• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassing - please explain

Zuilin

First Post
Can someone please explain Multiclassing to me a little better than the PHB, please?

I don't quite get it, but I'm not sure what part I don't understand. A nice, clear, concise overview would sure help.

Please and thanks.

Kordeth

First Post
In order to multiclass, you need to take one of the multiclass "Class Specific Feats." This gives you a trained skill from another class and a lesser version of one of that class's features. You can only ever have one Class-Specific feat at a time.

If you want, you can also take the Power Swap feats, which allow you to swap out one of your powers for a power from the class you've multiclassed into. You can only take these feats as you get higher in level.

Finally, if you have all three Power Swap feats, when you reach 11th level you can choose to gain even more powers from your multiclass instead of taking a paragon path.

Surgoshan

First Post
At any level, you can take the multiclassing feat for one other class. You can only ever multiclass to one other class. That feat makes you count as that class, as well as your own, for all feats and paragon paths. That feat also gives you limited access to some of that class' abilities on a limited basis.

Starting at 4th level, you can take the Novice Power feat, which allows you to switch out an encounter power. You give up one of the encounter powers you gained with your class, and gain an encounter power from your multiclass.

Starting at 8th level, you can take the Acolyte Power feat, which allows you to swap out a utility power as with the Novice Power feat.

Starting at 10th level, you can take the Adept Power feat, which allows you to swap out a daily power as with the Novice and Acolyte Power feats.

If, and only if, you have taken all four multiclass feats, you can then choose to take your multiclass as your paragon path. When a paragon path would normally give you a power or ability, you instead gain powers or abilities from your multiclass, meaning that you gain another encounter, daily, and utility spell from your multiclass. The encounter power must be of 7th level or lower, the utility of 10th level or lower, and the daily of 19th level or lower.

You always retain the HP level rate of your initial class, and the armor/weapon proficiencies of that class (as well as any feats you may have spent to gain new proficiencies).

Zuilin

First Post
OK. Makes sense.

Seems quite a bit less powerful than 3.x if you don't take the swaps. It seems that if you're willing to commit and skip your paragon path, it could work out all right.

It does seem a much higher commitment now, though.

I wonder how often it will get used....

It seems to me that 3rd Edition multiclassing was always either too powerful (four classes and a PrC to boost some ability into the Upper Planes) or too weak (losing too many spellcaster levels to be of any use and ending up a squishy front-lineser).

4th Edition multiclassing may be novel and it may be a little less intuitive than 3rd Edition, but it seems to work. And, it seems to be just what I wanted multiclassing to be. For example, I've got a necromancer I wanted to convert. I started with a carefully designed Control Wizard and then power-swapped with Warlock until he looked just like I wanted him.

Zuilin

First Post
Interesting.

I actually don't think it's bad...just different.

I do have to admit from a DM'ing standpoint, I always hated the 4 class NPC's that popped up all over the place. Seemed WAY too jack-of-all-trades...the NPC miller who was really a fighter/cleric/rogue/paladin....stupid.

I'm looking forward to trying a multi actually.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I ADORE the new multiclassing rules simply for it being easier to make character concepts.

With being able to pick and choose which powers you take from the other class you don't get into the situation like before where you want some specific things from that class but get swamped by things you don't want, and gods help you if the things you want are a couple levels up.

N0Man

First Post
Surgoshan said:
The encounter power must be of 7th level or lower, the utility of 10th level or lower, and the daily of 19th level or lower.

This is the part I'm not totally clear on... Does this mean that if you select to multiclass instead of doing the Paragon path, that you are forever stuck with the 7th, 10th, and 19th level spells only? Can you not trade up later?

Honestly, doing paragon multiclassing and only ever getting a 7th level Encounter power seems pretty weak.

Surgoshan

First Post
At the time you gain those powers, the highest level that power is available from is, respectively, 7th, 10th, and 19th level. You can retrain them later.

Kurzak T

First Post
So is there no mechanism for swapping out one of your at-will's for one of your 2nd class's at-will's?

I've reread this section a half dozen times and I can't figure out if I can do that and if so, what the requirements are.

Any help is appreciated.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads