D&D 5E My guess for the other D&D book this year... Draconomicon!

We know the fifth major product this year will be James Wyatt‘s as-yet unannounced project, and we know it will be coming out this year between Witchlight and Strixhaven. Wyatt co-wrote the Draconomicon for 3E. There have been two recent dragon-themed Unearthed Arcanasdragon-themed subclasses, and Draconic Options with new dragon-themed spells and Dragonborn variants. He co-wrote those, too. The Gothic Lineages UA turned into Ravenloft, and the Folk of the Feywild UA turned into Witchlight.

Plus the new Dragonlance novel trilogy launches very soon (though that’s licensed out).

So far this year we've already seen or know about two settings (Ravenloft and Strixhaven), and two adventures (Candlekeep and Witchlight). It feels like a rules supplement (monsters, player options, magic items, etc) is due.

I have no inside knowledge on this; it’s 100% a guess. But it sounds like it has gotta be a dragon book. X’s Guide to Dragons? A new Draconomicon?

C73F8DD1-1B43-4A80-82A3-23A9D42D1AB7.jpeg

D&D 3E Draconomicon (2003)​

dave2008

Legend
My comment regarding the ancient dragons is simply before in my experience, not many campaigns make it to the high levels required to fight ancient dragons. I wish they did!
That thing about 5e is that you only need to about lvl 12-15 to think about taking on some ancient dragons, and I am never afraid to throw in a monster the PCs can't beat! ;)

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
That thing about 5e is that you only need to about lvl 12-15 to think about taking on some ancient dragons, and I am never afraid to throw in a monster the PCs can't beat! ;)
I honestly have no idea what level are required to fight what challenge ratings in 5E. It's always a guessing game. You might just have doomed my players to fight some much tougher monsters in the upcoming months! :ROFLMAO:

Yaarel

He Mage
Draconomicon would have the psionic gem dragons in it, who have been mentioned occasionally.

By extension, the book might include setting lore, describing or resembling the Council of Wyrms.

Draconomicon would have the psionic gem dragons in it, who have been mentioned occasionally.

By extension, the book might include setting lore, describing or resembling the Council of Wyrms.
Sounds good to me. They could include variant special abilities to spice up the dragons in the Monster Manual if they wanted.

jgsugden

Legend
While it would be a fine book, my priorities for a new book would be:

• Epic Level Handbook (Levels 21 to 30)
  • Psionics Handbook (Psions, Psychic Warriors, real Psionics rules, etc...)
  • Planejammer
  • Dark Sun Setting
  • The Dungeon Master Training Manual (techniques and lessons to help DMs improve their games - acting, organization, advice for handling common difficult situations, Session 0, etc...)

Guessing the title will be ASHARDALON'S CODEX OF DRAGONS
Perhaps swapping out Codex for Tome, Book, Libram, Collection or something

Expect it will be more like VOLO'S GUIDE or MORDENKAINEN'S TOME. Half lore and half new options
Give each of the 10 type of dragon 4 pages with a full-page being a sample lair. That's 40 pages
15 pages each on kobolds, dragonborn, and maybe another random monster type. (like MT detailes gnomes and halflings.) 85 pages so far
Another 15 pages on the subclasses and altered races and you have 100

Then new monsters, including gem dragons
But mostly just a grab bad of new monsters

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If I had to guess, I wouldn't bet on a third setting book this year. We have two adventures and two settings so far. I think it's likely a rules supplement.
I agree. I think we'll get a DL book, but it most likely won't be this year (as per your reasoning).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases