D&D 5E Mostly Useless Things in 5E?

I've been questioning disengage a lot lately. Casters should use shocking grasp or misty step, and anyone with decent armor should use the dodge action instead of disengage.

Edit: disengaging with a bonus action, a la rogue, on the other hand is good.

5E can be measurably improved by removing the Disengage action from the game entirely as a variant rule. The way this works:

You can move at full speed forward or half speed backward on your turn. If you move out of someone's threat range backward, you don't take an opportunity attack. If you move out of someone's threat range without going backward, you are turning your back on them, and they get an opportunity attack.

Consequences:
(1) Thieves that want to use Disengage will now Dash backward instead.
(2) The whole issue with "does an incorporeal creature that moves through a wall trigger an opportunity attack or not?" disappears.
(3) Opportunity attacks (kind of) make sense.
(4) Because of #3, a DM can now easily determine whether, for example, you ought to get an opportunity attack against a paralyzed creature. (The answer is obvious: 'yes.')

Tony Vargas

Legend
I didn't feel like being negative in an already negative OP thread, and taking apart people's points to demonstrate that they were subjective was the only alternative to stating that generally.
Not the only alternative, if you found some flaw in those points, you could address them that way, quite possibly in a positive manner. OTOH, being dismissive is also negative, just negativity directed at the individual, rather than the game or the point being made.

In fact, I might argue that you haven't really disagreed with me that discussions that meet the criteria I pointed out are "mostly useless".
I might not disagree with that argument. ;)
You responded with tangents about how much worse things were in other situations and that I should ignore things.
The boards have a history, in that context, Zard's current behavior is nothing to get upset or insulting about. And, yeah, threads like this go away faster if ignored than if engaged. FWIW.

I'll grant that's not terribly facetious, mainly because the OP wasn't deserving of much seriousness or gravity. But it was certainly dismissive, you waved it away as 'subjective' and refused to lay any groundwork or actually address anything about it. You've carefully continued to do so, as well, spending far more energy denying it than it would have taken to cut the OP to ribbons on it's limited merits.
I don't think that anyone believes Zardnar was claiming to speak universal truths in the OP, just laying out his personal opinions. You can point out that someone's opinions might be based on rather shaky foundations, but in the end it is Zardnar's opinion and even if he is the only one to hold those beliefs, he is still allowed to state them.
Pointing out that they are subjective isn't always necessary, but I know that I don't always remember to preface my remarks with "I think . . .
" or a similar indication of opinion as well.

Medium armour is not mostly useless, but is (mechanically) limited to those that have medium but not heavy armour proficiency and a lower DEX. There are a fair few PCs like that. But, mechanically, for most PCs INT is the dump stat of choice ;)
Likewise Flasheart is telling us of his experiences. Its evident that other people's experiences have demonstrated very different approaches by other players. That doesn't invalidate what Flasheart's has seen, it just shows that different people/groups have different styles and attitudes. I doubt that that is news to anyone.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Medium armor is also great if you don't have the strength for heavy or the dexterity for light. I find it to be decent upgrade for low to moderate dex and strength caster types like druids or clerics.

I've used the Disengage action more than a few times. It's not perfect, but sometimes it fits when you want to move away from a melee without doing anything to attract attention.

Int is a dump stat for most classes. My pride doesn't like to play characters with below average intelligence.

Remove ads