My Paladin killed a.. 2nd thread (The Verdict is IN - p4)

Torm

Explorer
Agemegos said:
The hearing is over and the verdict in. I am happy enough to go on playing this game, but suggest that no-one take it for other than that. Okay?

Not sure if I missed something - was someone taking it for other than that?

The only thing I may be "taking it for" outside of an opportunity for us to have some fun, is that I would still like to know whether it was of any use to Vindicator or his DM....

Chupacabra

First Post
An eye-opening and cliche-bending thread. Very informative, especially to someone like me, who always eschewed playing a paladin b/c I felt they were too limited in outlook and thus, too limited in action. How wrong I was.

Good work.

Agemegos

Explorer
SALADIN said:
…when one arrives on scene to witness such vile a crime being delivered upon such innocent a victim, it would take someone with astounding wisdom or gross indifference to stay the sword arm from delivering rightful justice.

My lord, I am happy to report that men are wiser than you dare to hope. Such crimes and worse are more common than we can understand without horror. And yet to our great good fortune bailliffs and justices across the land, and other servants of the law in other lands stay their hands in respect of Justice.

In my father's time in England it would have been up to the victim's family to avenge a crime such as this. And as a malefactor's family are the last to believe evil of their kinsman, the result all too often would have been a feud. But since the reign of the previous King William the people of England have learned that justice for such crimes is available in the courts of the King's justices, and these proceed with such conspicuous impartiality and are so scrupulous to consider the defence of the accused, and that the punishments for crimes are both just and adequate. And so we no longer seek private vengeance if we believe that our cause is just. The country is much more peaceful and orderly now, and even the chroniclers in their monasteries comment that the crime of rape in particular is much less rampant than it was aforetimes.

It is perhaps because of this that the English fyrd has been much more faithful to two successive kings than the Norman barons have been to either.

The due and public process of the courts, and the peace and order that it brings to all, are a precious jewel, a golden thread that I pray will never be broken in my land.

Last edited:

MaxKaladin said:
"And it is for this reason that I believe he should be considered innocent. We must not forget that he was suddenly and unexpectedly confronted with a great evil. Even under the best of circumstances, it can be very difficult to avoid springing into action and visiting the righteous fury of ones diety upon such a vile evildoer. We must not forget that Vindicator had only moments to act and we must make some allowance for not having the time to fully weigh all of the options and considerations others have thought of after the fact when they are not under the pressure of time or the shock of encountering such evil so suddenly. I suppose some might argue that a paladin should grow accustomed to such in the line of duty, but I would counter that any paladin who becomes accustomed to such evil may well become unsitable to remain a paladin. "

Ditto, mein comrade!

Agemegos A fourth point is that only a person of Lawful alignment is capable of being a paladin. A person of lawful alignment feels in his bones the importance of the law being administered openly and with demonstrated impartiality. He feels in his bones that the exerecise of authority and judgment must not be undertaken lightly said:
saw nothing wrong[/i] in what he had done raises a grave suspicion that he is not of lawful alignment.QUOTE]

NEVER "in Fear of God", Brother, EVER In Love with GOD!!!

Agemegos said:
My lord, I am happy to report that men are wiser than you dare to hope. Such crimes and worse are more common than we can understand without horror. And yet to our great good fortune bailliffs and justices across the land, and other servants of the law in other lands stay their hands in respect of Justice.

In my father's time in England it would have been up to the victim's family to avenge a crime such as this. And as a malefactor's family are the last to believe evil of their kinsman, the result all too often would have been a feud. But since the reign of the previous King William the people of England have learned that justice for such crimes is available in the courts of the King's justices, and these proceed with such conspicuous impartiality and are so scrupulous to consider the defence of the accused, and that the punishments for crimes are both just and adequate. And so we no longer seek private vengeance if we believe that our cause is just. The country is much more peaceful and orderly now, and even the chroniclers in their monasteries comment that the crime of rape in particular is much less rampant than it was aforetimes.

It is perhaps because of this that the English fyrd has been much more faithful to two successive kings than the Norman barons have been to either.

The due and public process of the courts, and the peace and order that it brings to all, are a precious jewel, a golden thread that I pray will never be broken in my land.

I appreciate your point, good sir!

Zimri said:
We are all but tools of the multiverse, ensuring that things work out the way they are supposed to. Do not mistake that statement for neutrality howevr. Evil must be fought. If you slay one evil perhaps it stays dead and perhaps it just gets stronger and comes back. If instead you turn it to good not only has evil assuredly lost a soul and grown weaker but good has gained one and is stronger.

That having been said had I been the one to walk in on that horrid act the perpetrators life would have lasted marginally longer as my ability to subdue is greater than that of vindicator. Once the child was saved, however the perpetrator would have been soundly beaten by an unarmed, unarmored (heck naked even) young woman in the middle of the town square. I am no paladin, the rules for my actions are not nearly as strict. He would have known my Lord was Ilmater, and he would know what being broken feels like.

I am humbled by another facet of wisdom and justice. Something I will take aboard as I continuously learn something new and enlightening each day.

Agemegos

Explorer
SALADIN said:
NEVER "in Fear of God", Brother, EVER In Love with GOD!!!

I take your point, Sir Saladin, and agree with the thrust of it. Nevertheless it is traditional in my religion thus to express the truth that the faithful one obeys without argument and without thought of transgression, submits fully to the will of God.

Remove ads