Music-Inspired Insanity OOC [3.5, CLOSED]

Dragonwriter

First Post
EDIT: Recruiting closed.

After trying my hand at Play by Post and liking it, I’ve decided to DM a game. The system will be 3.5 with between 4 and 6 players, but the game itself will be somewhat unorthodox, due to my inspiration… More on that later…

I’ve created a simple world for this game to take place in (don’t worry about the details) that will justify using most any race/class combo.

[sblock=Character Generation:]
36 point-buy for stats. Start at 3rd level (3,000 XP), with 2,700 GP (cannot spend more than 1,500 GP on a single item). If you select a race with LA, it will count as extra character levels (ex: an Aasimar character will be 2nd-level, but with 3,000 XP and will gain their next class level at 6,000 XP, but will always be 1 class level behind everyone else). If you want to do item crafting before joining play, subtract it from your starting 3,000 XP. Max HP for each level. Alignment is any non-evil.

Multi-classing and prestige classes must be justified in your background, or in the course of play (i.e. no taking a level of wizard next level without even looking at a spellbook). Please inform me if you plan on taking a prestige class so I can look it over and provide opportunities for you to interact with other members of that class.[/sblock]

As to actions, rolls and combats, I will allow you to make your own rolls on Invisible Castle (and I will post rolls for most enemy actions, except for certain skill checks and BBEG combat stuff). For combats, I will be attempting to simply use text-maps.
Also, I would like to keep the game moving at a relatively quick pace. At absolute slowest, I expect to be able to make two good-sized updates per week, and would ask for players that could keep to a similar pace.

Now, as to my inspiration… I was enjoying my music when I caught myself thinking about tweaking it into a D&D adventure. Strange, I know… But that’s me… There are so many songs that can give interesting NPCs and PC ideas, plus locations, monsters, battles… It’s everything you could ask for! ;)
So, this basically boils down to me drawing inspiration from a bunch of different artists (sometimes a major character, an adventure, or even just a small nod) to make a fun, interesting campaign. So, if anyone is interested in joining in my musically-inspired insanity, please do! :D
(I will be naming the songs I was inspired by as the sections come up in play.)

Now, here’s my House Rules:

[sblock=House Rules (organized by Book) and Rulings]
[sblock=Player’s Handbook]
Fighters get a Bonus Feat every level.

Druids do not receive the ability to spontaneously cast Summon Nature’s Ally.

Sorcerers get Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at 1st level.[/sblock]

[sblock=Tome of Magic]
Shadowcasters use the class fixes proposed by the class designer, located here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/184955-shadowcaster-fixes-mouseferatu.html

The Shadow Time mystery lasts 3 rounds, according to the Errata for Tome of Magic.

Truenames are going to use a small tweak. When trying to name a creature, the Truespeak DC is equal to 15 + target’s CR + target’s CHA mod.[/sblock]

[sblock=Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords]
The Bloodstorm Blade PrC (Tome of Battle) counts as full Initiator levels for the purposes of determining maximum maneuver levels (as the other ToB PrCs), but does not give any extra maneuvers, maneuvers readied or stances.

The Mountain Tombstone Strike maneuver (Stone Dragon Strike, level 9) requires that you have 2 other Stone Dragon maneuvers in order to learn it.

The Inferno Blade maneuver (Desert Wind Boost, level 7) requires you to have 3 other Desert Wind maneuvers in order to learn it. [/sblock]

[sblock=Races of the Dragon]
The Dracolexi PrC’s Draconic Word “veschik” (replenish) can only be used once per target, per day (as in, if a Dracolexi uses the word to regain a level 7 spell, then casts the spell, he cannot use the word again on himself, but could use it on his Cleric buddy, as long as the Cleric hasn’t benefited from that word yet today). However, he can use the Draconic Words in his spells an unlimited number of times per day (but still only once per round).

Venerable (Old age category or older) Dragonwrought Kobolds cannot take Epic Feats. [/sblock]

[sblock=Magic of Incarnum]
The Strongheart Vest soulmeld cannot be used to fuel the Hellfire Blast of a Hellfire Warlock (PrC from FC2). (However, a soul bind to Naberius, of Tome of Magic, is legal.) [/sblock]

[sblock=Libris Mortis]
The Deathbound Domain will use the Errata’d version, only increasing the number of undead you can create at one time to three times your caster level (rather than twice your caster level).

The Master of Shrouds has a requirement of Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, instead of 5. [/sblock]

[sblock=Player’s Handbook 2]
Dragon Shamans add Knowledge (arcana) as a class skill. [/sblock]

[sblock=Dragon Magic]
Eldritch Glaive is finesse-able.

Dragonfire Adepts cannot use Metabreath feats for their Breath Weapon Class Feature. (And if you try to use the Dragonborn race’s Breath Weapon, the Metabreath feat will only be usable with the racial breath weapon, not the class feature.) [/sblock]

[sblock=Complete Warrior]
Improved Toughness counts as Toughness for the purpose of meeting requirements/prerequisites.[/sblock]

[sblock=Additional Feats]
Practiced Invoker (General): Works the same as Practiced Spellcaster, but for Warlocks and Dragonfire Adepts, giving them a higher CL for their invocations and increasing their EB and Breath Weapon damage, respectively. [/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Available Books]
Player’s Handbook
Player’s Handbook 2
Complete Warrior
Complete Arcane
Planar Handbook
Races of the Dragon
Dragon Magic
Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords
Tome of Magic
Magic of Incarnum
Stormwrack
Unearthed Arcana

Dungeon Master’s Guide
Monster Manual 1, 2 and 4
Draconomicon
Libris Mortis
Fiendish Codex 1 and 2
Fiend Folio
Exemplars of Evil
Elder Evils[/sblock]

[sblock=Ban List]
Frenzied Berserkers (Complete Warrior)
Samurai (Complete Warrior)
Wu Jen (Complete Arcane)
Racial Variants (from Unearthed Arcana)
Bloodlines (from Unearthed Arcana)
Celerity in all its incarnations (Player’s Handbook 2)
Harpoons (Stromwrack)
Anything I don’t have.[/sblock]
And, here’s some info on the setting:

[sblock=Setting Info]
The world is in a time of peace. The Republic of Karvath and the Sebran Empire have maintained a decent relationship for about thirty years now, after the brutal war they had been fighting for about three years. The Gorin Alliance managed to broker a deal between the two nations, so that Sebran would transplant some of their trees to Karvath and help care for them with knowledge and magic so that Karvath would be able to have the lumber resources they so wanted. In return, Karvath would assist Sebran with their superior knowledge of metals and learned magic.

However, peacetime breeds complacency and can lead to desperation… Since the wars ended, many people lost their jobs in their respective militaries and are now hungry for work, and are willing to ignore the more unscrupulous natures of certain jobs…

Each nation is also aware of the Northlands, a horribly inhospitable place, but seemingly inhabited. The few ships that get close or land there rarely return, but those that do are badly damaged and the survivors speak of large, violent and destructive people who stopped at nothing to destroy them. Ships have tried sailing around the land, but only find huge mountains jutting up out of the sea blocking them off from the land anyway, though they can glimpse massive glaciers past the mountains on especially clear days…

Gorin is modeled on the classic Medieval Europe and England setting. Sebran is more Celtic, with some Egyptian style in their two south-most cities. Karvath is Greco-Roman in style and culture, with a little Arabic style in their south-most city. The Northlands are unexplored and savage (no PCs can be from the Northlands).

Karvath is composed mostly of humans, with some dwarves living in the mountains to the north, and gnomes in the foothills below. Several nomadic halfling clans travel the roads and rivers between the cities also. There are some half-orcs as well as a presence of most other humanoids in the major cities. However, there are very few elves in Karvath. As far as classes go, Barbarians and Dragon Shamans are uncommon, while druids, totemists and rangers are rare in Karvath.

Sebran is a very integrated society, boasting large populations of humans, dwarves, gnomes and elves, with a few halfling clans in the nation as well. Half-orcs have a very small population in Sebran, due to the old wars between the orcs, dwarves, elves and humans decimating their numbers. The most southern city in Sebran has a good-sized enclave of Skarn as well. The people of Sebran are more in tune with nature, but care somewhat less about books and their teachings, so it is unusual to find wizards, warmages, shadowcasters or duskblades in the nation.

Gorin is a very accepting nation, while also trying to remain neutral in relation to other lands, which hasn’t worked very well so far. They try to accept each race and make a place for them in the way of things, and so there are groups of nearly every humanoid race in the nation, including a kobold tribe (mostly LN) that periodically moves and trades freely with the nearest cities. Due to the strange collection of races, many different traditions and schools have grown within Gorin, and so members of every class can be found somewhere in the land.

(I will be starting the game in one of the cities of Gorin. If some of you want to write in that your PCs have worked together, that is fine with me.)[/sblock]

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I will also be adding the list of characters to this post as they are approved.

EDIT: Guess I ought to note the kind of music... I will be drawing primarily from classic rock (ranging from Jethro Tull to Led Zeppelin to... well, lots of stuff).

2nd EDIT: Added Complete Warrior to the HRs/Rulings.

Applied Players and Characters:
HolyMan …………Jasperian Sunsong, Male Human Bard
Jager0727 ………… Twi’Tar “Monkeyman” Alexa, Male Hadozee Rogue/Beguiler
Vertexx69 ………… Platinus, Male Dragonborn Goliath Ranger/Crusader
Theroc ………… Shavallah Touranisha, Female Duskling Totemist
Frozen Messiah ………… Major Tom Robinson, Male Hellbred Hexblade
OPEN SLOT

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Code:
Name: Jasperian Sunsong
Class: Bard
Race: Human
Size: Medium
Alignment: Neutral Good
Deity: ?

Str: 10 +0      Level: 3        XP: 3,000
Dex: 16 +3      BAB: +2         HP: 21 (3d6+3)
Con: 11 +0      Grapple: +2     Dmg Red: none
Int: 14 +2      Speed: 20'      Spell Res: 0%
Wis: 10 +0      Init: +3        Spell Save: 13+ spell lvl
Cha: 17 +3      ACP: -3         Spell Fail: 5%

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:           10    +4    +1    +3                      18
Touch: 13              Flatfooted: 15
                          Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                      1    +0          +1
Ref:                       3    +3          +6
Will:                      3    +0          +3

Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical   Range
Rapier,mw                 +3     1d6        18-20x2     ---
Dagger,mw(melee)          +3     1d4        19-20x2     ---
Dagger,mw(thrown)         +6     1d4        19-20x2     10' 

Languages: Common, Elven, Halfling
Abilities: Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge(1d20+7), countersong, fascinate,
                    inspire courage +1, Human traits, inspire competence 

Feats:  Prof. with all simple weapons plus longsword, rapier, sap, short sword,
           short bow, and whip, Prof. with light armor and shields(except tower 
           shields), Negotiator (bonus human), Toughness(lvl1), Skill Focus-
           Diplomacy 

Skill Points/lvl: 9/lvl   Max Ranks: 6/3
Skill points: 54       
Skills                      Ranks  Mod   Misc   Total
Perform(lute)                 6    +3     +2     +11
Perform(singing)              6    +3            +9
Diplomacy                     6    +3     +9     +18
Bluff                         6    +3            +9
Sense Motive                  5    +0     +2     +7
Knowledge(history)            5    +2            +7
Knowledges(all others)        2    +2            +4
Spellcraft                    2    +2            +4     

Equipment:               Cost  Weight
Taveler's Outfit                    0gp     0lb
Chainshirt(mw)                    250gp    25lb
Buckler(mw)                       165gp     5lb
Rapier(mw)                        320gp     2lb
Dagger(mw)                        302gp     1lb
Backpack                            2gp     2lb
  -sunrods(2)                       4gp     2lb
  -trail rations(2days)             1gp     2lb
  -waterskin                        1gp     4lb
  -sack(empty)                      1sp    .5lb
Belt Pouch                          1gp    .5lb
  -flint&steel                      1gp     ---
  -whetstone                        2cp     1lb
Lute(mw)                          100gp     3lb
Bedroll                             1sp     5lb
Spell Component Pouch               5gp     2lb
Magic:
-potions of cure light wounds(2)  100gp     1lb
-potion of levitation             300gp    .5lb
-dust of illusion               1,200gp    .5lb

Total Weight:57lb      Money: 95gp 7sp 8cp
                           Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push
Max Weight:                 33    66   100   200   500

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165lb
Eyes: light blue
Hair: blonde
Skin: light

Last edited:

jager0727

First Post
As a huge music buff this sounds like an awesome concept to play around with, I'll see if any brainstorms hit tonight or tomorrow and I might put something up for you to look at

Dragonwriter

First Post
HolyMan, there's a couple corrections that I see, then Jasper will be ready to go. :)
[sblock=Jasper Corrections]
Armor Check Penalty is -1, rather than -3 (MWK Armor and shields reduces ACP by 1). Speed is 30 feet. You have a 5% ASF with a buckler (bards suffer ASF with shields). You should also have about 1,100 GP left. At least, according to my math, since I gave you 2,700 GP to start with.

EDIT: And are you really sure about Toughness? I'd be willing to let Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior) count as it for other prerequisites.[/sblock]

As a huge music buff this sounds like an awesome concept to play around with, I'll see if any brainstorms hit tonight or tomorrow and I might put something up for you to look at

Awesome. :)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
at work right now so no books but I believe jasper is carrying a medium load so ACP -3 and Move = 20'

I will double check my math tonight for equipment maybe I put an extra zero somewhere. As for Improved Toughness won't the prerequestie[sp?] be Toughness first??? then you could improve it?

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
at work right now so no books but I believe jasper is carrying a medium load so ACP -3 and Move = 20'

I will double check my math tonight for equipment maybe I put an extra zero somewhere. As for Improved Toughness won't the prerequestie[sp?] be Toughness first??? then you could improve it?

HM

Ah, right... I've never paid huge attention to carrying capacity (since I usually play pretty strong, armored characters, it doesn't matter so much).

Only thing for Imp. Toughness is Base Fort save +2. So, while you don't qualify for it quite yet, once you do, I'd let you take it (and it is better than plain ol' Toughness, giving +1 HP/level, rather than just +3 HP), and I'd let it count as Toughness for PrCs and other feats.

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Music and D&D...My two loves

I'm intrigued by both the music part and the madness :D

The first thought that jumps into mind is a swashbuckler/Dervish who also ballroom dances

Would you allow the a) swashbuckler and b) Dervish?

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'm intrigued by both the music part and the madness :D

The first thought that jumps into mind is a swashbuckler/Dervish who also ballroom dances

Would you allow the a) swashbuckler and b) Dervish?

They're both fine classes by me. Dervish is a bit strong, but not brokenly strong, in my opinion.

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Very good, than that is what I shall do

For the record, I didn't chose Dervish for power more for how the fighting style plays out

oh yes, as a side note check out Rush (I ran a short ived campaign based soley of one of their songs)

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Very good, than that is what I shall do

For the record, I didn't chose Dervish for power more for how the fighting style plays out

oh yes, as a side note check out Rush (I ran a short ived campaign based soley of one of their songs)

That's fine. And, given your ballroom dancing idea... "Ballroom Blitz" anyone? May have to rig that one up into a neat l'il encouner... ;)

And I do know and quite enjoy Rush (though I sadly don't have any of theirs in my music). Any particular song you're thinking of?

Remove ads