Movies that I just don't get

takyris

First Post
JD: In a nutshell, yes. Staring out into the sunset. Staring out into the bloody sunset. That was the cause of my "If you slow down the game by staring off into the sunset while other people are trying to make plans, ninjas are going to leap out and pelt you with grenades" rule.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
TiQuinn said:
It's the movie that you can't stand that everyone else on God's green Earth seems to love.
Highlander. It wasn't that good of a movie when I was twelve, and it hasn't gotten any better with age; yet it's one of those movies that the gamer geek scene seems to deify.

If we're opening up the thread to TV shows, I'll add the entire reality TV genre and Buffy the Vampire Slayer; another of those shows the everyone around me loved that I found rather lackluster. If any one thing will be the cause of my relationship ending, it'll be my girlfriend's love of Buffy and my distain for it.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Jhamin said:
Mine is Tarentino Films.

Why is this man worshipped so? Lots of violence and gore. Much more foreward about it than most, which is a distinguishing feature I guess. But people worship these films.

I just never got it.

I agree, the one's I've seen have been Horrid.

I'll add;
Wild Things
I just don't get it. Sure, Denise Richards, but... ugh!

and Gattica, same, except I cant' stand Uma Thurman.

As for Anime, I dislike most of the genre, but I'm addicted to Inuyasha. It'd actually problably be more to my liking without some of the anime elements, but oh well. :)

KenM

Banned
Banned
One other film I hated was Signs. It was nothing like they promoted it as IMO. EVERYTIME they were going to show something good, the lights went out or something, until the end. They also never explained how the world/ socitey changed after the aliens came.

gregweller

First Post
I've never gotten 'Signs' either. I remember leaving the theatre and driving home, and getting increasingly irritated by the ending. Looking back it was almost funny--getting home and having my wife ask me 'how did you like the movie' and then going into this tirade for a good five minute and then breaking out laughing when she said 'well, I guess we won't be getting *that* on DVD'... Another one is 'Unforgiven'. I always thought that that is a movie I should like, loving most of Eastwood's westerns, but I've never been able to wrap my mind around it.

Turlogh

Explorer
Buckaroo Banzia(sp?), Naked Lunch, reality TV shows, Romantic Comedies, DragonBallZ. Really don't see the point/purpose of these.
I do like anime but only certian kinds (Vampire Hunter D, Slayers and Ninja Scroll are favorites), but wasn't very impressed with Princess Monanoke and Wings of the Hoanames (sp)

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm gonna win myself no friends with this, but rememeber you can't criticize taste... :)

Well, on the anime front, specifically DBZ and Evangelion. I've seen both (Eva all the way through), and thought they both were absolutely terrible.

On a related note, anime as an artistic medium. I just do not see the attraction in it - the total angularness of it just doesn't appeal to me.

The Simpsons. It was clever at first but got rapidly old. Sorry, but including as many pop culture references in half an hour as you can is not funny.

Sex and the City. Let's pretend we're about female empowerment when we take four common stereotypes and put them in situations where they worry about guys.

Any musical. Especially Rent. And I'm a huge fan of classical music and to a lesser extent opera.

Sandra Bullock. She's a terrible actress.

Carrottop, Rowan Atkinson, and most other physical actors. Any of Jim Carrey's physical humor stuff applies here too, but I think he's a great actor when he isn't doing it. And in Liar, Liar.

Minority Report. Didn't think it was that great, is all.

Remove ads