• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies of Games: Why are they always so bad?

Sulimo

First Post
Re: Re: Movies of Games: Why are they always so bad?

Ranger REG said:
Something like Tomb Raider, which is now in production for a sequel.

Yeah. I didnt mind TR...and am really hoping the TR team have a better script to work with this time. If anything, TR showed (to me) the possibilities if they get the right story.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Don't spoil me. I'd like to be surprised. Then again, I'd probably skip the theater and wait for it on DVD.

Speaking of DVD, I'm thinking of getting the Resident Evil movie. Yeah, I got a thing for Milla. Is it good?

Last edited:

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
The D&D movie was a fun bit of adventure fluff. Clue is a wonderfully funny movie based on a board game I don't really like. Resident Evil was very cool. Tomb Raider was fun, but was kind of fluffy (which isn't a bad thing). The Final Fantasy movie was a very spiritual movie. I think a major part of why people feel so many of these movies suck is because they go in expecting to see the game on the big screen. Not someone elses idea of what the game is. It's just a matter of to each their own.

Ranger REG

Explorer
It's either everyone's perception of the game, which can actually vary among individuals, or the story used to tell about the "game world." For me, I like game world to come true-to-life. I am willing to suspend my real-world belief because in the "game world" it is natural to jump or fly higher than normal.

Of course, the storyline has to be plausible but also has enough twists and turns to take me on a ride throughout the movie from beginning to end, like the way xXx took me through when you know it promotes extreme sports and incorporate those elements creatively and yet intelligently (see my previous statement about suspending belief).

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Speaking of DVD, I'm thinking of getting the Resident Evil movie. Yeah, I got a thing for Milla. Is it good?
Yeah, it's worth picking up. You can't go wrong with zombies, man, along with a few other thingies from the games. It's an entertaining movie. Special features include a commentary, I think 5 featurettes (which I haven't watched yet, but the case claims they're on there), and a music video. The movie's good enough that I'm hoping that the sequel happens.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I personally thought the Resident Evil movie was very analogous to the Final Fantasy movie. Both were good enough to stand on their own, but were not as good as the games they were based on.

On the Resident Evil movie, its just not the same as the games. The zombies look so...well...alive. I don't look at them and think "those things are corpses that are still moving!", I think "those are actors in some make-up hissing at the other actors". The atmosphere of hopelessness and edge-of-your-seat terror just isn't there either. Worst of all, there is no Tyrant at all. I'm sorry, but they should have just changed a few things and changed the title to something else, just like for the Final Fantasy movie.

That article is interesting, though the last question's answer is very ironic. The second movie will be Resident Evil 2: Nemesis huh? That's going to make a lot of peoples' brows furrow as they say to themselves "But I was so sure Resident Evil 3 was Nemesis". Not starting out on the right foot in my opinion.

A bit closer to topic, I think movies based on games suck (which almost all do) because the directors and whoever else writes the script ultimately try to please everyone and end up pleasing no one. How? They try to keep it part of the game while pulling away from it as well.

Obviously, a direct remake of the game won't work in most cases. People have already played the games, and they don't just want to see the same scenes and the same lines redone by actors (especially when newer and newer games have so many CG cut-scenes). At the same time, they can't just make the game entirely new, or it might as well not be based on the game at all. This is exacerbated by the fact that not everyone out there has played the game but the movie-makers want as many people to come see the movie, so it has to be different enough from the game to draw in people who otherwise wouldn't be interested, which includes retelling of backstory that people who have played the games don't care for, since they tend to already know it backwards and forwards.

While that ultimately sounds like an ideal recipe for a hit film, it's one of those things that just can't seem to make the jump from theoretical to practical (with a few exceptions, such as the Mortal Kombat movie). Instead, the fans of the game see it as not being close enough to game, and lacking the elements that made them enjoy the game itself. For them, while the movie may indeed stand on its own, they entered the theater with different expectations in mind, and all they see is that those expectations are unfulfilled. The minority of people who haven't already played the game/aren't fans of the game feel little better, since the director at some point realized that it was impossible to give full backstory for the characters and tell a new, complete story, and on some level the movie then does rely on the games for additional support, leaving the audience members that don't have that ultimately unsatisfied.

That's my take on it anyway.

Last edited:

Villano

First Post
I love both Mortal Kombat and Clue. Also, the Mortal Kombat series was excellent.

Sadly, it lasted only one season (but it did have the best finale I've ever seen...Evil wins and all the heroes die! :eek: ).

Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and Dungeons & Dragons were awful.

Haven't seen Resident Evi, yet.

OTOH, there are probably a hundred animes based on games, so there must be a few good ones hidden amongst them.

I've heard that Street Fighter Alpha (I think that's what it's called) is supposed to be good, but my anime viewing is limited to Cartoon Network, so I can't confirm this.

Last edited:

Severion

First Post
The D&D movie was bad because it had poor writing, lousy directing, and lackluster acting (except for the dwarf), the studio was reluctant to spend the money to make a good movie from the D&D game for its own reasons that we will probably never hear about. Most movies from games probably suffer from the same apathy (Clue got lucky).

My 2cp

Sixchan

First Post
Villano said:
I love both Mortal Kombat and Clue. Also, the Mortal Kombat series was excellent.

Sadly, it lasted only one season (but it did have the best finale I've ever seen...Evil wins and all the heroes die! :eek: ).

Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and Dungeons & Dragons were awful.

Haven't seen Resident Evi, yet.

OTOH, there are probably a hundred animes based on games, so there must be a few good ones hidden amongst them.

I've heard that Street Fighter Alpha (I think that's what it's called) is supposed to be good, but my anime viewing is limited to Cartoon Network, so I can't confirm this.

Now that you mention it, the Street Fighter 2 anime wasn't so bad. It wasn't GREAT, but it was OK.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads