D&D 5E MotM: thoughts on races in Monsters of the Multiverse

JEB

Legend
I hope they don't get rid of the Half-Elf or the Half-Orc.
I think MOTM pretty strongly indicates the half-orc as presented in the 2014 rules will be replaced by the new orc. Half-orcs could potentially remain as some kind of lineage option, though (as in Van Richten's). Or they may quietly remove them and never mention them again, who knows.

They could also turn the half-elf into a lineage option, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see the half-elf stay even if they remove the half-orc as its own race.

The other benefit is also really useful and really hard to anticipate its use: no one within 30' can attack you with advantage. You are less likely to be taken down by an enemy rogue, but who this benfits most is someone who is always falling prone in melee. Is that a thing?
I already noted this on the previous version, but this is pretty nice on a barbarian who wants to reckless attack all the time without the drawback.

GreyLord

Legend
We are currently playing a 5e campaign. The races in MotM are the only things OUTLAWED in the campaign itself right now.

There is balance, and then there is inherently unbalanced from what I've seen. If this is how they are going to craft the races in the future, I think there are some default races which will stop being played. Then again, they may not include all these races in the future as the default. Some are clearly superior to others.

I am using the Monsters in the book though.

One other thing that this campaign is teaching me, I REALLY dislike having to refer to multiple books at a time for classes and other options. Sticking only to One book next time (the PHB) is looking more and more appealing. I have my 5e books that we are using in a filecase!

Available are PHB, Tasha's, Xanathar's, and SCAG's are the primary class options and that seems overwhelming at times. Using Mordekainen's, Fizban's, and MM for monsters isn't as bad (note, MotM do not include the Monsters from Fizban's) but still annoying. Perhaps the Anniversary edition will combine everything into one book again (would be a THICK book) so I don't have all this page turning at times....especially at level ups and right after to see if I understand what their new abilities and such are.

Remove ads