Most Important Questions to Ask at Session 0

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
If I freed them from their prisons
If I shuffled their mortal coils
I think I'd feel fantastic, somewhat more than fine
Some elves just need a kilin', and that's where I draw the line.

Far from Elvish forests, that's where I want to stay
But when I see those soulless elves my sword just needs to slay

aramis erak

Legend
What do you want to do?
What gets veiled/faded to black?
What's totally off-limits/lined-out?

Most other things are game dependent...

For Star Trek, for example...
Ship, Station, or Special Team?
Which Trek Universe? (SFU, TOS/TAS/TMovie only, TNG/DS9/Voy & TNG Movies only, All broadcast Trek, Kelvinverse, CBS streaming?
ENT, Early Years, Disco S1-2, Pike/Cage, TOS, TOSMovie, Missing Years, TNG era, DS9/dominion war, Post DS9 & TNG Movies, between time, Picard? (I won't run Disco S3/S4...)
Peacetime, Wartime, high tension non-wartime?

aramis erak

Legend
^ This. It is important to establish some bounderies. Are there topics any of your players are not okay with? Is there adult content, and if so, how will you handle it?
Ironically, the thing most often veiled by my players isn't adult content... it's shoppy-store. they want to just buy the stuff at list price and not interact with the merchants.

Ironically, the thing most often veiled by my players isn't adult content... it's shoppy-store. they want to just buy the stuff at list price and not interact with the merchants.

I wish.

My guys will burn half a session on shopping when they hit a sizeable city with money in hand..

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
  • Type of game you want to play? Sci-fi, Fantasy (high/low), pulp, mix, Dark, Deadly, etc...
  • Find out what is off limits in game - sex, drug use, S&M, etc...
  • When to play or not to play - do you have a full party or is Bob not feeling well?
  • Provide General Knowledge to the players - What is to the north, south, east and west, who is the bad guys, House Rules, when to side bar, etc...
  • Players tell the GM about the characters family - just questions people should know.
  • Have the players tell you why they are adventures.
  • Have the players tell you how the characters met.

hopeless

Adventurer
How would your characters react when they confront a Fey who flees back to what they call their Refuge and pursuing them they find themselves aboard an ancient spaceship lying on the surface of the moon that orbits their world and their foe walking through an ancient druids grove in essence the only part of the ship that remains habitable where every tree represents the gravestone of a Fey and their foe is the last surviving member of this community.
Killing this Fey dooms your group to a slow painful death as they have no means of returning and the only way to safely return requires they agree to not harm this Fey so it can return them.
And they need to keep this pledge as if this grove dies so does eventually all life on the world below as its existance is dependant on that grove flourishing meaning one day that Fey will seek a replacement guardian the whole reason for their actions on their world.
Sorry all this talk got me thinking.
How would you react if THIS came up in a Session Zero?

aramis erak

Legend
How would your characters react when they confront a Fey who flees back to what they call their Refuge and pursuing them they find themselves aboard an ancient spaceship lying on the surface of the moon that orbits their world and their foe walking through an ancient druids grove in essence the only part of the ship that remains habitable where every tree represents the gravestone of a Fey and their foe is the last surviving member of this community.
Killing this Fey dooms your group to a slow painful death as they have no means of returning and the only way to safely return requires they agree to not harm this Fey so it can return them.
And they need to keep this pledge as if this grove dies so does eventually all life on the world below as its existance is dependant on that grove flourishing meaning one day that Fey will seek a replacement guardian the whole reason for their actions on their world.
Sorry all this talk got me thinking.
How would you react if THIS came up in a Session Zero?
Walk away, as the GM has control and "I've got a story" issues.

Remove ads