Music-Inspired Insanity OOC [3.5, CLOSED]

jager0727

First Post
alright so I have a whole list (about 50 or so) possible character concepts based on musical characters or song references but three quick questions, urban or rural setting (mainly), just to clarify, if using a non-standard race are we adding racial hit dice to ECL (I wasn't sure since the Aasimar don't have any) and just how monty-python style game do you want to get with the music theme (including any number of song-related puns and such) in backgrounds and IC? Let me know and I can put up something basic tomorrow

Last edited:

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Is changeling alright for a race?

As for rush songs: A Farewell to Kings, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, New World Man, Witch Hunt and if you have time to listen 2112 (good for an evil government/group) and Xanadu

Dragonwriter

First Post
alright so I have a whole list (about 50 or so) possible character concepts based on musical characters or song references but three quick questions, urban or rural setting (mainly), just to clarify, if using a non-standard race are we adding racial hit dice to ECL (I wasn't sure since the Aasimar don't have any) and just how monty-python style game do you want to get with the music theme (including any number of song-related puns and such) in backgrounds and IC? Let me know and I can put up something basic tomorrow

Yes, racial HD count as ECL for this, reducing your class levels accordingly.

Honestly, the setting is varied... The nation I'll be starting you in (Gorin) has a few good-sized, civilized and somewhat impressive cities, but between the cities, the roads are in rather poor condition, as they don't have enough people in their various groups of guardsmen to patrol them. Your jobs will vary between the cities and the wilderlands (but early on, I expect there will be more adventures beyond the city walls).

As to the music references... Some will be obvious (for example, I'll title certain sections with the song title... I'm setting up something to go with Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Run Through the Jungle"), others will be a slight nod (passing by "Little Pink Houses" in a village near the road) and if you want to reference something in your characters, by all means, do it (For example, I've got a few NPCs set up along those lines: Lord Jeth Rotull, a sentient Iron Golem, and Father Judas).

Basically, I'm trying to set up adventures (along with NPCs and locales) based on different songs. Naturally, some songs are easier than others, but several just strike me as ones that could be brought to a D&D game and fit right in.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Is changeling alright for a race?

As for rush songs: A Farewell to Kings, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, New World Man, Witch Hunt and if you have time to listen 2112 (good for an evil government/group) and Xanadu

The only info I have on Changeling is off of CrystalKeep (blech!), so no...

The list of available books in the first post is the entire collection of my gaming library, and each of them are open to use (with my House Rules in mind). Anything beyond those I'm hard-pressed to allow, since I don't have any of the material to go with them, and I don't like relying on CrystalKeep for the most bare-bones info...

And I know Closer to the Heart and New World Man pretty well. I'll take a look/listen around at those others.

Frozen Messiah

First Post
It's of no consequence because I checked over requirements for Dervish/Deulist combination and I need all the skill points and feats I can get to make it effective, so I go back to human :p

The music I'm basing my character off of is that of Stonesour Sillyworld, he's going to be a anarchist (the nice kind though)

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hmm.. I need to do personality/background and I was thinking Jasper is a know it all (ranks in all knowledge skills and bardic knowledge) so anyone no any songs to that effect I guess i could goggle some lyrics and see from there.

HM

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Hmm.. I need to do personality/background and I was thinking Jasper is a know it all (ranks in all knowledge skills and bardic knowledge) so anyone no any songs to that effect I guess i could goggle some lyrics and see from there.

HM

Hey HM, there is a song by Primus called Mr.Know-it-all or if you want you could go with the Logical Song by Supertramp,

Hope it helps
FM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
They call me Mr. Knowitall
I will not compromise.
I will not be told what to do.
I shall not step aside.

I have no time to waste.
My mouth it spews pure intellect.
And I've such elegant taste.

They call me Mr. Knowitall.
I sup the aged wine.
Oh I could tell such wonderous tales
if I should find the time.
I must be Mr. Knowitall
For ideas they come in bounds.
I am Mr. Knowitall
Now spread the word around.

I am so eloquent.
Perfection is my middle name
And whatever... rhymes with eloquent.

Yes thanks FM I think that will do nicely.

HM

jager0727

First Post
Ok, well sorry it took so long, been a busy week already. Anyway, I resisted my corniest impulses and avoided the Hammer expert named Maxwell and Bungalow Bill the ranger and instead went with

Twi'Tar "Monkeyman" Alexa (Hadozee ship-name)
[sblock]
Twi'Tar Alexa (Hadozee ship-name)
"the Monkeyman"

Chaotic Good Male Hadozee Rogue 1 / Beguiler 2

Patron Deity: Osprem (god of sea voyages, sailors and ships)
EXP: 3000

Strength 13 (+1) (5pt buy)
Dexterity 16 (+3) (6pt buy, + 2 racial)
Constitution 14 (+2) (6pt buy)
Intelligence 17 (3) (13pt buy)
Wisdom 10 (+0) (2pt buy)
Charisma 10 (+0) (4pt buy, - 2 racial)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 235 lb
Eyes: grey
Hair: covered in reddish-brown fur with a black muzzle area

Appearance
[sblock]
Hadozee are ape-like creatures of human size. As such, Twi'Tar resembles a baboon of moderately tall, stocky human size. He possesses red-brown fur over most of his body, with the exception of his muzzle area and his hands and feet (which all possess an opposable thumb). Hadozee also possess a set of long, fang-like canines, visible when they open their mouths and "flaps" under their limbs resembling that of a flying squirrel.
[/sblock]

Total Hit Points: 24 (3D6 + 2/lvl Con bonus of 6)
Speed: 30 feet / glide 40ft (average) for a distance of 20 ft./5 ft. above the ground
Armor Class: 17 = 10 + 4 [studded leather +1] + 3 [dexterity]
Touch AC: 13
Flat-footed: 14

Special:
[sblock]
Rogue
1st Sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding
2nd Evasion
3rd Sneak attack +2d6, trap sense +1
4th Uncanny dodge
5th Sneak attack +3d6
6th Trap sense +2
7th Sneak attack +4d6
8th Improved uncanny dodge
9th Sneak attack +5d6, trap sense +3
10th Special ability
11th Sneak attack +6d6
12th Trap sense +4
13th Sneak attack +7d6, special ability
14th Sneak attack +8d6, trap sense +5
16th Special ability
17th Sneak attack +9d6
18th Trap sense +6
19th Sneak attack +10d6, special ability

Beguiler
1st Armored Mage, trapfinding
2nd cloaked casting (+1 DC), surprise casting
3rd advanced learning
4th
5th silent spell
6th surprise casting (move action)
7th advanced learning
8th cloaked casting (+2 to overcome SR)
9th
10th still spell
11th advanced learning
12th
13th
14th cloaked casting (+2 DC)
15th advanced learning
16th
17th
18th
19th advanced learning
20th cloaked casting (overcome SR)
[/sblock]

Caster Level: 2
Spell DC: 10 + Spell Level + 3 (Int)

Initiative modifier: + 3 = + 3 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: + 3 = 0 [base] + 2 [constitution] + 1 [cloak of resistance +1]
Reflex save: + 6 = 2 [base] + 3 [dexterity] + 1 [cloak of resistance +1]
Will save: + 4 = 3 [base] + 0 [wisdom] + 1 [cloak of resistance +1]

Attack (handheld): +2 = 1 [base] + 1 [strength] (+ 1 with light, rapier, chain or whip [feat])
Attack (missile): +4 = 1 [base] + 3 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +2 = 1 [base] + 1 [strength]

Light load: 50 lb.
Medium load: 51-100 lb.
Heavy load: 101-150 lb.
Lift over head: 150 lb.
Lift off ground: 300 lb.
Push or drag: 750 lb.

Languages: Common, Hadozee, Elven, Aquan, Draconic

Feats
[sblock]
Weapon Finesse: +1 to att. rolls with lt. weapons, rapiers, whips and chains
Persuasive: +2 to bluff and intimidate checks
[/sblock]

Skills
[sblock]
8 + Int/lvl rogue levels
6 + Int/lvl beguiler levels
Appraise + 3 = +3 [Int]
Balance + 7 = + 3 [Dex] + 4 [racial]
Bluff + 6 = + 4 [ranks] + 2 [feat]
Climb + 5 = + 1 [Str] + 4 [racial]
Concentration + 6 = + 4 [ranks] + 2 [Con]
Craft (leathrworking) + 6 = + 3 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Craft (fletching) + 6 = + 3 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Decipher Script + 5 = + 2 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Diplomacy
Disable Device + 7 = + 4 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Disguise
Escape Artist + 3 = + 3 [Dex]
Forgery + 3 = + 3 [Int}
Gather Information + 4 = + 4 [ranks]
Heal
Hide + 6 = + 3 [ranks] + 3 [Dex]
Intimidate + 2 = + 2 [feat]
Jump + 1 = + 1 [Str]
Knowledge (arcana) + 4 = + 1 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Knowledge (local) + 4 = + 1 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Listen + 4 = + 4 [ranks]
Move Silently + 7 = + 4 [ranks] + 3 [Dex]
Open Lock + 7 = + 4 [ranks] + 3 [Dex]
Perform
Profession (sailor) + 2 = + 2 [ranks]
Search + 6 = + 3 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Sleight of Hand + 4 = + 1 [ranks] + 3 [Dex]
Spot + 4 = + 4 [ranks]
Sense Motive + 4 = + 4 [ranks]
Spellcraft + 5 = + 2 [ranks] + 3 [Int]
Survival
Swim + 1 = + 1 [Str]
Tumble + 4 = + 1 [ranks] + 3 [Dex]
Use Magic Device + 4 = + 4 [ranks]
Use Rope + 3 = + 3 [Dex]
[/sblock]

