D&D 5E MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it

Riley37

First Post
these creatures have built-in water or nourishment storage analagous to the humps on a camel... ?

"my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps" - Black Eyed Peas

4E had dragonboobs. 5E, generally or at least in PHB, does not.

Announcement here:
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/09/16/why-female-dragonborn-seem-to-have-breasts/

EN World has explored this topic:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?214558-Dragonborn-Boobs-or-No-Boobs

5E dragonborn also differ from 4E dragonborn in relationship between color and breath weapon.

S

Sunseeker

So, I'll ask again, what is the cost to you to have this in the game?

Absoluately nothing. I'd probably have my character have it but treat it like I don't control it and roll randomly every death, because that would be hilarious.

gyor

Legend
I really don't get these arguments. I guess I'm too selfish. I look at it like this: Does this new lore cost me anything? Is it going to make me do any more work or impact my game? No, it isn't. A player who wants to use these rules is free to do so and it's his or her character. They can fill their boots and good on them.

Which brings me to the second question - does it make other people happy? Yup, apparently it does. So, since it costs me nothing and makes other folks happy, what's the problem here? The mechanics are such that any world builder can easily ignore it - it is a rare trait after all. It doesn't cost you a single thing to add this to the game. And it makes other folks happy. What's in it for me to oppose that? What am I gaining? Or, better yet, what are you gaining by opposing this?

[MENTION=58172]Yaarel[/MENTION] talks quite extensively about the change in elven lore. Thing is, it's not really a change. 1e limited elves to 12th level magic users. Until 3e, elves were NEVER the greatest wizards in the game. In 3e, baseline elves didn't gain an Int or Cha bonus at all, so, nope, other than some campaign specific variants, elves were not the greatest wizards in the game. It wasn't until 4e with Eladrin that the lore and the mechanics actually matched - eladrin wizards were among the best in the game. But, we don't HAVE eladrin in 5e. Not in core anyway. Core 5e elves fit best with 1e to 3e elves. So, his entire complaint ignores what's actually written in the game.

So, I'll ask again, what is the cost to you to have this in the game?

We have Eladarin in 5e now, but with the addition seasons, they are both similar and radically different from all previous Eladarin, its like the subrace has its own subraces and they make better Sorcerers, Bards, and Warlocks then they do Wizards or Artificers.

Actually its kind of like they split the 4e Eladarin in 2 for 5e, because in 4e Elf races like Moon and Sun where concidered Eladarin, now both the High Elf amd the MTOFs Eladarin are heirs to be the 4e Eladarin, the High Elfs can even gain a less powerful version of fey step with a feat.

The High Elves inherited the 4e Eladarin's talent for Wizardry and intellect and the 5e Eladarin inherited Feylocks and Bards and Sorcerers and their over powering personalities.

5e Sea Elves I believe are the first playable version of Sea Elf not largely crippled by extended stays on land. Not sure why I added that.

gyor

Legend
Elves changing gender in the WotC lore?

But did anyone care when the dinosaurs were changing gender in Jurassic Park?

Are you suggesting someone spliced Elf DNA and Frog DNA?

OMG a new idea for an Elf subrace Frelfs, Frog Elf hybrids! Just when WotC was out of ideas for new Elf subraces.

S

Sunseeker

Are you suggesting someone spliced Elf DNA and Frog DNA?

OMG a new idea for an Elf subrace Frelfs, Frog Elf hybrids! Just when WotC was out of ideas for new Elf subraces.

Psssh, we haven't even gotten to terrain-based elves(desert, snow, jungle, etc..) and planar elves!

Riley37

First Post
But did anyone care when the dinosaurs were changing gender in Jurassic Park?

I am not aware of any dinosaurs changing gender in Jurassic Park. So far as I know, they all had female anatomical sex; none of them had gender *roles* linked to their anatomical sex, such as a bow in their hair (which is how you can tell Pac-Man from Ms. Pac-Man). Some of them laid eggs, presumably through parthogenesis. None of them became anatomically male, and none of them acquired male-coded social behaviors such as manspreading.

Last edited:

Remove ads