My Illrigger Revision

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I am a BIG fan of Matt Colville, and I think he did a mostly fine job on the Illrigger class (can be found here for those who aren't familiar). However, I have found some problems regarding its balance compared to other classes. Additionally, a lot of the language was really vague regarding how things functioned. So here is my revision of the Illrigger. For each ability, I make a note regarding my changes and reasoning. Anywhere something isn't mentioned directly means it's likely I made no change.

Proficiencies- Mostly I keep these the same. I do give the Illrigger heavy armor though. I just don't see a good reason not to.

Forked Tongue
Choose one of the following skills: Deception, Intimidation, or Persuasion. You gain proficiency in the chosen skill if you don’t already have proficiency. If you do have proficiency, the you double your proficiency bonus with that skill.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]This is one change Matt had mentioned on his reddit, and I agree with him.[/sblock]

Infernal Conduit
There is a pool of infernal power within you that replenishes after you take a long rest. With this pool you can transfer up to your level x 3 hit points between your Illrigger and other targets.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

When your pool is below its maximum number of hit points, you can refill it by stealing hit points from others. As an action, you can touch another creature. If the creature is unwilling it must make a Constitution saving throw (DC equal to 8 + your charisma modifier + your proficiency modifier). If the target fails, you may drain hit points from the target to refill your pool of hit points, up to its normal maximum. If the target succeeds, this ability does not affect them and you may not attempt it on them again for 24 hours.

If you are at full health, you may use this power to gain temporary hit points up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool. You cannot give another creature temporary hit points.

At 9th level, your Infernal Conduit allows you to expend 5 points from your pool to remove a level of exhaustion from an ally. You can remove multiple levels of exhaustion with a single use of Infernal Conduit, expending the total hit points separately for each one. Additionally, you can inflict a level of exhaustion on a creature when you than drain their hit points. For every 15 hit points you drain from a creature, you inflict one level of exhaustion.

At 13th level, your Infernal Conduit allows you to know the thoughts of an affected creature. Gaining insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates).

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]This was one of the abilities that I didn't feel was spelled out clearly enough as to how it functioned. Did you have to spend the points to drain HP from a target? Did you need to spend points to remove or bestow a level of exhaustion? It didn't make much sense to me, so I worked to clarify it. I also didn't see a reason for this ability to work on undead or constructs, similar to Lay on Hands.[/sblock]

Malicious Tactics
At 2nd level you choose an Illrigger Malicious Tactic:

Treachery
When you attack an enemy that is with 5’ of an ally, or attack a surprised enemy, you add 1d6 to your damage against them.

Bravado
While you are not wearing any armor or a shield, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Proficiency bonus.

Arrogance
When an enemy you can see makes a melee attack against you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that enemy. You must be wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons in order to benefit from this fighting style.

Lies
While wielding a simple one-handed weapon, you may choose to use your Charisma modifier instead of your Strength modifiers for the attack and damage rolls.

Wrath
When you are wielding a two-handed melee weapon, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]I didn't think these really should be called fighting styles, since they are clearly so different and a bit more powerful than fighting styles. So I differentiated them, using a name that I believe I saw someone else suggest. With Treachery, I changed it because I don't personally use flanking rules, so this works a bit better for my table. I changed Schemes to Arrogance, because it seemed to fit better. I also tried to improve/clarify the wording, but largely left it functioning as intended. For Lies... well... I really hate abilities that swap spellcasting modifiers for weapon attacks. For me, this is a personal design choice, but it also just doesn't make much sense to me. Outside of the Shillelagh cantrip and the Hexblade (which I don't allow at my table in its official form), I'm not aware of any abilities that allow someone to do this. So, in a compromise, I allowed it, but made it function similar to Shillelagh. And Wrath was the second part of the compromise, to give a style for two-handed weapon fighters.[/sblock]

Baleful Interdict
Upon reaching 2nd level, you learn how to use the power granted by your Archdevil to censure other creatures. As a bonus action you can place a seal on a target within 30 feet. You can do this a number of times equal to your charisma modifier. You replenish all your seals after a long rest.
When you or an ally hits a target you can see with a seal on them, you may consume the seals, inflicting 2d6 necrotic damage on the target per seal. If you are within 30 feet of the target, you heal one point of damage for each die of damage your seals inflict.

Seals evaporate if not used after one minute. Only the illrigger who placed the seal knows it’s there, it appears in the illrigger’s sight as a glowing glyph on the creature’s forehead.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]The only real change here is I removed the need for a Illrigger to use a spell slot and limited use for a Baleful Interdict. While it does less damage overall than a paladin’s smite, it doesn’t draw from spell slots, giving a Illrigger more spellcasting capacity.[/sblock]

Spellcasting – Progression was adjusted to match that of a half-caster.

Hellsight – No changes.

Knight of Hell – I removed the capstone from the archetype. I don’t like how the paladin does it either. This is a personal choice, rather than one based on design. I think it is cleaner to have every illrigger get the same capstone, based around Baleful Interdict since that is what is primary to the class identity.

Marquis of Hell
Starting at 6th level, you demonstrate an ability to exert influence over fiends. Fiends have disadvantage on attack rolls against you, and you are immune to being charmed, frightened, or possessed by them.

As an action, you can exert your commanding presence upon fiends. Each fiend that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Charisma saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is beguiled for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw is immune to this effect for 24 hours.

A beguiled creature cannot take actions or reactions. It can respond to questions, and you have advantage on Charisma and Wisdom based skill checks against it.

If a fiend fails its saving and its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold as shown in the table below, the creature is affected as if by the Dominate Monster spell, but the effect is permanent and does not require concentration. You may only control one fiend in this manner at any one time. If multiple fiends would be affected, you choose one to be dominated and the rest are treated as beguiled as described above.

Dominate Fiend
Illrigger Level - Dominates Fiend of CR…
5th - 1/2 or lower
8th - 1 or lower
11th - 2 or lower
14th - 3 or lower
17th - 4 or lower

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]This was another ability that bothered me for its vagueness. How long does the devil serve you? How exactly will it serve you? If you are level 5 and come across a balor, and it crit fails, do you now have a balor servitor indefinitely? Additionally, by specifying that it only works with devils doesn’t make as much sense to me as fiends. So instead, I made it more like a cleric’s turn/destroy undead ability.[/sblock]

Relentless Interdiction
Upon reaching 10th level your well of infernal power increases. You now regain spent seals on a short or long rest.

Alternative Class Feature

Duke of Hell

Upon reaching 10th level, you gain the ability to request aid from a fiend.

Calling your fiend requires you to use your action. Describe the fiend that will heed your call, and roll a d20. If you roll a number equal to or lower than your illrigger level, you summon a loyal fiend to your side. A fiend up to CR 8 will appear in an unoccupied space of your choice within 30 feet. For the next minute, the fiend is bound to you and must obey your commands to the best of its ability. It acts on your initiative, including the turn in which it was summoned. If you die or fall unconscious, the fiend returns to Hell.

At level 18, you automatically succeed at calling a fiend to your service.

Once you have summoned the fiend, you can’t use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, you can use it again after you finish a short or long rest.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]Duke of Hell is an INSANELY powerful ability. It is equivalent to a 9th level spell. A 9th level Summon Celestial maxes out at CR 5, and Summon Fey / Elemental both max out at CR 9 when cast at 9th level. For my personal tastes, I prefer Relentless Interdiction, as it improves Baleful Interdiction similarly to Font of Inspiration for the bard. But for those that want the Duke of Hell ability, I rewrote it to be more in line with a cleric’s Divine Intervention, since they seem to have a similar level of power (9th level spell equivalent) and the same recharge time. For those that insist on Duke of Hell at level 10, I recommend placing Relentless Interdiction at level 13, alongside the infernal conduit improvement.[/sblock]

Improved Baleful Interdict – No changes

Duke of Hell
Upon reaching 18th level, you gain the ability to summon a fiend to serve you.

Calling your fiend requires you to use your action. A fiend up to CR 9 will appear in an unoccupied space of your choice within 30 feet. For the next minute, the fiend is bound to you and must obey your commands to the best of its ability. It acts on your initiative, including the turn in which it was summoned. If you die or fall unconscious, the fiend returns to Hell.

