D&D General Most iconic (fantasy) enemy groups?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
HUMANS
Barbarians
Savages (beware racist stereotypes)
Raiders
Bandits/Thugs/Gangsters
Pirates
Cultist
Assassins
Murderers/Serial Killers (beware mental illness stereotypes)
Ninjas
Mercenaries
Nazis
Inquisitors/Zealots
*Plaguebearers (infected, mindless - beware disease stereotypes)
Mutants (beware disability stereotypes)
Cannibals
Thieves
Ratcatchets

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Cults, pirates, tyrants, slavers, invaders.
Other than maybe the first one, I don't really see any of those as fantasy opponents. Cults, pirates, tyrants, slavers, and invaders have been fully real opponents for...let me check my sources...literally all of human history. You can't go 50 years, at any point in human history, without tripping over serious, often horrifying demonstrations of at least one such thing going on somewhere.

Maenalis

Villager
If we're speaking of the most iconic, as in genuinely understood by multiple different cultural groups to be A Thing, ...
"Iconic: regarded as a representative symbol "
I personally would be interested in YOUR opinion and not the opinion of some form of fictional general audience, which doesn't exists anyway.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
Other than maybe the first one, I don't really see any of those as fantasy opponents. Cults, pirates, tyrants, slavers, and invaders have been fully real opponents for...let me check my sources...literally all of human history. You can't go 50 years, at any point in human history, without tripping over serious, often horrifying demonstrations of at least one such thing going on somewhere.
The OP asked about...let me check my sources..."the most iconic monster groups, clans, races, organizations, etc. in fantasy rpgs" (emphasis mine). Nothing about imaginary opponents that don't occur in human history.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The OP asked about...let me check my sources..."the most iconic monster groups, clans, races, organizations, etc. in fantasy rpgs" (emphasis mine). Nothing about imaginary opponents that don't occur in human history.
"Iconic: regarded as a representative symbol "
I personally would be interested in YOUR opinion and not the opinion of some form of fictional general audience, which doesn't exists anyway.
My apologies for giving the opinion I thought I was asked to give. I'll be sure to take it elsewhere.

Real world issues aside, these are prototypical fantasy opponents.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Real world issues aside, these are prototypical fantasy opponents.
I don't personally think so. I mean, they appear, sure. But that's because they're prototypical opponents in general. Not only is there nothing fantastical about them (except, sometimes, the cults), but they're often used very specifically to distance a work from fantasy. Fighting ordinary brigands, slavers, pirates, etc. is a way to reduce how fantastical a work is.

Maenalis

Villager
Do I understand the situation correctly?

1. I asked a simple one sentence question and even gave 20 "right" example answers to it.
2. People "misunderstand" the meaning of the word iconic.
3. People start to argue about the meaning of "fantasy".

Could you guys move to another thread and give people the chance to actually answer the question?

Do I understand the situation correctly?

1. I asked a simple one sentence question and even gave 20 "right" example answers to it.
2. People "misunderstand" the meaning of the word iconic.
3. People start to argue about the meaning of "fantasy".

Could you guys move to another thread and give people the chance to actually answer the question?
I was defending the purpose of your thread. You're welcome. Now I'll move on.

Repeating some of the human classic villains already mentioned:
  • bandits/pirates
  • cultists
  • tyrants
  • slavers
  • invaders
  • murderers/assassins
Monsters:
  • dragons
  • orcs, goblins, giants, etc.
  • wolf in sheep's clothing (changeling, doppleganger, vampire, succubus, etc.)
  • faeries
  • 'save my crops/basement/attic from' type of monster (ankheg, rats, etc.)

Remove ads