• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most mispronounced monster names

reveal

Adventurer
Henry said:
On the Drizzt Pronunciation:

R.A. Salvatore insists it's DRIZZ-T, with the "ZZ" and the "TUH" sound next to one another.

HOWEVER:

In one of the Homeland novels, Drizzt first meets a human child who is scared of him; he pronounces his name to the child (unable to speak common himself), and the child runs, screaming,

"HELP! IT'S A DRIZZIT!"

So maybe he changed his mind? :)

In either the first or second book, it's been a while since I read them, during Drizzt's first foray aboveground, he met a child and an incident occurred as described above. As far as I can recall, Drizzt didn't like that because that wasn't his name.

That's why I pronouce it DRIZZ-T. :)

IcyCool

First Post
reveal said:
For those like me too lazy to scroll down:

To add to the list and fully answer eris404's questions:

Dragonne = Drah-GONE (hold the N for a bit)
Cthulu = Ka-THOO-Loo (This is how I've always heard it pronounced)
Paladin = PAL-uh-din
Braziers = Bray-zurs (rhymes with hay-furs) = Things you burn coals in.
brassiere = Brah-zeer = Women's undergarments.
acolytes = ack-oh-lights
Psion = sigh-on
Galeb Duhr = Gay-leb Der

sniffles

First Post
Well it's nice to see that there's a pronunciation guide somewhere, but why can't they put those in the monster manuals? Oriental Adventures had some pronunciation guidelines for some of the Asian monsters. It would be great to do that for everything.

OTOH, a lot of the time I don't think anyone needs to be able to say the monster's name. If the adventurers have never seen one before, they won't know its name. :D

This isn't a pronunciation issue, but yesterday I had to explain to my GM what a minaret is. He thought that was what you call the "onion" domes. :)

ssampier

First Post
daemon.

I assume it should be pronounced "demon", but I pronounce it as dee-A-mon.

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Gesundheit.

Na zdrowie*

*I'm assuming that's how it's spelled. I met a Polish exchange student that used that expression a lot

Remove ads