My first session!!!

johnsemlak

First Post
After months of trying to put together a group (here in Moscow), I had my first session.

There were four players, one of whom was my wife. I DMed. None of the players knew the rules, so I had to explain from the beginning concepts like race, class. They hadn't even seen any dice except the d6.

After a brief explaination of basic concepts (thanks everybody for all the comments on how do do so in a related thread), I gave them some pregenerated characters (I had quite a few, so the players could choose something they wanted in terms of race and class), and we went through <i>The Burniong Plague</i>. We got to encounter 6, and had to stop the session while being attacked by zombies.

I have to recommend <i>The Burning Plague</i> as an introductory module for newbies. It's got a little of everything. My players fell through thier first pit trap (a near TPK), got ambushed several times, tried sipping a potion, listened through doors, etc.

We did combat on makeshift battle sheets I did by drawing the rooms on a sheet of paper and drawing a grid with a pencil. We used small chess pieces for miniatures. It worked really well. It was the first time I had every used miniatures to such an extent. It really helps, I must say. I'm really interested in battlemats now.

To give them a taste of what might lie in the future, I showed them my Greyhawk map from LGG, which I plan to use in modified form (I'm going to add a Russian-flavored kingdom somehwere) They had never seen such a detailed fantasy setting map, and thought it was really cool.

I really hope the players are as interested in continuing as they say they are. It's always difficult to judge. They probably don't yet have the same passion I have, and may never will, but we have agreed to meet again, so their's real promise of an ongoing campaign.

Anyway, I can finally say my D&D-Moscow campaign has begun!!!

Last edited:

Jeph

Explorer
Congrats! I remember my first game session. Was not pretty. :(

Was this your first ever game session, or first in Moscow?

johnsemlak

First Post
Jeph said:
Congrats! I remember my first game session. Was not pretty. :(

Was this your first ever game session, or first in Moscow?

Well, first in a lot of ways.

First in Moscow, First in a language besides English, First DMing in 3rd edition, and finally, First in a LONG time.

I DMed a bit with 1e and Basic a while back, but I was a crap DM then. Played in a few other caimpaigns.

However, I hadn't played at all since about 1991 or so, save FRPG computer games, one session I sat in on in Berlin while visiting a friend, and some solo play I've devised.

grodog

Hero
Hey John,

In addition to the various Huts of Baba Yaga published by TSR over the years, here are a few more Russian D&D resources:

- there were a few articles in Dragon Magazine about the Bogyatyr's of Old Kiev (see issues 53 and 290; I think there's another, too, can't recall that one offhand)

- there was a pre-d20 D&D clone published in Australia called Rus which was strongly based on Russian folklore

- GURPS: Russia is a great resource, as is the Ars Magica book The Dragon and the Bear

Good luck, and keep us posted about your Russian Greyhawk efforts (perhaps on Canonfire! or Greytalk, too?).

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads