Music-Inspired Insanity OOC [3.5, CLOSED]

Theroc

First Post
I'm somewhat familiar with the infamous Half-Minotaur/Half-Ogre/Half-Giant templates... And they're right out (along with almost all Dragon Magazine content). Sorry 'bout that, but they're way overpowered and cheesy, in my opinion.

And I do like off the wall ideas (I actually was working on a build for The Joker, partly using Binder for the Hideous Laughter near at-will, to kill people with a smile on their face. :devil:). So, feel free to keep searching and tossing crazy ideas out. At least one of them will be okay with me, I'm sure.

EDIT: Draconic Template is fine, though. I'll try to send those melds to you tomorrow.

Hehe, I figured they would be, though I thought the Half-Minotaur was cool. I like the 1d6 gore attack, and the keyed abilities. The rest I could go without, particularly since I don't think size category of the Totemist matters when melding. Does a meldshapers size matter in regards to the damage of his melds?

Another rather crazy template.

Lolth Touched said:
Lolth-Touched
(blessed by the Spider Goddess to be fearless, tougher, but look the same)
(MM4 p92)
Acquired Template that can be added to any non-Good, non- Lawful, Corporeal Living creature.

Str +6
Con +6
Lvl +1
CR +1
Alignment becomes Chaotic Evil.
+4 Racial bonus on Hide & Move Silently checks.
Fearless – immune to Fear effects.

Obviously I can't be Chaotic Evil, and it'd be really weird for Lolth to bless a non-evil, non-drow in this manner, but I think it would have been ideal otherwise... lol.

I'm thinking I'll likely be doing a Draconic Duskling, but I'm not positive yet. Reason I'm still looking is having a natural weapon that the melds CAN'T replicate could be a real boon with multi-attack, particularly with the Sphinx Claws bound to the hands. (Full attack on a charge with all natural weapons). I'd also be able to use INA on the natural weapon and be assured of at least one mode of attack.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Here's a less ridiculous template that might be interesting and possibly acceptable.

Mineral Warrior said:
Mineral Warrior
(creature that has been partially turned to stone)
(Und p96)
Acquired Template that may be applied to any Corporeal creature other than a Construct, Elemental, or Undead.

+3 Natural Armor
Str +2
Con +4
Int –2 (min 1)
Wis –2
Cha –2
Lvl +1

Gains (earth) subtype.
Gain Burrow speed equal to ½ Land speed.
Looses any Fly speed.
Darkvision 60’
Damage Reduction 8 / adamantine. This is in addition to any
other damage reduction.
Earth Strike, 1/day – against a foe standing on stone or earth,
+(Constitution modifier) to attack, +(Racial HD) to damage

It's available in the Underdark excerpt, here:
Underdark excerpt

Edit:
And here's a template that most certainly doesn't SEEM overpowered, at least not compared to stuff like Half-minotaur and such.

Poisonous said:
Poisonous
(creature tainted by magical pollution that results in it gaining poisonous fangs)
(DR350 p35)
Creature gains large fangs that drip poison.
Acquired Template that can be added to any Corporeal Living creature.

Con +2
Lvl +3
CR +1
Creature gains a Bite attack (1d6 damage if Medium) if it does not
already have one.
The creature’s fangs interfere with verbal magic use, causing a
20% chance of Spell Failure when casting spells with Verbal
components or when using magic items with a command word,
unless the creature also has Feat: Evolved(DR350 p37).
The creature’s Bite attack is poisonous (DC is Constitutionbased).
Choose one of the following when the Template is
acquired.
Poison Type Initial Damage Secondary Damage
Mind-Numbing 1d4 Intelligence 1d4 Intelligence
Necrotic 1d4 Constitution 1d2 Constitution
Pain-Inducing 1d2 Dexterity 1d6 Dexterity
Pustulant 1d2 Charisma 1d6 Charisma
Sapping 1d4 Wisdom 1d4 Wisdom
Weakening 1d2 Strength 1d6 Strength

I'd actually say that this seems underpowered for +3 LA. Anyways, as I said, I was just perusing looking for things that add good Natural attacks. This one boosts con and gives a bite attack(with a decent poison). Dunno if I could talk the LA down by weakening it though.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Lolth-touched isn't possible. Like you said, it switches you to CE. And there would need to be some HUGE justification for the Drow demon-goddess to bless you.

Like the Half-Minotaur, I'm also familiar with the Mineral Warrior. And that's more acceptable, but the DR 8/adamantine is a bit high. If you really want to play a Mineral Warrior, I'd say we knock it down to 5.

Poisonous is more acceptable to me. But the LA stays the same, unless you weaken it.

Of the templates you've fielded, Draconic is okay'ed. I'll write up the Draconic Soulmelds for you and PM them to you today.

Though, really, a Totemist doesn't need racial natural weapons. I forgot to mention that the soulmelds only unshape when he wants them to. The melds can be suppressed by an antimagic field, but only temporarily. Dispel Magic can also suppress them also, but it's still only temporary.

And actually, yes, size influences how much damage you deal. All the damage values in the book are figured on you being Medium. If you're Small, reduce them by 1 die size, Large increases them 1 die size, like other weapons.

Theroc

First Post
Lolth-touched isn't possible. Like you said, it switches you to CE. And there would need to be some HUGE justification for the Drow demon-goddess to bless you.

Like the Half-Minotaur, I'm also familiar with the Mineral Warrior. And that's more acceptable, but the DR 8/adamantine is a bit high. If you really want to play a Mineral Warrior, I'd say we knock it down to 5.

Poisonous is more acceptable to me. But the LA stays the same, unless you weaken it.

Of the templates you've fielded, Draconic is okay'ed. I'll write up the Draconic Soulmelds for you and PM them to you today.

Though, really, a Totemist doesn't need racial natural weapons. I forgot to mention that the soulmelds only unshape when he wants them to. The melds can be suppressed by an antimagic field, but only temporarily. Dispel Magic can also suppress them also, but it's still only temporary.

And actually, yes, size influences how much damage you deal. All the damage values in the book are figured on you being Medium. If you're Small, reduce them by 1 die size, Large increases them 1 die size, like other weapons.

As I said, the reason I wanted the natural weapon was so that I could make other melds and increase the number of natural attacks I have in a round. But, I'm thinking Draconic might be ideal, simply because they allow access to those Draconic melds, which seem pretty good.
Thinking a Draconic Duskling atm, if that is possible. Mineral warrior is cool, but I can't access the melds that way.

Getting large size would have been awesome then... but I can't afford the LA required to do that... ;)

Edit:
What are the different draconic feats that might be helpful to a totemist, Dragonwriter, if it isn't too much trouble.(Increasing my ability to put out damage or withstand it are mainly what I'm looking at. Improving natural weapons or natural armor and the like)

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Question:
Do totemists even benefit from BAB's iterative attacks?

I was looking at a totemist handbook that mentioned a particular meld's bite being good for iterative attacks, but I thought natural weapons did not receive iterative attacks...

Dragonwriter

First Post
A Draconic Duskling would be fine with me. Most of the Draconic feats are really only helpful to Sorcerers, since they require some kind of spell to be used. Improved Natural Attack and Armor are both feats you could take, though. And Multiattack is very useful for when you start racking up the number of natural weapon.

And to your BAB question, no they don't have any use for iterative attacks, really. All natural weapons work of highest bonus, with a penalty if it's a secondary weapon. That's really all there is to it. Higher BAB just means better chance of hitting for them.

Theroc

First Post
A Draconic Duskling would be fine with me. Most of the Draconic feats are really only helpful to Sorcerers, since they require some kind of spell to be used. Improved Natural Attack and Armor are both feats you could take, though. And Multiattack is very useful for when you start racking up the number of natural weapon.

And to your BAB question, no they don't have any use for iterative attacks, really. All natural weapons work of highest bonus, with a penalty if it's a secondary weapon. That's really all there is to it. Higher BAB just means better chance of hitting for them.

Alright, was just wondering, because the one guide actually mentioned iterative attacks.

Totemist Handbook thread said:
The bite from the Totem bind is that of a creature one size larger than you given most Medium bites are d6's. The extra acid damage is good for iterative attacks.

This came from Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible here.

Just needed to clarify that. Also, do any of the melds/natural weapons NOT work in a 'full attack', besides the poison stinger(from the Wormtail meld)? I wanna know so I don't pick the wrong melds and try stuff that won't work.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Also, do any of the melds/natural weapons NOT work in a 'full attack', besides the poison stinger(from the Wormtail meld)? I wanna know so I don't pick the wrong melds and try stuff that won't work.

The way I see it, the Wormtail Belt's stinger, the Dragon Tail's tail and the Displacer Mantle's tentacles won't work with other natural weapons in a full attack. There might be a couple more... If I see any, I'll let you know, but those are the ones I could think of without opening the book (which I don't want to do at the moment...).

Theroc

First Post
Okay. This Draconic Duskling's got a pretty decent ability to absorb blows, methinks, lol.

I haven't done gear/skills, but much of the rest is tentatively worked out.

Edit: Another question.

As a Draconic Duskling, will I have 1 or 2 feats? In other words, the LA counting as an extra class level, will I gain feats at the same rate everyone else does, and just be a level behind on class benefits?

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
you'd only have 1. When looking for lvl based efects, go by HD as total LA is only counted for starting cash and challenge rating.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases