• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

Rechan

Adventurer
jonrog1 said:
A dig-in-and-anchor fighter is going to be different from a swashbuckler at level one, and effective as an anchor Fighter at level one.
So you CAN do a swashbuckler in 4e with a fighter?

Ahglock

First Post
Incenjucar said:
Worse comes worse, "Secondary Skills."

They were a fun little tack on in 2e.

Well yeah secondary skills weren't exactly brilliant, I just think its better than saying poof it doesn't really exist for PCs because really who needs to know masonry as an adventurer.

A'koss

Explorer
jonrog1 said:
I'm not going to give out any comparative details. i thought all the classes my group played not only played well, but had extraordinarily distinctive play styles. I will say that while the Paladin was super shiny, the Fighter for me had the lock on fun and useful "techniques" (I refuse to call them powers. But that's me). I can totally see how you'll not only be able to customize your Fighter, but how once you've made your choices you will have the tactics available to you that are immediately useful. A dig-in-and-anchor fighter is going to be different from a swashbuckler at level one, and effective as an anchor Fighter at level one.
Up until now I wasn't even sure if you'd be able to build anything other than a "tank" fighter. I'm ecstatic to hear you can build a swashbuckling fighter in 4e - awesome! I was afraid the Rogue was going to kill the swashy buckle and steal all his stuff. :lol:

Favorite monster -- again, you've got to throw out how you think of monsters.
I get that it's much more a "team" effort with the majority of monsters now in 4e, but there's still gotta be ones that stand out... :cool:

Incenjucar

Legend
You know what could be fun?

Profession Classes.

You level up in your profession more or less independently of your class levels. Basically has jackall to do with the standard game outside of complex crafting rules, perhaps with rules resembling "social combat."

Something profession-happy people can sink their gold into without anyone else having to give a hoot.

Ahglock

First Post
Incenjucar said:
Eh.

Would an adventurer continue studying masonry WHILE adventuring?

Maybe, maybe not kind of depends on how time driven the campaign is, how much downtime etc. Though if 4e follows the SAGa you are either trained or not trained model, its largely irrelevant since you become trained in your background and don't normally pick up more skills, you just improve everything as you level. and under that style of system the more logical question would be are all adventurers born and raised to just be adventurers?

Ahglock

First Post
Incenjucar said:

Profession Classes.

You level up in your profession more or less independently of your class levels. Basically has jackall to do with the standard game outside of complex crafting rules, perhaps with rules resembling "social combat."

Something profession-happy people can sink their gold into without anyone else having to give a hoot.

wouldn't bother me to have in the game. Maybe I don't play with enough optimizers or something but removing these kind of abilities for every one of my players strips I'd say 30-40% of there abilities that they actively choose. So there removal is a big game style shift for us.

Gundark

Explorer
Rechan said:
You two seem to know the 4e boards enough, you've seen the threads. What do you think is the biggest misconception or concern that doesn't pan out that people here have about 4e?

Yeah this is a good question.

Also do you find 4e easier to develop for?

PeterWeller

First Post
Incenjucar said:

Profession Classes.

Careful, Dude; WoW has professions that level independently of class. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads