• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

As far as the log sheet is concerned, WotC created the log sheet before they started using the milestone method. They just never updated the sheet to show it. I think their original intent was to put the milestone level up in where the XP is recorded. But I'm not sure about that. There's no easy answer to this question. Right now, I'm just putting in the XP I would have earned if I earned it without the milestone method. I suppose I could send off a suggestion to WotC about it.
Ahh I see what happened, I read the "Besides, there is a space on the AL sheet for this." in your previous post as meaning that there was space for this on the official WotC sheet, not as meaning that there was enough open space on my sheet to add it. That was were my confusion came from, as if I had somehow missed it on the official sheet >.<

Kronius

Explorer
As far as the log sheet is concerned, WotC created the log sheet before they started using the milestone method. They just never updated the sheet to show it. I think their original intent was to put the milestone level up in where the XP is recorded. But I'm not sure about that. There's no easy answer to this question. Right now, I'm just putting in the XP I would have earned if I earned it without the milestone method. I suppose I could send off a suggestion to WotC about it.

Well we only allow Milestones in the Introductory Adventures of A Great Upheaval and Death House. You technically gain the XP needed for the leveling up if you complete all of the tasks listed and if you played the entire time. Otherwise you gain just the XP you earned that is why on the log sheets provided in the adventure AGU it listed the full XP to level and listed the requirement in the notes section. It was not a real true milestone which is not legal in any other adventure for the AL. Just thought I would share that bit. Love the sheet btw. #AL_RC

Frank Fouls
US Great Lakes Regional Coordinator
D&D Adventurers League

Astromath

First Post
True, but even in chapter 2 and later gives guidance for leveling up by milestone.

In Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Tyranny of Dragons, you used the milestone method for both books. And, indeed, if you don't, you don't get enough XP to be the level you are supposed to be for the chapter you are adventuring in.

The Curse of Strahd also used milestones.

Last edited:

Well we only allow Milestones in the Introductory Adventures of A Great Upheaval and Death House. You technically gain the XP needed for the leveling up if you complete all of the tasks listed and if you played the entire time. Otherwise you gain just the XP you earned that is why on the log sheets provided in the adventure AGU it listed the full XP to level and listed the requirement in the notes section. It was not a real true milestone which is not legal in any other adventure for the AL. Just thought I would share that bit. Love the sheet btw. #AL_RC

Frank Fouls
US Great Lakes Regional Coordinator
D&D Adventurers League
Thank you for chiming in on this [MENTION=83263]Kronius[/MENTION]! I have no experience with AL, but as far as I could find online there is no support for the Milestone method, as you corroborated. Great to hear you like the sheet, hope it is a useful timesaver for AL players and organisers!

I guess the way [MENTION=78315]Astromath[/MENTION] has been doing it until now, added the XP for the next level, is the correct way of doing it.

The fact that you can use characters that have played through adventures that use the Milestone system is irrelevant (IMHO), as they will have to use XP once they are using in AL.

I have been really busy with a big new feature for the sheet that I can finally reveal! Along with a lot of small bugfixes and content fixes, the new version of the sheet comes with an all-new 'Direct Import' functionality.

Now you can simply point the sheet towards an other sheet you want to import the data from, and the sheet will do the rest. It will even import all the pages and icons/pictures!

Changelog for MPMB's Character Record Sheet v12.6 (27 November 2016):

• GRAND NEW FEATURE: import everything from your old sheet directly:

• No longer any need to first make an export file;
  • Imports icons (requires Acrobat Standard or Pro for user-defined icons);
  • Imports every page, including all notes, companion, wild shape, adventure log, and spell sheet pages;
  • Imports everything, regardless of old type (e.g. import your Colorfoul sheet into Printer Friendly and retain all values);
  • Imports all settings like font, font size, visible pages, visible sections, etc.

• NEW FEATURE: spells that are considered to be ‘always prepared’ such as the Cleric’s Domain Spells are now marked with a star instead of a check mark and can’t but unchecked by clicking on it. They can still be changed into a normal checkmark by using the menu (as suggested by Chris B.);
  • Added a reminder to update the spell sheet when selecting the druid circle of the land Circle Spells (as suggested by Chris B.);
  • Fixed an issue with multiclassing characters not having their class + level show up correctly on the Adventure Logsheets (thanks John R. for reporting);
  • Fixed an issue with the Organization Symbol not printing when set by picking a faction from the drop-down menu (thanks John R. for reporting);
  • Fixed the saving throw for Evard’s Black Tentacles to be Dexterity instead of Constitution (thanks Raikumi for reporting);
  • Fixed the saving throw for Enlarge/Reduce to be Constitution instead of Wisdom;
  • Fixed an issue with the headers of the Wild Shape pages not populating;
  • Fixed an issue with changing/removing subclass;
  • Fixed an issue with spell sheet generation and the Aasimar from VGtM (thanks guykaj for reporting).

Looking for the original Printer Friendly version with the artwork of the Wizards of the Coast official character sheet (Click here for the preview)?
Become a patron on Patreon, and you will get the Character Record Sheet, Spell Sheets per Class, and Adventure Logsheet with the WotC design!

Last edited:

pdegan2814

First Post
Direct Import is an AMAZING new feature. You rock, MPMB! Are there any requirements for it to work in terms of the version of the "source" sheet, or the program the new version is opened in?

The import functionality won't work with all versions of the sheet, but should be compatible with everything from v10 onwards (which was released in February, so I don't expect a lot of people still use it). The older the sheet, the more likely some field names have changed and the new sheet won't see it, but this will only really affect the deeper settings like which colour you have selected or if you want your coin weight to be added to the total or not.

It has no problems with moving between Colourful or Printer Friendly.

This feature will only work in Adobe Acrobat DC (Reader, Standard, or Pro). If you have Standard or Pro, you can even have the sheet import the images you added as a portrait/symbol/etc. Adobe restricted this functionality in Reader, so it won't work there unfortunately.

Getting this to work was a real handful and I had to opt for several workarounds. When you use this feature, you will see the sheet ask you to add a JavaScript file to your Adobe Acrobat installation. You will only have to do this once. Alternatively, you can run the code from the built-in console.
The only reason for doing it like this is because Adobe changed the way certain functions work in Acrobat, causing code to be run asynchronously, which is a pain.

Fabyo

Villager
Great as usual!!
A very big and interesting update! :D

But I have some problems, creating the sheet I choose the race "Tiefling" and it remains stuck on "applying race's features". Never had problems with your sheet until now. :eek:
This happens on both creating a PG from scratch and importing a "tiefling pdf player " with the new feature.

I would like also report you that:
- the Halfling Ghostwise template, in the "Score" page, has the right Abilities bonus but is reported as "Halfling Lightfoot" :)
- the familiar page (usually is the 5th page), even if the PDF is set on metric, shows the description of the spell with feet (10ft, 30ft, 100ft);
- the Tressym is missing his Darkvision 60ft "Senses" feature and his passive perception on the Storm King's Thunder manual is reported as 15 not 17.

Thank you as always for your great work!!

Last edited:

Great as usual!!
A very big and interesting update! :D

But I have some problems, creating the sheet I choose the race "Tiefling" and it remains stuck on "applying race's features". Never had problems with your sheet until now. :eek:
This happens on both creating a PG from scratch and importing a "tiefling pdf player " with the new feature.

I would like also report you that:

1. the Halfling Ghostwise template, in the "Score" page, has the right Abilities bonus but is reported as "Halfling Lightfoot" :)
  2. the familiar page (usually is the 5th page), even if the PDF is set on metric, shows the description of the spell with feet (10ft, 30ft, 100ft);
  3. the Tressym is missing his Darkvision 60ft "Senses" feature and his passive perception on the Storm King's Thunder manual is reported as 15 not 17.

Thank you as always for your great work!!
Thank you for reporting issues this fast! I updated them in the new sheet. I am especially kicking myself about the issue with the Tiefling. This was true for any race/class that would grant a resistance in some form or another. The formula for adding a resistance produced an error.

To your other points:

1. Good catch, I totally missed that one!
  2. Another good catch, those things were added without considering the metric system option. This has now been changed! Do note that upon importing the sheet will always copy the companion pages literally, so you will still see the imperial system. Switching back and forth to metric should remedy this.
  3. I totally missed the Tressym's darkvision apparently. However, when I add a Tressym the passive perception comes up as 15, not 17. Might you have added something in the modifier fields or changed the proficiency bonus?

This brings us to a small update:
Changelog for MPMB's Character Record Sheet v12.61 (28 November 2016):

• Updated the FAQ with regards to the new import functionality;
  • Fixed an issue with anything that added a resistance (thanks Fabyo for reporting);
  • Fixed the Darkvision 60 ft omission from the Tressym (thanks Fabyo for reporting);
  • Fixed the name of the Ghostwise Halfling (thanks Fabyo for reporting);
  • Fixed some issues with changing to the metric system and the companion page (thanks Fabyo for reporting).

Looking for the original Printer Friendly version with the artwork of the Wizards of the Coast official character sheet (Click here for the preview)?
Become a patron on Patreon, and you will get the Character Record Sheet, Spell Sheets per Class, and Adventure Logsheet with the WotC design!

Last edited:

RCanine

First Post
[MENTION=6788192]morepurplemorebetter[/MENTION]

Regarding the last bug with tiefling -- I don't know if you're interested, but when I was trying my hand at coding up some of the Volo's races, I wired up a set-up that uses webpack and babel to compile the code from modules. It could also allow you to write unit tests and use code-quality tools like eslint. If you're interested I could share that with you -- I don't know what voodoo you're using to build this thing. :)

Remove ads