• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mark Rosewater made it clear in his blog that there are far fewer reprints then in a core set.

Anyways this article mentions a World Guide. Could this end up akin to a Planeswalker Guide, but for FR?

Magic: The Gathering’s Adventures in the Forgotten Realms delves into Dungeons

“We did a full concept push for this set, like we do for any Magic set. Obviously there’s already a ton of art exploring what the Forgotten Realms looks like. There’s not necessarily a ton of of art or color art establishing the look of specific geographical regions like the Evermoors, or the Spine of the World, or the High Forest,” Wyatt said. “So all of these lands — almost all of these lands — do actually point to specific places that we developed in the world guide, though I think that forest right there is an example of elven architecture, rather than a specific place, so that was also one of the areas we explored in the world guide.
What Rosewater was answering on Blogatog was not about Core Sets in general, but comparing AFR to Core 2021 very specifically, which had more reprints than normal. I just went and counted, Core 2021 had 90 reprints out of 274 cards (which includes basic lands), roughly 1/3 of cards in the Set. AFR has 281 cards including basic lands: as such, all we know is that Rosewater has said there will be significantly less than ~90 reprints in AFR, which can still be dozens of reprints, which would be reasonable.

What Rosewater was answering on Blogatog was not about Core Sets in general, but comparing AFR to Core 2021 very specifically, which had more reprints than normal. I just went and counted, Core 2021 had 90 reprints out of 274 cards (which includes basic lands), roughly 1/3 of cards in the Set. AFR has 281 cards including basic lands: as such, all we know is that Rosewater has said there will be significantly less than ~90 reprints in AFR, which can still be dozens of reprints, which would be reasonable.

Honestly I don't see it having dozens of reprints, the would undermine the point of making not a core set, because it eould be harder to support the new mechanics. Like I said, 10-15 at most.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Honestly I don't see it having dozens of reprints, the would undermine the point of making not a core set, because it eould be harder to support the new mechanics. Like I said, 10-15 at most.

I was surprised how few the last several non-core sets have had. My memory must be getting corrupted by all the other product.

Eldraine had 8 reprints.
Ikoria had 32 reprints.
Zendikar Rising had 10 reprints.
Kaldheim had 8 reprints (plus snow lands)
Strixhaven had one reprint... but did have mystic archive for reprints.

I was surprised how few the last several non-core sets have had. My memory must be getting corrupted by all the other product.

Eldraine had 8 reprints.
Ikoria had 32 reprints.
Zendikar Rising had 10 reprints.
Kaldheim had 8 reprints (plus snow lands)
Strixhaven had one reprint... but did have mystic archive for reprints.

Most reprints are done via Commander Decks and Supplemental Products like Time Spiral Remastered and Modern Horizons 2, as well as bonus stuff like the list and Mystic Archieves. I think most people want new exciting setting specific cards in Premium Sets, not tons of reprints so the reprints that go in are only those very important to the setting of the set or important standard/brawl staples, keeping it to a minium.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Most reprints are done via Commander Decks and Supplemental Products like Time Spiral Remastered and Modern Horizons 2, as well as bonus stuff like the list and Mystic Archieves. I think most people want new exciting setting specific cards in Premium Sets, not tons of reprints so the reprints that go in are only those very important to the setting of the set or important standard/brawl staples, keeping it to a minium.
Does WotC actually put anything in standard sets for Brawl anymore (or rather, would they bother if it weren't for commander being a (the?) thing)?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We have no reason to think that is the case: they expanded beyond the Core set model to explore new mechanics, but Standard needs reprints to remain viable. Expect somewhere south of 90, but don't be surprised if it is still a bunch, yes, even dozens.

Remove ads