nice art, etc. So when it's like a reverse volume-discount; if we get this many copies, it's cheaper and we can have more art, etc.

I really don't like when projects increase the quantity of work: adding more tables, more classes, including a dice bag or adding a mini. This almost always swells the amount of work and god knows not that many campaigns make it out on time.

The Dolmenwood kickstarter greatly impressed me. It offered it's three core books with many addons which I planned on getting. As they passed the Stretch Goals, they included several addons for me for backers of a minimum pledge level. So, for example, I'm getting a free copy of the four adventures that come with it. More content for my money, while not increasing the scope of the project.

darjr

I crit!
IMG_8240.jpeg

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I've managed to hold back and not buy TOR 2E multiple times (being reasonable). But it's really hard. I'm not too interested to play in a so established settings as Middle-Earth, but holy hell are Free League in a class of their own when it comes to books, layout and art quality. And I'm also interested in reading about Middle-Earth and I'm intellectually interested in some mechanics for my own design works.

This book might make me pull the trigger...

Remove ads