Most mispronounced monster names

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Rykion said:
Bullette is only mispronounced because people pronounce it the way it should be pronounced. The -ette ending comes to English from French and is properly pronounced like the -et in bullet. I don't know why they insisted on Bullette being pronounced Bool-ay.

Edit: The french would pronounce Bullette roughly like the English pronounce bullet. Now the word bullet in French would be pronounced bool-ay.
I pronounce "bullette" "land shark" . . .

mattcolville

Adventurer
Eric Anondson said:
Something often encountered, not necessarily a monster.

Blackguard

Pronounced: "BLA gerd".

Yeah, I pronounce it "blaggard." Because, basically, that's how it's pronounced. But since most of the people I play with and talk to have never heard or encountered the word outside D&D, I end up saying "Black guard." Eh, what can you do?

davidschwartznz

First Post
ssampier said:
daemon.
I assume it should be pronounced "demon", but I pronounce it as dee-A-mon.
It's the Latin spelling of the Greek 'daimon', both pronounced die-mon. 'Demon' is a corrupt version of it (corrupt in the etymological sense ;) ). It's a synonym of the Latin 'genius' which is similar to the Arabic 'djinni' which is why we have the word 'genie'. And although we don't use the orignal meanings of 'demon' or 'genius' anymore, we still have the concept in another classical word, 'muse'.

Now you've done it: you've unleashed my inner pedagogue!

ssampier said:
daemon.

I assume it should be pronounced "demon", but I pronounce it as dee-A-mon.

Maybe.

But from an old-school D&D Standpoint.

Devil: Lawful Evil Denizen of the 9 Hells.

Demon: CE Denizen of the Abyss

DAEMON: NE Denizen of Hades (Gehenna?).

I pronounce it Damon, as in Matt Damon (who, after all sold his soul to a Daemon in return for a movie career).

Captain Tagon

First Post
mattcolville said:
Yeah, I pronounce it "blaggard." Because, basically, that's how it's pronounced. But since most of the people I play with and talk to have never heard or encountered the word outside D&D, I end up saying "Black guard." Eh, what can you do?

Bleh, maybe. Unfortunately the way they chose to spell the word is atrocious. And the class Blackguard's relation to the english word pronounced blaggard isn't exactly perfect. Whne I think the class Blackguard I don't think a "scoundrel", an "uncprincipled person", or a "foul-mouth". Those can be parts of the deal, but don't nearly sum up the whole.

Besides, who would name their evil order the Blaggards? Sounds like they are choking to death.

Remove ads