• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MtG, D&D and Me TITLE NAME EDIT-The thread where Joe apparently offends everyone

Joe, I like what you had to say. I don't see it as a rant about 4e or MtG, or an intergenerational thing.

I read it as being about story v. game rules. Perhaps because I was pondering this myself yesterday.

I think there's always been two fathers of D&D. The Gygax who loved history, loved pulp fantasy, and played sneaking around in the closed down sanitarium in his hometown -- the imaginative story hound Gygax. And the Gygax who loved wargaming rules and board games, and sold insurance for a living -- the number-crunching, competitive Gygax.

In gamer terms, it comes down to the story-focused or role-play focused player, versus the gamist who wants to win. Fluff v. Crunch. I think most of us have a bit of each in us.

But I agree with Joe that Crunch seems to be on the ascendant, and I agree that I don't like it. In the OGL era, there were metric tonnes of adventures and settings in the early days, and towards the end, metric tonnes of splatbooks with extra crunch. In the GSL era, I see mostly rules, less story. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I see and I don't like it. Take that as possibly incorrect personal opinion, not as being mad at kids or even 4e -- it started before 4e.

To me, D&D had two golden ages -- 1979-1984 and 2001-2007. Maybe I'm just old and crotchety, but it's stuff from those two eras that holds my imagination, and those of my friends. Yup, I'm just old -- those were the two eras when significant amounts of Greyhawk Fluff were being published. Thanks for the former, Gary, and for the latter, Eric. :)

But I agree with Joe that Crunch seems to be on the ascendant, and I agree that I don't like it. In the OGL era, there were metric tonnes of adventures and settings in the early days, and towards the end, metric tonnes of splatbooks with extra crunch. In the GSL era, I see mostly rules, less story. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I see and I don't like it. Take that as possibly incorrect personal opinion, not as being mad at kids or even 4e -- it started before 4e.

People vote with their wallets; plain and simple. RPG companys will make what sells, and crunch tends to sell better then fluff. However...

There is fluff out there if you're willing to look for it.

People vote with their wallets; plain and simple. RPG companys will make what sells, and crunch tends to sell better then fluff. However...

Rule companies make rules, because they want to sell more rules. WOTC is a rule company, with a monopoly on official D&D rules. They have every incentive to churn out a lot of rules, assuming they are making a decent profit on them.

But not all RPG companies are WotC.

For a company like Goodman Games, they churn out story, because that's what sells for them (likely lower start up costs and less flop risk than trying to compete in rules). I don't think Goodman would increase their profits by trying to do the GSL PHB 3, Goodman version . . .

I think the start up costs for "story" must have been low and the chance of some success -- perhaps not financial, but personal fulfillment -- fairly decent in the early days of OGL, when 8 bazillion people put out modules. Not sure what's changed -- perhaps the authors just got bored, or the FLGS and game-buyer communities got more picky.

AllisterH

First Post

There is fluff out there if you're willing to look for it.

Um, wasn't one of the reasons why WOTC got back into the adventure-producing was the realization that there WASN'T that many OGL adventures being produced.

I distinctly remember a post from Dancey stating they hoped that the OGL would mean WOTC wouldn't have to do adventures anymore yet by 3.5, they had to start cranking them out again.

pawsplay

Hero
Um, wasn't one of the reasons why WOTC got back into the adventure-producing was the realization that there WASN'T that many OGL adventures being produced.

I distinctly remember a post from Dancey stating they hoped that the OGL would mean WOTC wouldn't have to do adventures anymore yet by 3.5, they had to start cranking them out again.

What he said was that they would rather do fewer, not none. Modules are often mony sinks. But they can be profitable if they are well produced and marketed, and in any case, some modules are needed as a level of customer support. Also, if you don't write any, who's left to set the bar?

Paka

Explorer
I think it’s telling that in the bookstore in which I am typing this rambling pile of words, there are exactly 2 ½ shelves of RPG books and 38 shelves of Manga. I counted. 38. For Japanese comic books. There are only 4 kids in the whole Barnes and Noble superstore on a Saturday afternoon, one of which is 7 and sitting next to me with her mother, whining that she wants more candy. The other 3 kids are teenage girls sitting over near the magazines reading tabloid style magazines.

Who you happened to notice when you were in the store doesn't say much.

What Barnes and Noble is dedicating shelf space towards, that might be something.

Mayhaps gaming needs to take a peak at Manga in terms of content , game play and layout.

I think there is something to that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads