D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The cards in most magic sets have various levels of flavor, from belonging to a particular world (named legend) to belonging to several (some creature types, where the card has a non-place name) to generic. The first two groups there seem like they'd have to be avoided. For the generic ones, is there a reason to avoid them if the name is just descriptive (like Plummet, mentioned above) or fits a DnD spell (like Fireball) or is a non-placed named creature (Fencing Ace or Loyal Pegasus).
Exactly. I'd expect shock to make it, Serra Angel, not so much

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I laughed at the marketing, but yes I will be getting the basic lands to use for adventure and campaign creation, as well as to set scenes.
For more than a decade I've been using magic cards as a fate deck, where if the players roll a 1 it's fate and a card is drawn. It can be good or bad, depending on context. If a player is trying to break something and pulls Shatter with his 1, it's successful no matter how many hit points were left. If he's trying to block or parry and pulls the Shatter, his weapon/shield breaks. If the card doesn't apply at all, I can swap it for one of the 4 I pull at the beginning of the session that applies to the situation. Now I finally get the chance to use D&D themed magic cards for my D&D game and I'm stoked.

I'd like to see some non-basic land cards. Candle Keep and Zhentil Keep are two possibilities.

So far we know of two none basic AFR cards Evolving Wilds is a reprint with 2 new D&D themed arts on them, one regular version and 1 Module Alt version.

The other is a man land called Den of the Bug Bear, 4R it turns into a 4/3 Goblin (Goblin) which create a 1/1 Goblin Token that comes in tapped and attacking. It too has a regular version (unseen so far), and a red version. It speculated that its part of a Man Land Module themed mono coloured land cycle of five (Den of the Bugbear being the red one). All nine none basic lands have module alternate art. So that leaves 7 none basic lands unseen. So far I doubt you'll get a Zhentil keep land given 5 of these are likely named after none existant modules and a sixth is Evolving Wilds, that leaves just 3 other special lands.

It does appear that there are no dual lands cycle in this set which suggests that there isn't going to be too many monocoloured cards (not including the Commander Decks).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm pretty sure, given WotC's history of killing infinite loops, that it's broken.
It’s Commander. Commander is absolutely full of infinite combos. This particular one is neat, but far from broken especially considering it’s in the worst color of the format. Also, Nadaar has basically nothing to do with the actual combo, he’s just the payoff for infinite ETB triggers, which you get with other cards, all of which have been around for a while. You could substitute literally any creature that does damage when it enters.

Remove ads