• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"My name is John Crichton... I hunt Goa'uld."

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
BelenUmeria said:
It would be a slap in the face to Carter if he was to replace RDA. More likely, he will take on Carter's old role and be the second in command of SG-1.
I did not mean he would replace RDA's rank as much as the overall military-smartarse persona.

Last edited:

Chimera

First Post
I dunno. I have mixed feelings.

A 9th season....I thought 8 was pushing it, but it worked OK. Adding a new cast member for season 9? Touchy. Depends on his position. No way I'd want him coming in above (Lt.) COLONEL Carter. Also depends on whether or not they're calling it the "last" season or holding out for seasons 10,11, etc. If they're freshening up to go long, then fine. If he's just coming in for the last hurrah, then it doesn't do much.

Also gotta wonder about the role. Obviously he can't be Crighton, a character I very much enjoyed. So how subdued and/or military will they make him?

Throw me a bone. Have him knocked out or sleeping in one episode and when they wake him up, he says "I dreamt I was on a ship...a living ship." That would be a nice cross-touch for the fan-boy in me.

Chimera said:
Throw me a bone. Have him knocked out or sleeping in one episode and when they wake him up, he says "I dreamt I was on a ship...a living ship." That would be a nice cross-touch for the fan-boy in me.

Considering how they made jokes about MacGuyver in the earlier SG-1 eps, a little nod like this wouldn't surprise me. :)

DrNilesCrane

First Post
Hope they keep RDA but I miss the earlier episodes when he was really a part of the team and brought that low-key, smart-aleck humor to the show. Seems like he's been trying to ease himself out of the show for awhile unfortunately: might be time to let him go aside from a handful of guest appearances.

As for Ben Browder, definitely glad to have him on board - loved Farscape and hope he can bring (or is allowed to use) that energy he brought to the show (maybe bring something akin to RDA's old humor to the show even). They haven't announced what capacity they're bringing him in as (presumably he'll be the 4th on SG-1), but sounds like he gets along great with the Stargate cast and should be good chemistry.

Really liking the Sci-Fi friday night line up starting in January...will keep the TiVo busy! :)

Darthjaye

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
It would be a slap in the face to Carter if he was to replace RDA. More likely, he will take on Carter's old role and be the second in command of SG-1.

As for RDA, goodbye and so long. He is a mockery of a general and his acting has seriously gone down. I hope he leaves. His "sticking it to the man" comment at the end of the last season irked me to no end.

I disagree with this. RDA took the limited role he has to be able to do more things "behind" the camera and spend more time with family. To this end, in the new role, he's done as well as can be.
As for Browder, I'd like to think the actor has more range than just being "Crichton" forever more. Heck, RDA doesn't go around jury rigging things from simple household items anymore in his current role does he? Now if they do what they did in episode 1 season 1 of SG-1 and throw the joke about his old role right out there first thing, it might make easier for fans to accept him in his new role.
I for one, have not been too disappointed with SG-1 thus far, which is more than I can say for SG-Atlantis. I think there may be too many "characters of interest" in Atlantis for it's own good. That and the bad guys just don't seem devious enough.

DrNilesCrane

First Post
The Atlantis characters haven't won me over with the exception of McKay (main scientist). Didn't care for him in Stargate, but I like his abrasiveness and how's he is developing in Atlantis. He's sort of like the scientist in Battlestar Galatica (sorry, forgot his name - Baltar?) but is clearly on the "good guys" side (no conflict of loyalty, just a lot of interesting flaws). Last week's episode where McKay basically picked on the kids had me cracking up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads