D&D 5E Multiverse Theory and you

To answer the OP's question, yes!
However, the PCs have only done it once but the PCs know it is possible and more likely to happen again as they increase in levels as the tone and storyline of the campaign will likely shift.

BACKSTORY: The Old Ones of the Mystaran universe had a disagreement amongst themselves (plot storyline) resulting of which several Multiverses were created by them, some similar (hence Tiamat and Takhises...etc) and others vastly different (i.e. Darksun...etc). Realmspace has/had its Luminous Being, essentially an Old One.
The Bleed is the transient plane that leads from one Multiverse to the next and it's not an open secret, even in Sigil it is but myth and legend that such a place exists.

The entire setup is called the Omniverse. Each Multiverse has its own laws and systems that guide it.
For instance in Mystara the Wild Magic sorcerer has a 5% (1 in d20) chance per sorcery point expended of incurring a wild magic surge, however in Realmspace this 5% increases to 10% per sorcery point to highlight the increased magical energies latent in that Multiverse.

Like I said, the characters have been fortunate/unfortunate enough to only experience the jump from one Multiverse to another once, when they were 7th level - they are now 13th.

Last edited:

If the current multiverse approach looks anything like 5e Eberron, then indeed the multiverse is Forgotten Realms gods gods everywhere in every setting.

I hope the designers reconsider their current approach going forward.
Not going to pretend I know how the "First World" thing from Fizban is going to be developed, but as a long-time Planescape fan, there have always been deities that are worshiped across multiple worlds.

That is not the same as having a single shared pantheon that is worshiped in every setting.

Yaarel

He Mage
Not going to pretend I know how the "First World" thing from Fizban is going to be developed, but as a long-time Planescape fan, there have always been deities that are worshiped across multiple worlds.

That is not the same as having a single shared pantheon that is worshiped in every setting.
I want a setting where gods never happened.

Somewhere in this multiverse, I need this nontheistic setting to exist.

I want an alternative to the FR/Planescape polytheism.

I need my setting to be something different from the FR/Planescape setting.

I need a bigger multiverse that has room for the settings that I want.

There are no gods on Athas, as I recall, though admittedly, I'm not familiar enough with Dark Sun to know whether they existed at one point and died or abandoned it, or whether they never existed there at all. Regardless, I think a nontheistic setting is perfectly doable under a Planescape model.

Whether they'd actually do it is another matter - religion and the role of the gods is a pretty useful worldbuilding tool.

Yaarel

He Mage
There are no gods on Athas, as I recall, though admittedly, I'm not familiar enough with Dark Sun to know whether they existed at one point and died or abandoned it, or whether they never existed there at all. Regardless, I think a nontheistic setting is perfectly doable under a Planescape model.

Whether they'd actually do it is another matter - religion and the role of the gods is a pretty useful worldbuilding tool.
But the language that I have read, at least in some versions is, Athas is "cut off" from FR/Planescape.

I would rather the multiverse approach be: FR/Planescape lacks existence in Athas.

So, when the multiverse allows heroes to jump from one universe to an other universe, each universe plays by its own rules, and has zero to do with any other universe.

Athas is "cut off" from Planescape in a similar fashion to how Eberron essentially is, and for much the same reason - they had a setting that wasn't built with Planescape in mind, but wanted to give a potential avenue for people who wanted to link the two to do so.

Part of Planescape's identity is that it incorporates other settings within itself and enables travel between them.

I understand not wanting to be forced to connect a setting to Planescape's cosmology if you don't want to - I myself prefer to keep Eberron and its cosmology distinctly separate from the Great Wheel, and I'm unlikely to add in the MtG settings - but its already optional for you. You don't have to use Planescape if you don't want to.

The only thing forcibly walling off every setting into its own bubble so that no setting has anything to do with any other setting does is undercut settings like Planescape where part of the point is connecting other settings together.

Stormonu

Legend
If it wasn't for interference from a party from Greyhawk, my homebrew of Amberos would not exist. My avatar's namesake - Stormonu, was originally another player's character from Greyhawk and a planar hop to the mega-dungeon mountain of Amberos led to the rise of the entire continent from the sea.

As recently as 3E, I've used world-hopping with a party that started in FR, hopped to Greyhawk and off to Ravenloft, with a detour through my Amberos campaign back on their way home.

Prior to that, I had a group who hopped to an alternate-reality version of my Amberos campaign where the dragons won the Dragon War and the world was very gamma-worldy, as high technology had been deployed by the human side in the last desperate days. I've also used Spelljammer to have players skip from DL to Realmspace and to the Astromundi Cluster (to use the Rock of Braal) for a campaign.

There are some worlds I do treat as isolated though; Dark Sun for one, and I haven't used plane-jumping in Eberron yet

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

I need my setting to be something different from the FR/Planescape setting.

I need a bigger multiverse that has room for the settings that I want.
Can I raise a practical question at this point: without deities, where do your divine casters (Clerics, etc.) get their spells and powers from?

Remove ads