• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most spells available at first level?

Ellington

First Post
Apparently, 5th edition is going to have vancian spells scale in power based on the spell slot they're prepared in rather than the caster's level. Would it be possible to have most, if not all, of the spells available at first level? Let's take Fireball, for instance. It could start out as a single target damage spell when put into a level 1 spell slot, increase in damage in a level 2 spell slot and when put into a level 3 spell slot it would gain an area of effect.

Level 1: 2d6 damage
Level 2: 4d6 damage
Level 3: 5d6 damage, 20 ft radius

When put into higher level spell slots the radius and damage would increase, as well as potentially more powerful effects such as lighting the targets on fire and knocking them prone. Hell, at level 9 you could practically have a Meteor Swarm.

This could also work for non-damage spells such as the traditional silent image spell. When put into a first level spell slot you could make an illusory image without sounds, in a second level spell slot you could add sound and smell, and at higher level spell slots you could even have it encompass entire areas functioning as illusory terrain. Charm Person could evolve into Dominate Person when put into a high spell slot and eventually turn into Dominate Monster at the highest level. Summon Monster would summon gradually stronger monsters, removing the need for multiple spells. Bigby's Hand could start out as a minor utility spell and later turn into the grasping and crushing variants. Dispel magic isn't hard to envision growing from level 1 into its 9th level counterpart, Disjunction. Polymorph would allow more and more forms as the levels increased. It would even allow players that want to be teleporting wizards to be able to take Dimension Door straight up at first level. They just wouldn't be very good at it.

You get the idea. I guess there are some spells like Time Stop and Gate which would be hard to scale from level one (although technically Time Stop could be the 9th level slot of Haste...), so some of them might only be available later on. I don't know, I haven't thought this out completely. But to me, this would free up a lot of space and would probably be more accessible to newer players, while still allowing for pretty much all of the incarnations of spells we love from older editions.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Ugh! Spell write-ups will get VERY long, indeed. And it will no longer be easy to know "all the first level spells" in detail. Much harder to choose simple stuff early and not worry about the more advanced stuff til you get there, I think...

I suspect this will also make it harder to homebrew a spell, because you will no longer be able to write up a spell you're interested in, and THEN balance it partly by deciding what level it should be. Instead, you're going to have to give it nine full levels of balanced variables. A real challenge! Unless, of course, homebrewers ignore this feature, which I suspect many will.

Ellington

First Post
Ugh! Spell write-ups will get VERY long, indeed. And it will no longer be easy to know "all the first level spells" in detail. Much harder to choose simple stuff early and not worry about the more advanced stuff til you get there, I think...

But there won't be over a hundred spells to remember. You could have around 20-30 for the wizard, and with a glance you could see how they'd progress from level to level. Spell write-ups might get a bit longer, but the overall page count and stuff to learn would be a LOT shorter. We're talking hundreds of pages.

Henry

Autoexreginated
What you're talking about is not too dissimilar to a powers/trappings system, like Mutants and Masterminds or Savage Worlds. I suspect a lot of people won't like that style of spell format, especially from a "unifying editions" standpoint.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I suspect some spell effects will have minimum or fixed levels. I'm back and forth on combining spell effects into single scalable spells. I really like the idea for "I cause fire damage" and similar things. It just saves pagecount and column space. I'm much more skeptical about things like Polymorph and Summon. I really think that one of the primary game-slowers is when the caster stops to ponder the entire creature catalog for the best choice. I'd prefer them to be split up into separate spells like:
Frogform Curse which turns someone into a frog, until some event you specify occurs.
Seagull's Flight which turns you into a seagull until you land.
Summon Vrock one of them shows up for you. Maybe build in a "turns on you" chance.
Interrogate Imp an Imp appears and answers questions for you.

Personally, I wouldn't even mind if they scattered these around splatbooks as they introduce new monsters/creatures.

Of course, not knowing how they intend to structure magic/casting, this is all speculation.

Remove ads