Once you have summoned the fiend, you can’t use this feature again for 7 days.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]This is where and how I would prefer Duke of Hell to come into play.[/sblock]

Supreme Interdiction
Upon reaching 20th level, your ability to censure creatures in service of your lords in unmatched. You gain the following abilities:
• You have unlimited uses of Baleful Interdiction. However, the maximum number of seals you can place upon a creature is equal to your Charisma modifier.
• Your seals inflict an additional 1d6 damage. While you have unspent seals, your weapon attacks inflict an additional 1d6 damage.
• When a creature bearing your seals dies with unspent seals, you can use your reaction to place them upon a new target you can see within 30 feet.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]Once again, this is a personal preference regarding class capstones. I think it is more appropriate for capstones to be tied to the primary ability of the class, not the archetype.[/sblock]

Shadowmaster

Invoke Authority
When you take this station at 3rd level, you gain the following two Invoke Authority options.

Cloud of Brimstone. When you use your Invoke Authority ability, you can pass into a plane of brimstone and shadow to cross distances in an instant. As a bonus action, you can teleport to an unoccupied space up to 30’ feet away.

Beguiling Presence. You can use your Invoke Authority to exude a beguiling presence. As an action, you force each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a creature becomes charmed by you for 1 minute. The charmed creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns as well as anytime they take damage, ending the effect on itself on a success.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]I increase the range of the first to 30 feet. Just made more sense to me. And the original second Invoke Authority seemed off. I mean, it had 2 opportunities to fail, required metagame knowledge about an enemy’s stats, and even then was poorly worded on exactly how that attack would be executed. I also believed that each archetype should get unique invoke authority uses, rather than all have the same one just slightly different.[/sblock]

Scion of Moloch – No Change

Blessing of Shadow
Upon attaining 15th level, you can travel through the shadow to avoid enemies bearing your seals. Whenever an enemy bearing one of your seals deals damage to you, you may use your reaction to teleport to an unoccupied space up to 30’ away.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]The original seemed way too powerful, given how easy it is to place seals on creatures. I like the flavor, but I think this works well.[/sblock]

Painkiller

Invoke Authority
When you take this station at 3rd level, you gain the following two Invoke Authority options.

Devastator – No change

Mirror of Pain. You can use your Invoke Authority to cause an enemy bearing your seals to feel the pain they inflict upon others. When you or an ally you can see within 30’ takes damage from an enemy bearing your seals, you can use your reaction and force that enemy to make a Charisma save. If the enemy fails the save, they take psychic damage equal to the damage dealt. On a success they take half the damage.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]Once again, I thought this would be a more thematic option.[/sblock]

Scion of Dispater – No change

Blessing of Fury
Starting at 15th level, your attacks cause greater injury. Whenever hit an enemy with a weapon attack, you deal 2d6 additional weapon damage.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]The extra attack seemed poorly worded in how those attacks could happen. Like if I use one attack to hit two different creatures bearing seals, do I get an extra attack on each one? If I just hit a creature without seals with my main attacks, do I get an extra one against one nearby with seals?[/sblock]

Architect of Ruin

Invoke Authority

Infernal Arcanist. No Change

Viscous Will. When you Invoke Authority, you manifest an invisible mire of psychic ooze around an enemy, making it difficult for them to move. As an action, choose an enemy within 30’ of you that you can see. The creature must succeed on a Wisdom or Charisma saving throw (its choice) or be restrained. While restrained by the psychic ooze, the creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success, it frees itself and the psychic ooze vanishes.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]This second invoke authority also seemed more thematic and appropriate.[/sblock]

Scion of Asmodeus – No Change

Blessing of Fire
Starting at 15th level, the flames of hell constantly writhe about you, lashing out at those seeking to do you harm. Whenever a creature hits you with an attack, that creature takes fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1) if you’re not incapacitated.

[sblock=Changes and Reasoning]I based this ability to be more like Fire Shield in it’s wording, but largely functions the same.[/sblock]

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I have, but it was my first ever Reddit post. I've never really used it, but I know Matt and others that follow him do. Not really sure about posting etiquette on Reddit, so I posted it as a response to Matt when he asked for feedback on the Illrigger earlier this month.

I have an easier to read pdf of my revised version here if it helps.

Remove ads