• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving towards no minis in 4e combat

Holy Bovine

First Post
I feel like I've entered Bizarro EnWorld - MerricB - Mr. Maxmini himself - is NOT USING MINIATURES!??!!11eleventy!

I gotta sit down *thud*

hailstop

First Post
Teleporting is what gets me. Push, Pull, various powers I can link up better... but how do I make Fey Step work so it's useful and fun while still not using a grid?

Use a monster to grab your Teleporting Weenie From Hell. Then describe the DM's...uh...monster's annoyance when he Feysteps out of his grasp. :lol:

Baumi

Adventurer
Regardless of the System, I usually don't use minis/maps for battles with only 1-3 enemies and bigger battles with some sort of visualization (mostly minis) because they tend to cause too many misunderstandings.

4E is more difficult because of the importance of maneuvering (zones, pushes, etc.) but so far my still worked fine without Minis on small battles.

La Bete

First Post
Generally with 4e, I run it without miniatures unless its a fairly big battle, in which case I use a dry-erase mat.

I manage this the same way as in previous editions (or other games) - describe the environment (often with a map or scrawled map), and modify the 4e principle of "Say Yes" to "Say Sure, Why Not".

It worked for me with flanky-mc-flank-flank rogues in 3e and the like, and seems to work fine in 4e.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I feel like I've entered Bizarro EnWorld - MerricB - Mr. Maxmini himself - is NOT USING MINIATURES!??!!11eleventy!

I gotta sit down *thud*

LOL

I only really started using minis after the DDM line came out. For the previous 20 years or so, most of my roleplaying was without minis.

Some sessions I use minis, others I don't.

At present, I'm trying to find a good way of storing Dungeon Tiles!

Cheers!

Holy Bovine

First Post
LOL

I only really started using minis after the DDM line came out. For the previous 20 years or so, most of my roleplaying was without minis.

Some sessions I use minis, others I don't.

At present, I'm trying to find a good way of storing Dungeon Tiles!

Cheers!

I use a little storage rack I got at WalMart here. It has proven invaluable and I put a small 'bead organizer' in the top drawer for the small pieces (it is a flat plastic container with little dividers in it and a lid).

Dausuul

Legend
I use a little storage rack I got at WalMart here. It has proven invaluable and I put a small 'bead organizer' in the top drawer for the small pieces (it is a flat plastic container with little dividers in it and a lid).

I use essentially the same thing for minis, although my storage racks have 3 drawers per rack and the drawers are all the same size... and I have four racks' worth and am contemplating a fifth.

As regards combat without minis, I haven't yet tried it in 4E, partly because one of my PCs is a taclord. I'm curious to see how it goes, though. I grew up playing without a battlemat and never even tried play with minis until a few years ago when I joined a new gaming group, so matless play comes naturally to me.

I've been toying with the idea of a kind of halfway form - playing with minis but without a grid. I'd sketch out the encounter map on a non-gridded whiteboard, and tell everyone to just eyeball distances and AoEs. Seems like that would provide the clarity of positioning that the battlemat offers, but reduce the "board-gameyness."

Last edited:

Garmorn

Explorer
Just be sure you don't have one of the rare gamers (like me) who can't keep a mental picture of the battle field in their head. I always get confused by the end of the second round. Lots of time by the end of the first. I don't know how common we are but there are some like me.

Remove ads