• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

Bahamuticus

First Post
Excel Spell sheet generator

Dudebro,

coming back to check in on you. It's been a while and I see you are busy as ever! I am hoping that things are working well for you and you're still cranking out all this awesome work. Couldn't PM you since I haven't posted in a while.. and I guess I need 5 posts.. whatevs.

Question for you; I know you put everything on DM's Guild, but I noticed that didn't include the Excel spreadsheet spell generator (unless I'm blind!). I see the work you've done on the PDF, which is awesome. So my question is kind of twofold.

Are you not updating the Excel anymore because of the PDF? And if so, is there any way you can add the "edit" to the spell PDF like you do with the character sheets? Like, the behind-the-scenes edit. I think it's called "mods".

I'm interested in tweaking the spell POINTS system on the PDF and I'm not sure how to do it without the mod button. Also, how have you been handling the wizard PDF and clicking which are "known" spells, and which are currently memorized? Maybe an extra column? Or a way to highlight? I have just dl'd it so I am still playing with it myself.

As always my friend, keep up the good work, and I honestly pray you have gotten to a point where you are just at home, chilling, working on D&D stuff and getting paid to do it. One day, I will be there (I hope!). Working on a book and then fleshing it out in homebrewery. Check out some of my craziness! It's all listed under DM Bahamut on DM's Guild.

MathimCaim

First Post
I noticed with my Seeker Warlock that you have conflicting invocations from Unearthed Arcana. Or rather you imported only the old version and not the new version from the revised ones. This is specifically the Warlock&Wizard and the Revised Classes from Unearthed Arcana (involving Warlocks). The Warlock&Wizard one was the early version and had a lot of requirements based on which was your Pact "Master" while the Revised which came later didn't have those requirements. Removing the Warlock&Wizard from the sources however removes all the Invocations completely instead of changing which the requirement for the new invocations are. An example (that is what made me notice this) is that in the first version (Warlock&Wizard) the Invocation for Aspect of the Moon which lets you ignore sleeping has a requirement for Archfey. However in the Revised version the Archfey is removed as requirement and instead you are required to have Pact of the Tome, this isn't reflected in the PDF.

Last edited:

Dudebro,

coming back to check in on you. It's been a while and I see you are busy as ever! I am hoping that things are working well for you and you're still cranking out all this awesome work. Couldn't PM you since I haven't posted in a while.. and I guess I need 5 posts.. whatevs.

Question for you; I know you put everything on DM's Guild, but I noticed that didn't include the Excel spreadsheet spell generator (unless I'm blind!). I see the work you've done on the PDF, which is awesome. So my question is kind of twofold.

Are you not updating the Excel anymore because of the PDF? And if so, is there any way you can add the "edit" to the spell PDF like you do with the character sheets? Like, the behind-the-scenes edit. I think it's called "mods".

I'm interested in tweaking the spell POINTS system on the PDF and I'm not sure how to do it without the mod button. Also, how have you been handling the wizard PDF and clicking which are "known" spells, and which are currently memorized? Maybe an extra column? Or a way to highlight? I have just dl'd it so I am still playing with it myself.

As always my friend, keep up the good work, and I honestly pray you have gotten to a point where you are just at home, chilling, working on D&D stuff and getting paid to do it. One day, I will be there (I hope!). Working on a book and then fleshing it out in homebrewery. Check out some of my craziness! It's all listed under DM Bahamut on DM's Guild.
I am indeed no longer updating the Excel and that is why I haven't moved it to DMs Guild (it is still here on ENworld).

The PDF spell sheet generation works very different than that of the Excel, as that you are prompted for your selection of spells and it puts those on the sheet. Once a sheet is generated, even if it is a completely empty sheet, you can modify all the fields freely, add/delete headers, spell level separators, and rows. These alterations are done with the button that is in front of every line on the sheet (see the tooltip for more info). It also allows you to set new spells, change the first-column checkbox, and more. As such, the PDF spell sheet offers many more options than the Excel ever did while also having higher quality graphics.
Thus, there is already an "edit" option for the spell sheets in the PDF, but it is not done via the "Mods" button.

The only downside is that the design can't be changed on the PDF like adding a column was done in Excel. Thus, a spellsheet for the wizard won't have two columns with checkboxes. But that is just an issue for those who want a list of all spells, which isn't very practical for a wizard, IMHO, because of the crazy amount of spells that is.

The PDF also offers a, albeit limited, way to use the Spell Points variant rules. Simply select that option from the Spells menu (i.e. the "Spells" button or "Spell Options" bookmark). There is no way to change these rules, however, as the sheet uses an image to set the numbers they aren't editable.

