D&D 5E Multiple Standard Arrays

I normally don't do random stats at all unless it's a shorter adventure or one-shot. If I do do random ability scores in a more long-term campaign, I'll make sure that each character ends up with equivalent stats, since the only reason I'd do random in the first place is to throw in a little spice and cut down on cookie-cutter-character syndrome.

I'm working on an idea where a player has a choice between choosing from a set of random but equal arrays, or using point buy. I use my handy-dandy system of generating arrays that are random but equal, or allow the players to do so. Then they look over the arrays, and each player either picks one (more than one player can use the same array) or skips it and goes with point buy.

Here's how it works.
1) Decide on the number of points available for point buy (it doesn't have to stay with the default 27).
2) Decide if you are going to allow stats to be raised/lowered beyond the default range, and what the costs are. Personally, I would probably alow a 16 at the cost of 3 additional points, and below 8, but you only get back 1 point for each point below 8.
3) Determine the absolute value of the stats created by the most even distribution of the point buy. For instance, the 27 point buy method gives you three 12s and three 13s. 12+12+12+13+13+13 = 75 absolute stat value.
4) Use whatever handy-dandy method you prefer to generate the arrays, making sure that the absolute stat value of each array is a predetermined value which is slightly less than the absolute stat value from step 3.
5) Reroll arrays that don't include at least one stat above or below the values attainable in your chosen point buy system.

Here are the results of the player's choices.
Point Buy: If you divide points fairly evenly (great for a multiple attribute dependent character) you can end up with the highest absolute stat value. Alternatively, you can customize your stats precisely, but you soon drop your absolute stat value below the other options. In exchange for that flexibility your stats have upper and lower limits, and higher stats cost more of your points.
Random Array: You can end up with values--both low and high--you could not attain with point buy. Higher values come at bargain prices. For instance, an 18 is no more expensive than two 13s. You have the opportunity to consider interesting options you may not have. You can either go with extreme stats, or take stats that are similar to what you would have bought, but with a bit of variance you couldn't precisely buy--adding some randomness. In exchange for those opportunities your absolute stat value cannot reach as high as it could with point buy, but your point buy value is often higher.

The benefit over just making the player choose whether to roll or go with point buy before rolling, is that the player is guaranteed to neither suffer from rolling nor win a jackpot from it. Rather, they are given options they wouldn't otherwise have that are random but equally balanced with every other character in the party.

Minsc

Explorer
Really interesting idea.

You could modify the point buy in another way: just allow more or less than the 27 points, depending on the level of game you're shooting for.

Also, a DM could house rule higher stats for players who wanted to play MAD characters.

When I played 1e (with unearthed arcana), if a player really wanted to be a Cavalier Paladin, the DM would let you roll and then just bump the stats up to the minimum when you didn't reach them (and it was tough: these guys had a minimum 15 STR/DEX/CON, a 13 WIS, and a 17 CHA).

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I haven't done this but grab a deck of cards, take out three 6's, three 2's, four each of 3' - 4's - 5's for a total of 18 cards deal them into 6 different stacks of 3 cards each for values ranging from 6 - 18, and everyone is built on the same number of overall ability points. Random and fairly balanced.

I like this idea.

One small change: I would take out 2 of the 4s and replace them with a 2 and a 6. This should increase the chances of higher and lower stats. Having nothing but 11-13 for stats is a bit lackluster.

*edit* Could just leave in all 20 cards too for a bit of winning or losing. People like to feel like they can get lucky in character creation

It would be fun to work in Tarot cards too.

Use minor cards for stats. Maybe major cards for backgrounds and class?

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Back in 3e days, our group devised an alternative stat generation system based on the observation that, in 3e, the actual stat value isn't as significant as the modifier value. So what we really needed to do is find out what the total value of a character's stat bonuses should be and set the value to that.

So in our latest campaign, we started with a 'total plus' of +13, with no plus starting above +4 (not including racial mods) and no penalty greater than -1. Also, since odd-numbered stats are valuable when getting a stat-bump every four levels (if five of your stats are odd, you effectively get a bump in bonus every four levels to some stat), we decided that only two of the actual attribute values could be odd.

So, these would be valid starting stat arrays for a 3e character using this system:

Str 12 (+1); Dex 10 (+0); Con 16 (+3); Int 19 (+4); Wis 19 (+4); Cha 12 (+1)

Str 19 (+4); Dex 16 (+3); Con 19 (+4); Int 12 (+1); Wis 14 (+2); Cha 8 (-1)

You could tweak this system for 5e (lower total plus, probably about +8, and no starting bonus above +3), and it should work fine; you might want to keep the 'no more than two odd stats' rule, given the number of feats that grant +1 to a stat.

--
Pauper

Remove ads