D&D 5E Mostly Useless Things in 5E?

happyhermit

Adventurer
How much more useless is it of you to start a meta-discussion tangent, then? Maybe you should just ignore such things, like you did the much more heinous things that went on throughout the edition war.

I usually do ignore things like this (negative threads about subjective opinions typically posted as fact), but other times I have felt the need to point out how each of the things mentioned, while not fitting that particular play-style or game, might in fact be perfectly suited to another one.

It rarely gets anywhere, because people who frame things in that way from the start (wrong because it is wrong for me (or even most people)) instead of (wrong for me because...) seem to be fixed on that point of view.

This is a discussion forum, and my intent was simply to suggest that these things are subjective, without picking apart each one individually. Was it "needed" probably not, but then I suppose neither was your edition wars comment, or even this thread if you look at it that way.

hejtmane

Explorer
I find Medium armor a good buffer between getting your dex maxed out on a toon for asi on dex based characters where studded + dex match half plate + 2

Great for Barbs lets say you have 16 14 16 as your stats for str dex and con you take mountain dwarf to maximize the toon giving you 18 14 18

That is a 16 ac while half plate +2 =17ac your first asi will most likely be polearm, gwm or str most likely so it gives you a buffer in the asi on AC until the natural AC passes it up. It has quite a few nice spots to fill in gaps until ASI make them not needed

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is a discussion forum, and my intent was simply to suggest that these things are subjective, without picking apart each one individually.
I got that your intent was to be dismissive.
Was it "needed" probably not, but then I suppose neither was your edition wars comment, or even this thread if you look at it that way.
I think we can disagree to agree, there.

Medium armour is not mostly useless, but is (mechanically) limited to those that have medium but not heavy armour proficiency and a lower DEX. There are a fair few PCs like that. But, mechanically, for most PCs INT is the dump stat of choice ;)

As the title says. Various thigns that are mostly uselss in 5E IMHO.

1. Intelligence saves. There is a few spells (I can only think of feeblemind) and things like Mind FLayers and Intellect devourers. Unless you are a wizard intelligence seems to be the ultimate dump stat. No bonus skills or even languages mkaes it a really crappy stat for most classes.

2. Medium armor. Attacks are keyed off strength and dex so maxng one or the other is often a good idea. Medium armour is a bit better with 4d6 drop the lowest and a decent roll, along with spellcasters lacking proficiency in heavy armor. MAD s still a thing in 5E. Gets better if you can key your physical attacks off a spell casting stat (Nature clerics, Tomelocks, Dragonkin race).

Internet forums. 90% of what gets discussed on Enworld has no bearing on my ability to actually make my game better. There's a bunch of rules questions, second-guessing 5E design decisions (as opposed to: brainstorming house rules), build optimization theorycrafting, complaints about 5E adventures, etc.

The other 10% is pretty good, but I'm increasingly finding that OSR blogs have a better signal-to-noise ratio than web forums.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It wasn't, I already explained what the intent was and how it wasn't facetious or dismissive, so I will leave it at that.
simply to suggest that these things are subjective, without picking apart each one individually
I'll grant that's not terribly facetious, mainly because the OP wasn't deserving of much seriousness or gravity. But it was certainly dismissive, you waved it away as 'subjective' and refused to lay any groundwork or actually address anything about it. You've carefully continued to do so, as well, spending far more energy denying it than it would have taken to cut the OP to ribbons on it's limited merits.

Yup I meant purely mechanically.

EDIT: at this post
Not for those of us who don't want a constant party full of idiots. Every stat matters, even if it doesn't have a direct mechanical subfeature. Role-playing is a thing in a role-playing game.

Medium Armour would be great for recreating my first, and only, AD&D PC was a Half-Orc Ftr/Ass, based on the guy on the front of the City System boxed set. I normally DM but had a chance to play and that was my PC. I can make him easily in 5E, and he would be wearing chain, then upto breastplate with Medium Armour Master, as a rogue > Ftr type. But as I still DM not really going to happen!

Remove ads