• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movie quotes- broken record or inspiring

KnowTheToe

First Post
You are all hopeless.

I think the part that scares me the most is the vast amount of quotes certain people have at their disposal. I wonder how many movies they have seen and how many times they have seen each one to memorize the lines. I think the overuse of quotes comes down to not knowing how to interact with people and they try and use the quoting as a way to overcome that.

mojo1701

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
I think the part that scares me the most is the vast amount of quotes certain people have at their disposal. I wonder how many movies they have seen and how many times they have seen each one to memorize the lines. I think the overuse of quotes comes down to not knowing how to interact with people and they try and use the quoting as a way to overcome that.

Two points:

1. So, if I came up to you and said, "No. I AM YOUR FATHER!" you wouldn't know which movie this comes from?
2. These are quotes that stick out in your mind. And some (i.e. me) have near-photographic memories when it comes to TV (I don't know why). Every Monday morning, I would be at school, and would be able to comment (in detail) about last night's episode of "The Simpsons" et al.

Darthjaye

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
You are all hopeless.

I'm not sure your observation can be even remotely accurate. I have worked in the customer service industry for more than 15 years now. I am great with people and holding a conversation as well as great inter-personal skills. I know others that are the same and they love coming to work, or when we're hanging out, quoting from their favorite media. Like it has been pointed out, this is not a lack of knowing how to interact, but more of a cultural thing of the times.
To be honest, if i were to name the thing which would seemingly be a sign of a lack of good interaction skills (and i for one love it) i would say the internet seems to prove your point of this lacking. The internet helps people who can't interact on a personal level more willing and able to do so.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I am really only referring to people who relate everything back in movie quotes. I have had players who will spend half of game sessions quoting movies or relating how some story reminds him of this scene in a movie. I have only met a few people like that, but I could also be way off base as well. I just think it is wierd.

Almost everybody uses quotes at times and they can enhance a coversation, or even drive a conversation. I think my most used qute is "Laugh it up fuzz ball", I use it when my wife is laughing at me for any number of stupid things I might do.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Regarding shared movie experiences, it's not new to movies. People have been doing it as men and women have been telling stories. Everything from favorite religious passages to stories count as shared experiences that focus mankind's identity as a group or tribal-oriented creature.

Heck, Greeks were probably quoting catchy passages of the Iliad back to one another when watching Olympic events 2500 years ago. :)

Darthjaye

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
I am really only referring to people who relate everything back in movie quotes. I have had players who will spend half of game sessions quoting movies or relating how some story reminds him of this scene in a movie. I have only met a few people like that, but I could also be way off base as well. I just think it is wierd.

Almost everybody uses quotes at times and they can enhance a coversation, or even drive a conversation. I think my most used qute is "Laugh it up fuzz ball", I use it when my wife is laughing at me for any number of stupid things I might do.

Well, I hope i didn't come off too abrasive. Just meant to imply that most people nowadays are exposed to so much media in one form or another that they tend to have it running through their heads a lot. So when they see something funny or 'cool' they tend to relate it with something they are doing. Us gamers tend to be creative, and some of us, when we see it, tend to want to emulate or relate something we've seen into our personal gaming as well.

We all tend to find our personal 'quote' though from tv, movies, or books. Personally most of my favorite quotes are from a quirky little movie called "Big Trouble in Little China". A gamers movie if I ever saw one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads