• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

They specified in one of these articles that the Set isn't meant to represent the "current" time-frame particularly, or any one time-frame for the Realms: sort of an all-time all-stars.

Yeah I know, I'm the one who posted the Forbes article, AFR isn't why I think they will restore Icingdeath to life or Undeath, I think they will restore Icingdeath because of James Wyatt's book and the spell named after Icingdeath.

It turns out AFR started out simply as a D&D themed Core Set, but they realized how much more they could do with set with stuff like new Mechanics. From Mark Rosewater's blog.

"Hey Mark,

FWIW. So many new sets and mechanics get introduced these days (I started with invasion block btw); it's hard to keep up! Dungeons look interesting, but I, personally, would honestly have been fine with just a cool dnd themed set without anything new."

"The set started as just a D&D-themed core set, but we soon realized how much more we could do if we added additional things like mechanics."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It turns out AFR started out simply as a D&D themed Core Set, but they realized how much more they could do with set with stuff like new Mechanics. From Mark Rosewater's blog.

"Hey Mark,

FWIW. So many new sets and mechanics get introduced these days (I started with invasion block btw); it's hard to keep up! Dungeons look interesting, but I, personally, would honestly have been fine with just a cool dnd themed set without anything new."

"The set started as just a D&D-themed core set, but we soon realized how much more we could do if we added additional things like mechanics."
That makes sense with what we've seen so far: that suggests that there will be a significant number of reprints still in the Set, since those reprints are needed for maintaining the Standard environment.

That makes sense with what we've seen so far: that suggests that there will be a significant number of reprints still in the Set, since those reprints are needed for maintaining the Standard environment.

Actually I think it suggests the opposite, one of the reasons for the switch from Core Set to (is there a name for none core premium sets?), is because they didn't want to do alot of reprints. There will be some, like plummet, but I suspect it will be 10 cards or less. Maybe Command Tower and Arcane Signet for Brawl's sake, but with FR text and art.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually I think it suggests the opposite, one of the reasons for the switch from Core Set to (is there a name for none core premium sets?), is because they didn't want to do alot of reprints. There will be some, like plummet, but I suspect it will be 10 cards or less. Maybe Command Tower and Arcane Signet for Brawl's sake, but with FR text and art.
I'd set expectations for more reprints than that: do keep in.mind that Core Set reprints tend to be the "generic fantasy" cards that would fit the Realms well anyways. They seem to have moved away from calling it a Core Set because they hit on a design that excited them with Venture, and marketing.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

I'd go way over 10. I assume the commander decks will have all the usual suspects, and would be shocked if they worried at allabout brawl in terms of the boosters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd go way over 10. I assume the commander decks will have all the usual suspects, and would be shocked if they worried at allabout brawl in terms of the boosters.
I had trouble finding exact numbers for what is normal in terms of reprints, but I would 3xpext at least the normal amount.

I had trouble finding exact numbers for what is normal in terms of reprints, but I would 3xpext at least the normal amount.

Mark Rosewater made it clear in his blog that there are far fewer reprints then in a core set.

Anyways this article mentions a World Guide. Could this end up akin to a Planeswalker Guide, but for FR?

Magic: The Gathering’s Adventures in the Forgotten Realms delves into Dungeons

“We did a full concept push for this set, like we do for any Magic set. Obviously there’s already a ton of art exploring what the Forgotten Realms looks like. There’s not necessarily a ton of of art or color art establishing the look of specific geographical regions like the Evermoors, or the Spine of the World, or the High Forest,” Wyatt said. “So all of these lands — almost all of these lands — do actually point to specific places that we developed in the world guide, though I think that forest right there is an example of elven architecture, rather than a specific place, so that was also one of the areas we explored in the world guide.

Last edited:

Remove ads