D&D 5E My players are using my favorite classes against me lol

Shatargat

Kara Ejder
That would probably be a divine campaign and they would take hard times while achieve great informations. But it looks like the party will make hard times for a DM.

CTurbo

Explorer
I think it is only fair you use their favourite monsters against them.

I'm open to suggestions!

I thought it would be cool to put them up against an evil Empyrean as the BBEG but I think I'd have to start them much higher than level 5.

I don't really have a favorite monster per say. I typically like using powerful NPCs as bosses. I also like throwing mass amounts of weak opponents at my players. Like you turn the corner and there are 67 Goblins coming your way. What do you do? haha

Ganymede81

First Post
If I were a DM to this party, I'd be concerned about overlapping niches between the characters.

Make sure to include opportunities for both the paladins/bards/clerics to shine since they might end up stepping on each other's toes when it comes to desired spotlight time, desired magic items, etc.

Dan Chernozub

First Post
I would suggest making hard challenges that characters will be good at and not the other way round.

They clearly want to excel at certain things, so make them involved and satisfied - give them challenges that will let them use all the cool stuff they've taken.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Honestly with all that healing and save buffs from the two pallys, you can really go off on the party. Make with the explosions. Aoe dpr will actually be kinda low for this group, but they should be able to shred bosses. Stealth should be problematic for 4 heavy armored pcs so scenarios needing stealth can be challeging.

CTurbo

Explorer
Honestly with all that healing and save buffs from the two pallys, you can really go off on the party. Make with the explosions. Aoe dpr will actually be kinda low for this group, but they should be able to shred bosses. Stealth should be problematic for 4 heavy armored pcs so scenarios needing stealth can be challeging.

You think AOE DPR will be low? Have you ever played with a Tempest and/or Light Cleric?

The Light Cleric will be Dex based so half the party will be stealthy, and the other half will be clanky. Isn't that at least almost normal for a party? Maybe 2/3 Dex, 1/3 Str on average.

I'll throw them some bones, but I want to be hard on them. This is a one(or two) shot after all. Like I said in the beginning, they're being smarta**es by choosing this party. It's almost like a dare to throw everything I have at them. These guys have been playing with me for too long lol

corwyn77

Adventurer
I'm open to suggestions!

I thought it would be cool to put them up against an evil Empyrean as the BBEG but I think I'd have to start them much higher than level 5.

I don't really have a favorite monster per say. I typically like using powerful NPCs as bosses. I also like throwing mass amounts of weak opponents at my players. Like you turn the corner and there are 67 Goblins coming your way. What do you do? haha

As someone who often plays rogues, I'd probably cry. Then I'd throw dice. Why do you hate us so?

Nevvur

Explorer
1) Chill Touch, as I mentioned before
2) Parry could be a frustrating creature ability. In my experience, players frequently reserve bardic inspiration for turning a miss into a hit. Parry can turn it back into a miss, so you can feel extra special about being Mr. Poopypants to your bards.
3) Split the party. I've always wanted to do two running combats with two groups of PCs racing each other to the finish line. You're in a rare position because you can split the party exactly in two, class wise. Archetype specializations might be cause for some consideration, but it could be a spectacular contest, regardless.
4) Pitting the party members against themselves in a more general sense could be fruitful, too, though I'm not sure if there's room in the scope of the one shot to do that in a fun way. Something to think about, anyway.
5) Trauma ward: some form of extended skill challenge involving the use of Wisdom (medicine) along with other possible skills to stabilize a large group of survivors from a natural disaster. Failures result in NPC death. PCs can use their magical healing skills to negate a failure, but there are enough wounded to exhaust their resources if they don't succeed by conventional means most of the time. Also, some bad guys show up at the end.

Remove ads