Spells
[sblock]
Known Spells: beguiler list
Spells/Day
0 level: 6
1 level: 5 = 4 + 1 [Int]
2 level: + 1 [Int]
3 level: + 1 [Int]
4 level:
5 level:
6 level:
7 level:
8 level:
9 level:
[/sblock]

Level Advancement
[sblock]
1: Rogue - Decipher Script + 2; Craft(leatherworking), Craft(fletching)+ 3; Bluff, Disable Device, Gather Information, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Sense Motive, Spot, Use Magic Device + 4,
Sneak attack +1D6, Trapfinding
Feat: Persuasive

2: Beguiler - Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge(local), + 1; Hide + 3; Concentration + 4
Armored Mage, Trapfinding (again..)

3: Beguiler - Tumble, Sleight of Hand + 1; Spellcraft, Profession(sailor) + 2, Search + 3
Cloaked Casting (+1DC), Surprise Casting
Feat: Weapon Finesse

Totals:
BAB +1 (+0: rogue/+1: beguiler), Fort +0 (0: Rogue/0: beguiler),
Ref +2 (+2: rogue), Will +3 (+3: beguiler)
[/sblock]

Hadozee
[sblock]
• +2 Dexterity, –2 Charisma.
• Medium: As a Medium creature, a hadozee has no special
bonuses or penalties due to her size.
• Hadozee base land speed is 30 feet.
• Gliding: Hadozee can use their arm-flaps to glide,
negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing
them to travel 20 feet horizontally for every 5
feet of descent. A hadozee glides at a speed of 40 feet
(average maneuverability).
• +4 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks: Hadozee
are natural climbers and have no fear of narrow pathways.
A hadozee does not lose her Dexterity bonus to
AC while climbing and can climb unimpeded while
holding something in one hand.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Hadozee. Bonus
Languages: Aquan, Elven, Halfling.
• Favored Class: Rogue.
[/sblock]

Prestige
[sblock]
N/A
[/sblock]

Equipment
[sblock]
Studded Leather + 1 = 1175 gold/20 lbs, AC +3
Short sword = 10 gold/2 lbs (lt. melee/1d6/ crit 19-20 X2/ piercing)
Light Mace = 5 gold/4 lbs (lt. melee/1d6/ crit x2/ bludgeoning)
2 Daggers = 4 gold/2 lbs. (lt. melee/1d4/ crit 19-20 X2/ piercing or slashing)
Short bow = 30 gold/2 lbs. (ranged/1d6/ crit X3/ 60ft. range/ piercing)
20 arrows = 1 gold/3 lbs.
Backpack = 2 gold/2 lbs
Bedroll = 1 silver/5 lbs
Flint and Steel = 1 gold
Whetstone = 2 copper/1 lb.
Waterskin = 1 gold/4 lbs .
Spell Component Pouch = 5 gold/2 lbs.
Thieves Tools = 30 gold/1 lb.
Leather Belt = 2 silver
High Boots = 5 silver/1 lb.
2 Belt Pouches = 2 gold/1 lb.
Wand of Light(50 charges) = 375 gold
Cloak of Resistance +1 = 1000 gold/ 1 lb.
_____
Total:2637 gold, 7 silver 2 copper/49 lb. lbs.
GP on person: 62 gold, 2 silver 8 copper
[/sblock]

religious views
[sblock]
Twi' Tar took up faith in the god Osprem who, despite being only a minor god, is highly revered in coastal areas as god of sea voyages, sailors and ships. For most of his life he acknowledge the gods' existence but wasn't particularly devote, until a ship's chaplin named McKenzie who was devoted to Osprem converted him during his first passage as a deck hand. The man's comfort and help after a violent storm, in which the superstitious crew members swore they saw the infamous "riders" sometimes seen on storms, so impressed the young Hadozee that he paid homage to the man's deity at the first temple he found after he made landfall.
[/sblock]

