D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Like Elminster with Wizards (people crunched the set, he can't be the Blue Planeswalker, that is likely Mordkainen after all, and FRs theft of Mord and Vecna is complete).

I'm going to be so nitpicky here, but I seriously don't know why you'd ever consider Mordenkainen, Vecna, or Acererak as Forgotten Realms characters (they're Greyhawk, or multi-setting). I also don't understand why you'd want FR to absorb other settings material if you truly believe FR is the greatest setting ever... surely if the other settings are worse, taking their stuff makes FR worse ;)?

Full disclosure, I find Greyhawk way better than FR because when I use it I can make something up without players contradicting me with lore they've googled from FR's wiki.

Yeah it’s a bit odd. Here’s my attempt to rationalize that decision:

1) Sorcerer isn’t a creature type in mtg. Prodigal Sorcerer, for instance, has the wizard type. Introducing the sorcerer type now would be a bit odd in light of cards like Prodigal Sorcerer.
2) They nonetheless wanted to differentiate d&d sorcerers from wizards with a creature type.
3) Red, being the colour of chaos, fire, lightning, and blasting, seems like a good fit for some of the most iconic d&d sorcerer tropes (blasting, wild magic, dragon-blooded)
4) Shaman is the primary Red caster type
5) Ergo, sorcerers are shamans.

That’s the best I can come up with. I think it holds up ok.

Very likely true, its still an issue they should resolve, the Shaman has an identity crisis. They should have gone with Spellshapers instead flavour wise, but its fine if weird.

Anyways if I'm right about the new enchant type being classes, do they call the Sorcerer class enchantment the Shaman Class or Sorcerer Class. And I suspect these Class Enchantments attach to the player themselves, like curses, but beneficial, not creature/lands/artifacts/planeswalkers/other enchantments. Maybe a mix of abilities and class tribal benefits.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
I still find it weird they made Sorcerers Shamans in AFR. I would not be surprised if some or all Shaman's get retconned to Sorcerers later.

Anyways there are supposed to be 12 classs cards (Druid, Cleric, Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, Monk, Warlock, Bard, Wizard, and Knight/Paladin, Fighter/Warrior, and Sorcerer Shaman). Are these cards going to just be archetypical class creatures, legendary Archtypical class creatures, or somekind of Enchantment that makes a creature a member of a class? Maybe its Legendary Creature with a class tribal mechanic? Like Elminster with Wizards (people crunched the set, he can't be the Blue Planeswalker, that is likely Mordkainen after all, and FRs theft of Mord and Vecna is complete). Or they might be Archtypical Gods of Classes, Silvanus Druids, Asmodeus Warlocks, Mystra Wizards, Corellon Larethian Bards, Torm Paladin/Knights, Miliki Rangers, Sune Sorcerers/Shamans, Lathander Clerics, Tempus/Warriors.
I must have missed this. Why can’t Elminster be the blue planeswalker again?

Bolares

Hero
I wouldn’t expect a lot of tribal mechanics in this set. There are just to many different tribes to make tribal work well without creating imbalance. You’d have to have a lot more wizards than other classes to make wizards work well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1625184619447.png
1625184559868.png
1625184573981.png
1625184588885.png
1625184598164.png
1625184637384.png
1625184647395.png
1625184658069.png
1625184679956.png
1625184701059.png
1625184707669.png
1625184729122.png
1625184771965.png
1625184864377.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I still find it weird they made Sorcerers Shamans in AFR. I would not be surprised if some or all Shaman's get retconned to Sorcerers later.

Anyways there are supposed to be 12 classs cards (Druid, Cleric, Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, Monk, Warlock, Bard, Wizard, and Knight/Paladin, Fighter/Warrior, and Sorcerer Shaman). Are these cards going to just be archetypical class creatures, legendary Archtypical class creatures, or somekind of Enchantment that makes a creature a member of a class? Maybe its Legendary Creature with a class tribal mechanic? Like Elminster with Wizards (people crunched the set, he can't be the Blue Planeswalker, that is likely Mordkainen after all, and FRs theft of Mord and Vecna is complete). Or they might be Archtypical Gods of Classes, Silvanus Druids, Asmodeus Warlocks, Mystra Wizards, Corellon Larethian Bards, Torm Paladin/Knights, Miliki Rangers, Sune Sorcerers/Shamans, Lathander Clerics, Tempus/Warriors.
Maybe this is an Enchantment that gives the player Class features, rather than Creatures.

I believe Mordy is the Blue PW, but what's the scoop on the numbers...?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wouldn’t expect a lot of tribal mechanics in this set. There are just to many different tribes to make tribal work well without creating imbalance. You’d have to have a lot more wizards than other classes to make wizards work well.
Lots of fuel for existing tribal decks, though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm going to be so nitpicky here, but I seriously don't know why you'd ever consider Mordenkainen, Vecna, or Acererak as Forgotten Realms characters (they're Greyhawk, or multi-setting). I also don't understand why you'd want FR to absorb other settings material if you truly believe FR is the greatest setting ever... surely if the other settings are worse, taking their stuff makes FR worse ;)?

Full disclosure, I find Greyhawk way better than FR because when I use it I can make something up without players contradicting me with lore they've googled from FR's wiki.
A few things to keep in mind:
• The set was originally designed as a generic D&D themed magic set before the decision was made to put it in an actual D&D setting.
• Forgotten Realms was probably chosen as the setting to put it in because it’s the assumed default setting in 5e.
• This set is probably being targeted primarily at magic players and secondarily at 5e players.
• 5e does not currently have a Grayhawk setting book, and it is not on DMs guild.
• Mordenkainen’s name appears in the title of a 5e book and he has appeared in a published 5e adventure path. Vecna has two artifacts that appear in the DMG, and Acererak has been the primary antagonist of a published 5e adventure path.

Given these facts, it’s likely that the majority of the target audience for this set is not terribly familiar with Grayhawk, but would likely recognize these characters anyway.
I must have missed this. Why can’t Elminster be the blue planeswalker again?
See above: for these reasons, it’s likely the majority of the target audience for this set isn’t terribly familiar with Elminster, but they would probably recognize Mordenkainen. I believe it’s also been confirmed that there is going to be a Mordenkainen card. It’s possible that his card could be a legendary creature and the blue planeswalker could be Elminster. But it seems more likely that Mordenkainen will be the blue planeswalker, which would mean if we get an Elminster card, it will probably be a legendary creature.

Last edited:

Remove ads