• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Murder is the Pits

Bront

The man with the probe
"Michael, Ros, let's make sure these two don't bleed out." Vanitri says, as he cleans and sheaths his blade.

Vanitri turns to Petra "Pride can get the best of any fighter, as the rush and thrill of the pit can be a strong calling. Assuming we can prevent them from dying, what do you want us to do with them?"

ajanders

Explorer
Phew...

Michael checks his swing as Clack topples backwards, looking around warily to see if anyone else needs to be hit.
Seeing no-one, he takes a deep breath, lets it out, and drops his hammer and shield.
"Phew!"
He takes a moment to check Click and Clack, using his medical kit to stablilize them and if necessary, converting 0 level spells into a point of healing energy to get them stable.
After that, he searches and strips them of weapons and ties their hands and feet.
Once Click and Clack are secured, he checks over Petra's and the party's wounds, devoutly hoping that nobody's been poisoned.
That should take care of a few rounds...

Patlin

Explorer
Ironwolf waits and listens, and tries to refocus his mind.

ooc: Regaining psionic focus... I'll makes ome rolls if time becomes critical, otherwise I figure he'll succeed eventually.

ajanders

Explorer
Dun-da-duun, dun-de-dun-da-duun

(OOC: That was meant to be the wrapup motif from Dragnet.)
Michael examines the prone, unconscious, non-bleeding-to-death, tied-up, disarmed gladiators and makes double sure they have all the aforementioned qualities.
Then he looks at Petra.
"I think we need to call the watch. And I need someone to come with me as a witness, because we need to search their trunks for bloodfree or the like."
He pauses for a moment.
"Petra, I think you said one of your stars got stabbed an awful lot. You think that might be two people with two swords each?"

Petra seems flustered and angry, though as she speaks it seems much of the anger is for herself. "Right under my nose! I just assumed that the murders were aimed at my master and not personal, more fool I...." She kneels down and starts applying first aid to Clack. "I knew they were bitter at not being stars, but I thought they would get over it. I should have remembered." Her face softens and there is even a trace a pity in her voice for the man who was a minute ago trying to murder her.

Michael feels like he should say something useful, but takes a moment to pray for Sela's guidance (casting guidance spell...it's the last one of the day.)
Then he tries to remember if Petra ever told him her last name...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
ajanders said:
(OOC: That was meant to be the wrapup motif from Dragnet.)
Michael examines the prone, unconscious, non-bleeding-to-death, tied-up, disarmed gladiators and makes double sure they have all the aforementioned qualities.
Then he looks at Petra.
"I think we need to call the watch. And I need someone to come with me as a witness, because we need to search their trunks for bloodfree or the like."
He pauses for a moment.
"Petra, I think you said one of your stars got stabbed an awful lot. You think that might be two people with two swords each?"
"Well, in cases where one slave kills another, punishment is usually handled as a civil matter between the two owners. Since thats the same person here, my master will just have to get the magistrate's approval if he decides on a particularly harsh penalty...." She nods at the cleric's question. "You never saw them face a single opponent together, but if they got someone between them... It was them, all of it. So much waste.... But yes, I will come with you to look in their things."

A search of the twin's belongings not only comes up with two packets of bloodfire, but some wigs, makeup and a few rubbery black strips with silver runes which, when fitted snugly over a slave collar, pass for, well, a slave collar, but with completely different information on it.

Tiny and the mountain are the only ones in the barracks as you search and at their exclaimations over petra's somewhat disheveled apearance and the signs of new combat, she firmly tells them that she will have news for the entire stable this evening but for now not to spread any rumors.

"I can tell you that our new foursome will be moving on now, to bigger and better things. SO you'll be getting a lot more ring time in the next few weeks, so rest up."

The half orc is visably sadened by the news, and waves at Rosalynn before retiring to his bunk to pout and mutter "Pretty music". Mountain also looks disapointed but gives you each a hearty handclasp and congratulations. "Oh, and there's quite a bit of stuff dropped off for you. Its too bad you're going, some of you are building up a fan base."

The loot:
For Micheal, two bottles of wine, a child's drawing of Large Micheal stepping on a scary bug, and a large steel sheild with a silver holy symbol of Sela attached to the front (it could be removed and strung as a large penant instead.) Attached to the latter is a note saying "You witness to our Lady's strength and wisdom."

For rosalynn, a lot of flowers, two finely carved vials of perfume, a set of silver earrings with small saphires set in them (approx value 35 gp) and some very bad poetry.

For Vanitri, two bottles of wine, a nicely etched buckler (not masterwork, but pretty) and a gilded dagger (also normal construction but materials worth approx an extra 20 gold) and two 'favors'.

For Ironwolf, half a dozen 'favors', some with keys or extremely unsubtle notes, a bottle of wine and a vial of antitoxin.

Bront

The man with the probe
"Mountain, Tiny, tis been a pleasure to have faught by your side. I'm sure you'll do well and make great names for yourselves." Vanitri says as he shakes both the men's hands*. "Now keep those spirits up," he says with a sly grin.

Vanitri pears over Ironwolf's shoulder as he's glancing at one of the notes. "Wow, is that legal in Earling?"

"So, Petra, is there anything else you'll be needing of us?" Vanitri asks.

[sblock=*]Vanitri slips one of the 'favors' into each of the men's hands.[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
Ironwolf looks over the notes and favors. He finds them somewhat... disturbing.

"Show business must not be my thing." He concludes, mumbling under his breath.

Turning to Mountain and Tiny, he says "You have both been good companions. I hope if you ever need a friend to lend a helping hand, you will think of me." He also shakes their hands, but from Ironwold (unlike the subtle Vanitri) a handshake is just a handshake.

"I haven't been able to take advantage of the gambling as friend Vanitri has, since I'm almost broke, but I do have some cash held in reserve. I beieve this completes our agreement?"

He removes a small coin from his purse, offering it to Petra.

Patlin

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
She chews one of her braids absently as she reevaluates what the group needs to be informed of. "Slaves in Earling come from either voluntary indenturing, punishment for a crime, prisoners of war or rarely imported slaves. We have a set of rights, including the right to buy our freedom, and protection from abuses. Its been that way for almost a century, since the elf lord took over from the old ruling family. I should tell you now, by tradition, only slaves fight in the Arena. I've set up a contract for those who wish to take the job to indenture themselves for the price of 1000 gold each. If you find and stop the people responsible for the killings, you will be able to buy your freedom for one copper piece. Or you may repurchase yourselves at any time for the 1000 gold."

ooc: Just posting this for reference, since it was in the previous and now closed RDI thread and a bit hard to find.

ajanders

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
"Well, in cases where one slave kills another, punishment is usually handled as a civil matter between the two owners. Since thats the same person here, my master will just have to get the magistrate's approval if he decides on a particularly harsh penalty...." She nods at the cleric's question. "You never saw them face a single opponent together, but if they got someone between them... It was them, all of it. So much waste.... But yes, I will come with you to look in their things."

Michael looks grim. "Somehow I was afraid of that."
He takes a deep breath. "Petra, this is not your fault. They made their choices, and now they will bear the consequences. You had nothing to do with it."
(Diplomacy check to assuage any possible feelings of guilt: base +6, +1 for guidance)

Kahuna Burger said:
A search of the twin's belongings not only comes up with two packets of bloodfire, but some wigs, makeup and a few rubbery black strips with silver runes which, when fitted snugly over a slave collar, pass for, well, a slave collar, but with completely different information on it.
Michael pulls on a pair of leather gloves before he handles any of the items, wary of poison.
He sets them back carefully in the trunk, locks it, and suggests Petra keep it in her office in case any sort of evidence is needed for the magistrate. He makes the suggestion as discreetly as possible, but lawful clerics are not notably good at subterfuge.

Kahuna Burger said:
The loot:
For Micheal, two bottles of wine, a child's drawing of Large Micheal stepping on a scary bug, and a large steel sheild with a silver holy symbol of Sela attached to the front (it could be removed and strung as a large penant instead.) Attached to the latter is a note saying "You witness to our Lady's strength and wisdom."

For rosalynn, a lot of flowers, two finely carved vials of perfume, a set of silver earrings with small saphires set in them (approx value 35 gp) and some very bad poetry.

For Vanitri, two bottles of wine, a nicely etched buckler (not masterwork, but pretty) and a gilded dagger (also normal construction but materials worth approx an extra 20 gold) and two 'favors'.

For Ironwolf, half a dozen 'favors', some with keys or extremely unsubtle notes, a bottle of wine and a vial of antitoxin.

Michael swears like a mule-skinner and tells Petra to get a box with a lock.
"Five bottles of wine, no notes, anonymous vintage? An antitoxin vial? Bloody well right."
All six bottles go into the box. "If they're not poisoned, I owe you a steak."
He looks at the two bottles of perfume for a moment. "Best not to take chances. I'll owe you a steak too, Rosalynn." He locks the box.
"We'll know about these tomorrow. The morning is wiser than the evening, with Sela's aid."
Reflexively Michael slips the key into his pocket, but he could be talked out of that.
"Someone needs to keep an eye on them. Two someones for choice. I can be one."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads