D&D 5E My PC's and the Stirge Scourge

Nebulous

Legend
The party in my game was also surprised by stirges in Lost Mine of Phandelver. The warlock I think was hit by four of them and they all latched on. He didn't die, but that's only because the mage started shooting magic missiles to kill them. Super, super nasty little buggers. It is arguable WHY they cause so much damage for being so small, when a goblin shoving a shortsword into your gut is equally as dangerous.

Still, in every edition of D&D they have had a reputation for being terrifying swarm enemies, and it's still true now. Easy to kill or avoid if you have surprise, but to get surprised, or badly outnumbered, or be alone....you are absolutely ******* dead.

ccooke

Adventurer
I might be misinterpreting, but if you're treating any night encounter as automatic surprise that sounds a bit too harsh - if the party have people on watch, they should have a chance to detect the attack and take at least some action (shouting to everyone to wake up, silently waking up one person, whatever makes sense as far as they can see).

Sure, if a character isn't woken up then they're effectively surprised, but the person on watch should be ... well... watching.

I remember a flock of stirges wiping out a low-level party in 1E or 2E. One of the survivors contracted a lethal disease.

Yeah, that's pretty much been the case through the editions-- the CON drain (IIRC, anyway) in 3E was particularly nasty.

It's good to have some basic monsters to inspire true fear in adventurers. Stirges, green slime, rust monsters still all seem to have it where things like medusas, wights, and wraiths have had their teeth pulled.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
For clarity, the encounter is 1d8+2 stirge, and they rolled an 8.

Ouch.

No, my players have also developed a healthy fear of these little buggers. I think my party was a little higher level than yours at their first encounter with them, because I did not have any compunction about swarming as many as eight on a single target (and that was generous, as tiny creatures they aren't limited to one body per "square," and generally dropped two or three PCs per encounter. I avoided ignominious PC death by having the stirges disengage upon unconsciousness, as you did -- in general I think it is logical they would defend themselves first and feast later.

Now the running joke of the group is whether something is "stronger or weaker than a mosquito attack".

Stirges are the size of cats. Their probosces are not unlike stilettos slaked with an anticoagulant. Mosquitos they are not.

I wouldn' t have allowed stirges again so soon. Repetitive encounters can be quite boring.

Or indicative of an ecology. You'll forgive me for saying so, TC, but labeling two encounters with the same monster in three days 'boring' is a bit heavy handed.

I don't think you did anything wrong (although I think a maximum of two stirges per person is an awful generous ruling, I believe Basic and 1e specified that stirges generally spread out amongst available targets fairly evenly, and I still keep to either that rule of thumb or "random targeting on!" methods of stirge allocation).

That's kind of you. My stirges understand the benefits of a swarm are quickly lost when spread out over more than one or two targets.

It's good to have some basic monsters to inspire true fear in adventurers. Stirges, green slime, rust monsters still all seem to have it where things like medusas, wights, and wraiths have had their teeth pulled.

This is why I'm really posting.

I think many of us who have been doing this forever have become jaded. I'm running a table for eight folks who are either brand new to the game with D&D5 or who haven't played for 20+ years, and it is /hard/ for me to reconcile my own impressions of the game with theirs. I look at the wraith and I agree with you -- life drain healing on a long rest? What is that about? -- but defanged or not, the experience scared the /bejeezus/ out of these guys. They ran like the dickens, and only came back to fight the wraith in Wave Echo after a boatload of prep and planning.

I am trying /so hard/ not to enforce my perceptions on this group and their adventures, because an encounter that seems like a throwaway cakewalk to me will be the subject of hushed and cautious whispers three weeks later.

The more I play with these guys the more convinced I become that it's not the game that's broken -- it's us.

Fralex

Explorer
Ah, but there is an upside to stirges' deadliness. They're one of the few fictional monsters still classified as beasts! With the right magic, you can make these ugly little mosquito-bats fight FOR YOU! You can even take one as an animal companion if you're a ranger!

Dausuul

Legend
Reminds me of my very first ever 4E session. The party fighter died to swarms of rats. That player has hated rats ever since, across characters and campaigns. :)

The XP multiplier (IIRC) is only for encounter building to judge difficulty. The multiplier doesn't get awarded as XP.
Really? I'd assumed the multiplier counted toward both difficulty and final award. I don't see a good reason not to do that--harder fight should be worth more.

Of course, in my group we just level up whenever the DM says, so for us the question is academic.

Guyanthalas

First Post
[MENTION=58197]Dausuul[/MENTION] Yeah, we had some conversations about that in our group, but the DMG is clear.

DMG Pg. 82
This adjusted value is not what the monsters are worth in terms of XP; the adjusted value's only purpose is to help you assess combat difficulty.

gnarlywhal

First Post
Playing Lost Mines of Phandelver last night with one of my D&D groups, and they got a random encounter of stirge. After playing this encounter, they have declared that stirges must be one of the strongest creatures in the game and are more fearful of them than any other creature to date.

For clarity, the encounter is 1d8+2 stirge, and they rolled an 8.

Running Phandelver for my sons and we had this exact same experience last night right down to the same die roll. :) They were quickly becoming overwhelmed so I called a pause to the battle in order to poke around online for tips on dealing with Stirges and found this thread. :)

Remove ads