my players told me what they want in a rpg for the next campaign

pogre

Legend
I'll also recommend HERO system. But I always do in these threads. :p

Ars Magica is another awesome game. Haven't played it in years unfortunately, hard to find people who are keen to try and master the magic system, which is admittedly complex. But consistent! The game play is actually really simple (even magic once you get the hang of it.)
I am a huge fan of Ars Magica, but while it certainly creates very capable mages from the beginning - I think the OP would be disappointed with the role of warriors in the game. There are not a ton of combat options for non-mages. I would play or run Ars in a New York second with the right group - but it is not a game with a ton of tactical combat options.

Using the criteria of the OP I think 13th Age is a better fit.

Retreater

Legend
All very excellent suggestions. And, yeah, I'm biased, but, 4e does sound like what you want. And, no it's not terribly hard to prep. When you can fit the monster creation rules on a business card, it's not terribly hard to prep. :D

It is a pretty fiddly game though - lots of stuff to track during play. If you have players that aren't particularly interested in fairly intricate combat systems, it's going to be a slog.

Savage Worlds is always an option. And it ticks the boxes that you listed at the outset.

I've never played it, but, I've heard nothing but good things about Blades in the Dark. Might be worth the look.

While I'm a fan of Savage Worlds, it does use cards for initiative (and also tokens for bennies), which the OP could find a little gimmicky. I think it's a good method, but others (esp those coming from D&D) could be turned off by it.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Thank you, all, I am reading up on the games you have mentioned.

Someone I know mentioned a game called Shadow of the Demon Lord. does anyone know anything about it?
Shadow of the Demon Lord was the first game I thought of when you laid out your criteria.

It has a decent amount of grimdark baked into the core, which to my mind is the only real turn-off. But magic doesn't get out of hand, it's easy to run, and fighters and rogues get a lot of interesting abilities. And the expert and master paths let the players decide exactly how much or little magic they want in their character, even if they start off as warriors or rogues.

Greg K

Legend
My thoughts have been pretty much been mentioned: GURPS Fantasy, Fantasy Hero for Hero System, and Savage Worlds. I have not, yet, looked at BASH Fantasy, but it might work from what I have heard.

Maestrino

Explorer
Heck, listen to the first few podcasts of Acquisitons Incorporated. They start off running 4e and Chris Perkins does a pretty good job explaining the system to the players as they go.

Aldarc

Legend
I don't want to repeat some of the suggestions that people have already put forth, so I will mention another.

The Cypher System could work for your criteria. Adepts (i.e., mages) can do godlike things but so can other Types/Classes through their choice of focus or even their cyphers (e.g., like single-use magic items). I believe that there will be a revised Cypher System Rulebook out soon. The reactions to the system tend to be somewhat divisive, IME, so take that in mind when approaching the system. It may not be to your liking but still worth looking into.

aramis erak

Legend
1) Mages are fun and do not follow the Clod to God D&D model where they start out useless and weak and along the way suddenly become the most powerful class on the board.

2) Fighters and Rogues have more to do in combat than just roll for hit and damage. My players are looking for a game where the non casters have combat abilities that make for interesting game play.

3) The game uses regular dice, no gimmicks like cards or whatever.

Does anyone know of a game like this?
There's a 4th criterion which shapes my answers: the need to be a rich decision making environment in combat for all characters.

Several come to mind...
Top of the list, but hardest to implement: Fantasy Hero. The different power frameworks also allow customizing the feel of magic quite nicely. Add the edition correct martial arts and the fighters gain a lot of attack choices which can be tailored.

Any of several FATE flavors can work fine, provided that you remember that you can create a trait with a free-tag without a fate point by making a suitable roll combined with a suitable narration. Dresden Files is the most obvious, but Legends of Anglierre could do nicely.

Burning Wheel. Lots of setup, but excellent in play.

Oh yes, I forgot one other possibility. A number of years ago, Monte Cook put out what was essentially an alternate 3rd Ed players handbook called Arcana Evolved, which presented new races and classes. Many of the classes are hybrid with different abilities than just the standard Fighter/Mage, etc, and it also has racial levels, with characters being able to develop their racial abilities by taking up to 3 levels in them.

Fanaelialae

Legend
If 4e would suit your needs, but some of your players don't care for it, you could take a look at one of the alternate systems that take some inspiration from 4e but are their own thing. 13th Age (which has been mentioned), Unity, or 'Strike!' come to mind.

If your players are interested in really going off the beaten path and trying something new, The Dawnline seems like a really great game with tactical depth and balance. It is not classic fantasy whatsoever though.

Remove ads