I noticed with my Seeker Warlock that you have conflicting invocations from Unearthed Arcana. Or rather you imported only the old version and not the new version from the revised ones. This is specifically the Warlock&Wizard and the Revised Classes from Unearthed Arcana (involving Warlocks). The Warlock&Wizard one was the early version and had a lot of requirements based on which was your Pact "Master" while the Revised which came later didn't have those requirements. Removing the Warlock&Wizard from the sources however removes all the Invocations completely instead of changing which the requirement for the new invocations are. An example (that is what made me notice this) is that in the first version (Warlock&Wizard) the Invocation for Aspect of the Moon which lets you ignore sleeping has a requirement for Archfey. However in the Revised version the Archfey is removed as requirement and instead you are required to have Pact of the Tome, this isn't reflected in the PDF.
When you add both the UA:WnW and the UA:RCO sources, you will see that the Invocations that appear in both, also appear twice in the list of invocations you can choose from. The list of invocations in the menu also shows the prerequisites and the source, so there shouldn't be any confusion which one you are selecting.

The behaviour you are describing is not one I can replicate. What version of the sheet are you using? Can you send a screenshot of the Invocation selection menu with only UA:RCO included and not UA:WnW? Or better yet, send me the affected PDF?

MathimCaim

First Post
When you add both the UA:WnW and the UA:RCO sources, you will see that the Invocations that appear in both, also appear twice in the list of invocations you can choose from. The list of invocations in the menu also shows the prerequisites and the source, so there shouldn't be any confusion which one you are selecting.

The behaviour you are describing is not one I can replicate. What version of the sheet are you using? Can you send a screenshot of the Invocation selection menu with only UA:RCO included and not UA:WnW? Or better yet, send me the affected PDF?

Might be me using different versions of the PDF for different characters, so might be my bad ^^

EDIT: Confirmed that it was so :p

Last edited:

chaosronin

Explorer
Hey MPMB I dont suppose you know off hand which fonts are not rendering were those square symbols are in the screenshots?

I'm running Adobe Reader DC under wine in Linux were we dont have easy access to some MS Core Fonts and have managed to figure out how to replace what fonts adobe renders with. So far I have replaced Segoe UI but I am not sure what the other fonts are called to attempt the same with them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Screenshots below

[SBLOCK]
Red Plus Class.png
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK]
Java Dialouge.png
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Hey MPMB I dont suppose you know off hand which fonts are not rendering were those square symbols are in the screenshots?

I'm running Adobe Reader DC under wine in Linux were we dont have easy access to some MS Core Fonts and have managed to figure out how to replace what fonts adobe renders with. So far I have replaced Segoe UI but I am not sure what the other fonts are called to attempt the same with them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Screenshots below
The blocks are for unicode characters. However, I have no idea what font Adobe uses for those. I have tried to find out, but haven't gotten anywhere. People using older version of Adobe Acrobat have reported similar issues which is probably related to using older OS, so I wanted to try and embed the unicode font into the PDF, or search for a way for people to install the font, but so far I haven't had any luck. I think Adobe Acrobat just uses the Windows unicode font and Microsoft doesn't exactly offer them for free.

As you are running Linux, you might just be able to run the ttf-mscorefonts-installer and get all the MS Core Fonts necessary.

If you find a solution, please let me know, because some other people have reached out with the same question.

chaosronin

Explorer
The blocks are for unicode characters. However, I have no idea what font Adobe uses for those. I have tried to find out, but haven't gotten anywhere. People using older version of Adobe Acrobat have reported similar issues which is probably related to using older OS, so I wanted to try and embed the unicode font into the PDF, or search for a way for people to install the font, but so far I haven't had any luck. I think Adobe Acrobat just uses the Windows unicode font and Microsoft doesn't exactly offer them for free.

As you are running Linux, you might just be able to run the ttf-mscorefonts-installer and get all the MS Core Fonts necessary.

If you find a solution, please let me know, because some other people have reached out with the same question.

Hmm, in File -> Preferences there is a Tab that apparently displays all the fonts used in the PDF. I will try the true tested but time consuming job of trail and error to try and figure out if its any of those fonts listed, but not tonight its 2am and I need to get to bed time flew on me >.<

Hmm, in File -> Preferences there is a Tab that apparently displays all the fonts used in the PDF. I will try the true tested but time consuming job of trail and error to try and figure out if its any of those fonts listed, but not tonight its 2am and I need to get to bed time flew on me >.<
The fonts listed there are the fonts that are embedded in the PDF, not the ones used by the PDF. I can assure you that none of them hold the unicode characters.

Astromath

First Post
Just found a problem, at least with the printer sheet latest version.

Goto equipment on page 2. Add an item to the last line of the last column above the attuned item heading. Then move down the item so it shows up under the attuned item heading. Here's the problem. The item disappears. It doesn't even appear on the extra equipment list.

Remove ads