• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E My First 4E Game: Disappointing. Yours? (UPDATED with player feedback)

Toryx

First Post
I doubt that the OP's experience is as rare as people might thing. I'd never have opened a new thread to discuss my own negative 4e experience on ENWorld myself and I'm frankly hesitant to even post about it now.

My experiences with 4e are pretty similar. The only difference is that the same effect occurs whether the players are interested in 4e or not. Any time I play with a group that has high expectations toward roleplay, the game ends with disappointment. The key cause for this is that the game does have an aspect where everything is geared toward combat and dice rolling. The new skill encounter rules as well seem geared much more toward roll and fail/ succeed than roleplay. There's definitely a sense of fight, pause, fight, pause in every 4e session I've been in. Generally that leads to my groups concluding that they can see how this appeals to people, but it doesn't appeal to them.

The Warcraft allusion comes up a lot.

Whether this will be changed when everyone has the books in their hands is yet to be seen, but in my rather large circle of gamers, no one would call them a 4e supporter thus far.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
LowSpine said:
They are the people that say CDs don't sound as real life as vynl. I have seen bands in real life and I don't remember an invasive constant hiss and lots of pops and crackles loud enough to make jump out of my own arse.

For what it's worth, this may actually be true. Vinyl does capture a wider range of frequencies than the typical audio CD can reproduce. It's not a question of the hisses and pops (which are minimal on a well-preserved vinyl record), it's the fidelity of the reproduction.
And the art was better when it wasn't crammed into so small a slip of glossy paper.

Xorn

First Post
I just had this morbid image of beaning one of these guys with a baseball bat, and describing that they seem much more vulnerable to me now that they are bloodied.

I need help. :D

Toryx:
This is by no means a judgement on you, but I can't get my players to STOP roleplaying so we can keep the crunchy bits of the demo going. Every demo I run I preface it with, "We're going to be testing out the crunchy parts of 4E tonight, so I'm not throwing a lot of plot or intrigue into this. Just a lot of different encounters to get a feel for what we know about."

And they still keep roleplaying. Just gives me the impression that 4E has very little to do with how much your playgroup wants to roleplay. Which I've always felt is true, I just see it reinforced in practice.

Last edited:

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
Well, all I can say is, if some people came to my house and started acting like that, they would be leaving it ASAP and they would not be returning again, well, ever, as far as I'd be concerned.

If they don't want to play 4e, just come out and tell you. To accept an invitation and then sabotage it deliberately with obnoxiousness is about as crass as you can get.

As an example, I personally am utterly bored by basketball. There is nothing on earth that could get me to like basketball. However, if someone invited me to a basketball game, I would do one of two things:

1. I would thank them, but tell them that I wasn't interested in basketball, and I wouldn't want to be a damper on their fun.

2. I would go, and pretend enough interest to be polite. I wouldn't be leaping around, raving, but I would at least agree with them when they said, "wow, that was great."

Your players appear to have taken the third approach, which I would never consider:

3. Accept the invitation to the basketball game, then spend the whole game loudly making insulting comments about the game and the people who enjoy watching it.

If they didn't want to play 4e, it would have been infinitely better to say:

"Sorry, we don't want to do that. Let's play some Diablo instead, okay?"

(Oh, yes, and as an interesting aside, I also had you pegged as completely anti-4th edition, just a more polite anti-4e than some.)

skullking

First Post
Darkthorne said:
as you stated people had brought along their laptops w/o any mention of it to you. Also the fact it was done midgame to me that's beyond rude. QUOTE]I have to agree with this, this is just simply rudeness of the highest degree after you went to the truble of running a game. Even if it hadn't been planned and was just spontaneous it still seems bad mannered to the extreme. If they were not enjoying the experiance they should have expressed this in a mature way and the group as a whole should have agreed on the way forward. I wonder how they would have reacted if you had acted this way to a game one of them was running.

Lizard

Explorer
Honestly, I don't think there's enough of the rules to try yet. Controlled, constrained, tournament modules which exist only to show off a subset of the mechanics aren't a good "Testbed" for a real session. Of course it will feel like a boardgame -- with so few rules in place, it effectively *is*.

The only way I can see to enjoy playing 4e now is by treating it as a 'free demo' -- like getting the first level of Doom or being able to play out 100 turns of civilization. (What I am curious about is how many people who are happy with the 'simplicity' and 'openness' of this demo will feel like when the full 600+ pages of rules shows up in June and the supplements begin churning out like clockwork soon after...)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
skullking said:
Darkthorne said:
I wonder how they would have reacted if you had acted this way to a game one of them was running.

Ah, but most people are players, as DMing requires actual, you know, effort.

I have a theory that a lot of the people resistant to 4th Ed are players that are bummed that they won't be able to pull off their campaign/encounter ruining/DM headache shenanigans they have enjoyed all these years

3rd Ed, to me, had a bit of a player-pleasing/DMs go screw yourselves vibe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads