What are some of the most iconic monster groups, clans, races, organizations, etc. in fantasy rpgs?
01. Goblinoids (Goblins & Hobgoblins)
02. Orcs / Orks
03. (Basic) Undead (zombies & ghouls) + necromancers
04. Vampires & Liches
05. Serpentfolk (Yuan-ti)
06. Dark Elves
09. Mushroomfolk (Myconids)
10. "Dark" Dwarves (Chaos Dwarves, Durgar)
12. Elementals /Djinni
14. Kobolds / Gnolls
17. Sahuagin / Fishmen
20. Dryads, nymphs, shambling mound, ent, etc.
21. Centaurs, Minotaurs, Werewolves, etc.
What do you think?
Lots of great replies already for describing monster groups, so I'll just share the three basic organizations that monsters form:
* The Cult: a mysterious, invite-only clique, often plagued with disturbing history and ongoing internal strife. Favorite pasttimes include performing rituals, kidnapping villagers, and hexing townships. Typical cults are run by evil-aligned humans, but you'll find some run by orcs, changelings, and even lizardfolk.
* The Clan: a hierarchal, Hobbesian war party. Ruled by the strongest of the moment, clans often lack a long-term vision, focusing merely on short-term gains and opulence. Loyalty is prized among top leaders, with the threat of banishment keeping lower members from betraying their group. The preferred mode of governance for chaotic-aligned monsters like goblins, trolls, and giants.
* The Kingdom: a tiered society complete with a royal family, a class of nobles, and a plurality of commoners. In name, rule of law is supposed to be strongest out of the three, though corruption varies from minimal to widespread. Lawful-leaning monsters such as elves, dwarves, and vampires gravitate toward the stability of kingdom-based governance.