My Final Fantasy Tabletop RPG based on the elements of 4th edition

Evenglare

Adventurer
Hello everyone, I had this posted in the 4th edition message board, however the game is starting to take a form of it's own still using elements of 4th edition. Here are my original messages posted about this on the 4th board.

-----

So I have started with the daunting task of actually getting this off the ground. I have been working the past couple of days with formatting, and I have come to something I am extremely proud of. I have the basis of my rules in place , I WILL be using an MP system along with MP surges (i'm thinking of using them for magic feats such as an "all" feat which would allow you to spend a surge and target a larger area instead of a single target , things like that). Of course I'm still in the very early stages, but I am finally set and ready to go with 20 classes (5 of each role, roles now being Offensive, Protector, Support, and Controller) . And last but not least, here is a pic of 2 of my 20 classes, each has the same quality as these.
--
Just an update, I have been hard at work compiling magic, equipment , class abilities, and all kinds of other stuff from every final fantasy game to get inspiration from. I have also decided to divide up gameplay into 4 tiers. 1-5, 6-10,11-15, and 16-20. Not only does this help divide up different story tiers, it also helps with over all campaign and character development. One huge thing that lines up with this is magic. In final fantasy there is usually a 4 tiered magic system such as Fire, Fira, Firaga, and Firaja. The 4 tiered system (not intentionally) harkens back to the good ol' playstation 4 disk games. These tiers help so much with general balance too , for feats and other such things.

One thing that really troubled me was how to go about skills, after looking at every avenue I have decided to scrap the skill system of 4th edition completely and implement my own system . The skills we normally know of are now completely gone, in their place I have a much much smaller skill set that I term skill categories, which will be divided up into smaller skills (which resemble more of traditional table top games). These skills -can- be used normally . For example making a subterfuge check for theivery or something. However the big change I have are skill points.

Yes, skill points are back again, but they are not intended to be cumbersome and annoying. These skills points are allocated to skill categories, and they open up new feats and powers, you could almost think of them as skill trees, which allow you to customize your character even further. A very easy example of what skill points will do is when put into a weapon skill (such as Weapon skill [swords]) They will open up new sword based skills you can choose to use. If you are familiar with final fantasy XI it is very similar to that system getting new weapon skills. When skill points are put into MAGIC skills, you open up new magic feats such as burst 1, or a Wall and more.

I have also decided to change "healing surges" into Physical Surges, which means that I do have Magic Surges as well. These surges can do things you would expect them to do such as revover HP or MP , but they also are used for things such as powerful powers (akin to limit breaks), as well as fueling the magic feats mentioned above. I am still working out fine tuning, but these are some of the things I have in mind.

This is a very large undertaking , but I am having a hell of a fun time with it . Oh yes, I would also like to allow you to peak into a new type of power. Instead of making my magic powers at will or encounters or whatever, magic powers now have their own BLUE header , and they cost MP. It just seemed easier and much cleaner to make up a separate power system for magic, since magic is such a big part of final fantasy.

As it turns out, this will definitly -not- be compatible with 4th edition as it currently stands, however the fundamental elements of 4e are alive and well. There are just too many changes and tweaks to make it compatible, but anyway, here are a couple of pics from my latest progress!

-----

I know a lot of people have attempted a Final Fantasy conversion and most of them have been overly complicated. This is intended to capture the feel of the "medieval" final fantasies and the tactics games. I have put a lot of time and effort into this I hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• Fri Apr 6-1.jpg
    Fri Apr 6-1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Fri Apr 6-2.jpg
    Fri Apr 6-2.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Fri Apr 6-3.jpg
    Fri Apr 6-3.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 247
  • Fri Apr 6-4.jpg
    Fri Apr 6-4.jpg