Multiclass and two-character combos

James McMurray

First Post
Keep in mind that this is not fully optimized. Fighter could max his Str, use a longspear, or even use the Spear two-handed.
Also, remember we're talking about 2 lvl 3 characters.

And if he goes two-handed he can power attack.

Make the Warlord an Earthsoul Genasi with the feat from dragon and he'll have two chances to knock the enemy prone with his stomp, so they don't need to flank to get Combat Advantage.

Zsig

Explorer
And if he goes two-handed he can power attack.

Make the Warlord an Earthsoul Genasi with the feat from dragon and he'll have two chances to knock the enemy prone with his stomp, so they don't need to flank to get Combat Advantage.

Yeah, I was thinking also, increasing the party lvl to 5, and adding a cleric to the mix, Weapon of the Gods would do some nasty effect on the fighter.

zillah

First Post
dragonborn Warlord with an 18str/18cha doing a furious smash on someone. Gives the paladin +4 hit and +4 damage next attack.
Longtooth shifter paladin with an 18str/18wis marks the target, pops divine strength for +4 damage on the next attack. At level 1 with a longsword, this is a +11 attack with AC.
If it connects with holy strike, the damage is 4(str)+4(wis)+4(str)+4(furious smash) +1d8 which would be an average of 20 damage.

If you really want to be funny, take a dragonborn warlord again, with a dragonborn paladin. 18 str/16 con.
Furious smash a target, pop divine strength, and dragonbreath the targets. Divine strength says +4 to your next attack. Dragonbreath is an attack. All targets hit by it take 4 str, 3 con, +1d6. The furious smash target takes that and 4 more.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
not huge in power, but a cleric or warlord with starpact and shadowform (u6)
can have a lot of fun flying around insubstantially and using minor actions for heals, maintaining spirit weapons and walls.

the_bruiser

First Post
... once per encounter.

-Hyp.

Did this issue get settled for sure, whether in this thread or elsewhere? One of my PCs is a Rogue that took Ranger multiclass on my reading that, while he can only choose a quarry 1/combat, once the quarry has been established he qualifies for the extra damage 1/round. The obvious downside is that you have to wait until you are fighting against a worthy bad guy, probably in melee, before you declare that you've chosen your quarry for the encounter.

Of course, you might be referring to the fact that he says "Ranger/Rogue," potentially implying that rogue is the multi, in which case my reading would also allow sneak damage only 1/encounter.

So let me be clear: my question is about Hunter's Quarry used as 1/encounter as a multiclass ability - once chosen, you get full bonus damage on up to one hit per round on the chosen quarry for the rest of the encounter, correct?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
So let me be clear: my question is about Hunter's Quarry used as 1/encounter as a multiclass ability - once chosen, you get full bonus damage on up to one hit per round on the chosen quarry for the rest of the encounter, correct?
No. The errata changes it to only last until the end of your next turn.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Of course, you might be referring to the fact that he says "Ranger/Rogue," potentially implying that rogue is the multi, in which case my reading would also allow sneak damage only 1/encounter.

Right, I was assuming a Ranger with Sneak of Shadows.

Other people have covered the Ranger multiclass feat erratum already.

-Hyp.

Obryn

Hero
My understanding is that you get to set a quarry once per encounter.

According to the Hunter's Quarry ability, it only goes away when you select a new Quarry.

So, you deal bonus damage until the end of the encounter.

-O

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
According to the Hunter's Quarry ability, it only goes away when you select a new Quarry.

So, you deal bonus damage until the end of the encounter.

Right...

... unless the feat has language along the lines of "The target you designate as your quarry remains your quarry until the end of your next turn."

Which, post-errata, it does.

-Hyp.

Remove ads