background
[sblock]
Twi' Tar has fond memories of a childhood spent roaming the docks of whatever city in southern Sebran his family was passing through at the time. Like most Hadozee, his parents were wanderers and naturally adept sailors, who traveled from port to port taking crew positions on trade ships between Sebran, Karvath and other less-civilized locales.
As a result, Twi' Tar often spent months at a time with Hadozee communal houses eagerly running to the dock of the bay each evening to sit and await his parents' return.
Upon reaching adolescence, he took his first job as crew on a sloop, the John Boley, making short trips between the cities of Sebran. Cpt. Wilson of the vessel took an interest in the young Hadozee and, sensing he was more intelligent than the average dock-scamp, allowed him access to his books and told him stories of the far away lands and creatures he might someday meet in his travels.
He remained with the vessel for some months before he and an ettercap crewmate named Boris disembarked in the north to find positions on a larger vessel. After a few months in the city with little luck, Boris suggested a policy of noting which merchants were corrupt and taking what they needed from them. Soon tales of "The Spider and The Monkeyman" were circulating throughout the trade districts and it began to become more difficult for the amateurs to hone their skills faster than their pursuers could track them. This life was destined to be short-lived however. Late one night Twi'Tar and Boris were spotted by the town constables. The young Hadozee gae himself up to the authorities (a move that may well have saved him life or limb) and the deputies arrested him on the spot. Boris on the other hand, decided to flee and was trailed by the town sheriff until finally cornered in a blind alley where he unfortunately shot the man with an arrow before making his escape, Twi'Tar has since heard only rumors of whether his friend lives or not. Twi'Tar was imprisoned for his part in the robberies.
After being held in the town labor barracks for so long he had begun to lose track of the days, he was one day freed and told his restitution to the town's merchants had been paid. Upon his release, he was met by the former first mate on the Boley, Corporal Clegg. Clegg informed him he had ventured up the coast to take his first captain's commission on a downeaster named the Alexa and the hadozee could work off his debt to him as crew. Twi'Tar quickly agreed, not wanting to return to the labor barracks and took on his first full deck position on the Alexa, where Clegg continued his education in sailing and navigation. The hadozee remained with Clegg as his journey's progressed from short, city-hopping trade runs to exploratory forays to the north, where a deep wanderlust to see the northern lands over the hills and far away was kindled within him.
Over time, he also made close friends with crew mates who would come and go over the voyages. In particular, two swordsman, Johnny "Blade" and Mack "the Knife" began to teach him the art making his strokes count to make up for what he lacked in strength. A whore and sometime ship's cook named Sweet Melissa taught him the subtleties of getting information and manipulating people to his own ends. An old tribesman from northern Sebran who described himself as an eskimo, named Quinn showed him the arts of working leather and weapons, though he never had a knack with working metal and could produce little more than arrowheads, he was however very good with tasks requiring manipulation fo small objects, and the man taught him the inner workings of locks and the complex devices sometimes in the ship's hold. Finally, he became friends with a sea sprite named Betty Lou after he fashioned her a new pair of leather shoes she had wanted to replace the worn fairy boots she had, in return, the sprite taught him the rudiments of the enchanting and illusion magics that come naturally to the fey. He took one final position with his friends, simple trade voyage for the Sheik of Araby to deliver goods to a city in Karvath.
In Karvath he heard of a village named Johnson's Crossroads where he had heard resided two reclusive adepts in the arcane schools of mystery known only as the Hoodoo Man and Rihannon the Black Magic Woman. After the voyage he set off for the village and, after petitioning the two and being taken on mostly as a curiosity (being a hadozee wanting to learn magic) has been an apprentice there until recently, when his teachers instructed him to go and seek worldly experience.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

So let me know what you think (and if I need to pull any of my references out that you might be planning on using).

Also HM you might want to check out a few of the lines from Steely Dan's Reelin in the Years, but I think Frozen Messiah probably made the best call available, props.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
HolyMan, I still need you to add the 5% ASF and the extra money to your character.

Jager, very cool. Love the references. There was only mistake on your sheet, and that is your AC should be 16 because Bracers of Armor’s bonus doesn’t stack with normal armor (same bonus: armor).

And there's only one thing in the background I need either a little clarification on, a slight edit, or to drop it... The northern tribesman (Quinn)... Do you mean he was from the Northlands, or from a roving tribe in the north of Sebran? If you clarify it to be Sebran, that can stay, but no one comes out of the Northlands.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases