D&D 5E My one and only houserule: consequences & opportunities

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is a simple protocol that does not add any additional complications to the game but adds depth.

It is a mechanic designed to add complications! That's literally the entire point!

And, I submit that comparing the die result to DC, DC+5, and DC+10 adds cognitive load. And, every time a complication is introduced, it must be tracked, and its impact on things going on in the narrative must be considered every step of the way.

More importantly, though, this is missing the role that such complications play in game design - and the subsequent impacts on monster, encounter, adventure, and campaign design.

Such complications are intended to drive action. In a game like Cortex+, where every single die roll may create a complication, we build around the assumption that these things will happen - and that means that your adversaries, encounters, and adventures aren't particularly complicated. You don't need to populate every room in the dungeon, and the monster doesn't need seventeen different spells/powers it can use, because the PCs are expected to be under the burden of several consequences in any given scene - in effect, their own activity genreates the equivalent of powers being used against them.

Now, if you introduce these into a typical D&D scenario, the thing gets overburdened and overfull with stuff. The monsters and ancounters are designed to be interesting and drive action in and of themselves already. The result is apt to be less interesting, and more frenetic and frustrating.

PabloM

Adventurer
Yes of course. This single addition in the rules would change the whole game and how it is played. At this point, I thought nobody was going to say it ...

This rule implies, as I said above, understanding that any check should be important (if not, it should not be done) and, as you say, another, more open conception of the game.

I understand that the game changes a lot, and that it is not what most seek (in this forums at least).

Remove ads