D&D 5E My Session 0 notes. How do YOU handle it?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
TL;DR I made notes for my Session 0 in the spoiler below and looking for some feedback. Also, how do you handle your session 0?

Below are my current "Session 0" notes for my upcoming campaign using B10 Night's Dark Terror which I'm converting from Basic D&D to 5e. The actual start date and players have not been determined yet, but I have a large group of potential players through AL and a FLGS. I have made mention that I'd like to DM this module and people have responded positively to the idea. I expect the players will be familiar with 5e but not Mystara.

Too be honest, trying to add another campaign at this point would probably be too much for the group. So, for now, I wait for a less busy time.

Session 0 will probably take three hours. I have broken it down into three parts:

1) The World of Mystara
2) Character Creation
3) House Rules

The notes are interspersed with questions that I plan to ask the players. I'd be interested in any responses you may have. I'll probably use them as suggestions to help the players come to a solution, if needed. A few of the questions are issues that I need to resolve before we actually play (such as handling encumbrance).

Even if you can't decipher my notes, I'd like to hear how you handle Session 0.

[Sblock] B10 SESSION 0

1) The World of Mystara

A) Karameikos and Beyond

I. Use descriptions for territories from X1 Isle of dread
*Find/ print any map of Karameikos and surrounding areas.
*These paragraph sized descriptions provide an "at a glance" synopsis.

II. Use "Newbies guide to Mystara" from Pandius.com
*a full page description of each area to provide if players are interested

B) Night's Dark Terror Map (North Eastern Karameikos)

*Present the Players Map from B10
*Show where this region fits on the larger scale map
*Introduce calender, phases of moon, & weather
---Two days consecutive rain. Most outdoor combat terrain is difficult.
---Two days consecutive downpour. All travel cut in half.
---DMG page 110 for weather conditions and combat
---Werewolves and moons

C) Timeline

I. 1000 BC- approx 1000 AC
*The Traladarans from their "golden age" to the present.
*Greater detail for the past 100 years (Thyation conquest)
*This campaign may start before the typical date (1000 AC)

D) Levels

* IME, The campaign spans from 3rd - 5th (possibly 6th) level
* XP will be group xp only, individual bonuses are group bonuses.
* Xp will be given in numbers easily divisible by 6. (See 2A)

2) Character Creation

A) 4 players, 6 characters

*Each of the four players will create a 3rd level character
*A 1st level fighter will be provided by me.
---This character will take the Champion archetype
*A 1st level character will be created by the group
*Players can give henchmen xp as they see fit to do.

B) Playable Races available (local origin, if desired)

I. Races
*Human (Thyation and Traladaran)
*Elf (Callari = Wood Elf) (Vyalia = High Elf) (No Fey Realm in Mystara)
*Dwarf (Mountain only, players choose) (clan at Highforge)
*Halfling (any subrace, Five Shires)
*Gnome (Rock only, Highforge)
*Half-Elf (Specularum, Vyalia or Callari)

C) Tools and Background

I. How do we make these usable at the table?
*2e professions = general knowledge and skills?
*general knowledge and skills improvised in gameplay
* Define each player's Tools and Backgrounds
* Should be defined with Karameikos/B10 setting in mind.

D) Starting cash / Equipment / Encumbrance

I. Max in PHB by class + 100 gp

II. Equipment
* Everything in the PHB is available
* Availability of equipment may be limited "in play" according to circumstances.

III. Encumbrance
*I'd like to use a system of encumbrance that'll hold the players accountable
* I don't want the players too bogged down by detail
*Slot system for encumbrance?

E) Group Background

I. Starting at 3rd level
* What bonds the group together? Common Race or Backgrounds?
* Define the previous adventure that the group has experienced together
* Why does the group travel to Kelven?
* Why does the group take Stephan's offer (adventure hook for B10) ?

3) House Rules

A) Group Initiative

I. Contested roll based on a group's initiative
* Group Initiative Bonus (average score of the group, rounded down)
* On the group's first turn, players / DM decides the order.
* This will define the specific initiative order thereafter.
---Similar to batting order in baseball.
---Hold action will permanently drop creature down in the order.
---Can not hold action until the middle of other group's turn
--- Readied Action any time.
* Simultaneous / cooperative actions?
* Simplifies tracking initiative and encourages team work.

II. Concentration Spells
*A caster may try to concentrate two spells
*This causes one level of exhaustion
*This takes effect after one concentration spell ends
*A player must make a con save vs. DC10 + both spell levels after the 1st round.
*On a failed save, caster loses both spells.
*PC will auto-fail after 10 rounds (9 saves), i.e. one minute.

III. Miscellaneous Rules
* Medicine available to fighters
* A PC who goes to zero HPs or below increases exhaustion by 1.

B) Enemy Morale

*Using 2d6 morale system from basic D&D.

C) Character Death

*Create a new 3rd level character

D) Healing Variant (players option)

I.This is an optional rule to add difficulty only if players want it
*The group can opt out of this healing variant completely
*Or they can add extra difficulty by requiring proficiency with the Med kit
*What skill is appropriate for making Med Kits?

I like the short rest/long rest mechanic because it keeps the game moving. I don't like the idea that a PC can potentially fully heal by simply "eating, drinking, reading, and tending wounds" for one hour.

So i've decided to add a resource cost to healing and created a new tool called a Med Kit. The pc's need to use a Med kit per HD of healing for short rest. During long rest, one "use" of a Med kits heals one max HD.

Med kits cost 50gp with 10 "uses", making it 5gp per "use."The Med kit is a triple antibiotic with gelatinous cube added to really kill the germs. Acolytes of the local temples pay good money for gelatinous cube in order to create these kits.

Healing without a Med kit is 1hp plus con bonus per long rest. No short rest healing without a Med kit. [/Sblock]

ETA Oh well. I can't do the spoiler thing here I guess Fixed!

Last edited:

Mephistopheles

First Post
With table time increasingly at a premium, these days I tend to prepare a document that provides an overview of the campaign, send it out a few weeks ahead of the first session, and have at least one printed copy for the first session. It includes things like:
  • a setting summary (usually a paragraph or so),
  • a list of known nations and states (maybe a line each),
  • a list of known organisations and factions (maybe a line each),
  • perhaps a map of the known world and starting area,
  • any other bits of assumed knowledge or non-standard lore on core elements,
  • custom content (races, classes, subclasses, etc.), options and house rules being used (if any).

If you're in a position where the group is in contact before play begins this can save time in the initial session as the players already know what to expect. It may also spark some pregame discussion about character choices and party composition, which again saves table time.

Once play is underway this becomes a living document that can be updated to include changes or decisions the group makes as play progresses. This is useful both to keep track of things and for any players that may join the group later on.

Talmek

Explorer
My zero-sessions are typically not generated toward providing knowledge for the players, although I will answer any questions that they may have about the setting, house rules or other points. I guess this is a bit of an unfair advantage in this aspect as I have been GM'ing/playing with the same group of folks for about five years, so we know how each others' rules work.

My session zero looks more like a group brainstorming session where I ask questions like -

"What are your character's long-term goals?" This will prompt questions about my campaign, and so on.
"Based on what you know about your class, do you intend on multi-classing at some point?" This allows me to research and bring in opportunities for the players to accomplish their goals.
"What is your character's background story, and how would you like it to tie into the campaign?" Again, allowing me to bring in opportunities for players to have the efforts of their backstories come to fruition within the campaign.

I've found that these types of questions will some creative answers from my players, and with other players present they will in turn build off of each other. As a group of long-time players this seems to also work well because with each campaign someone is always trying new race/class combinations.

S

Sunseeker

My Session Zero's are typically about ensuring the party is compatible, understands the general scope of the game, and that I as DM get a good idea about what kind of players and PCs I'm going to have. General setting information can be gathered in the game fairly easily and might be something i hand out in a packet, but isn't something I'll spend a lot of time going over in a Session Zero, it's something I'd expect players to review (if they want to) on their own time and bring to the table for their own reference.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
Also, I usually find it's critical that you indicate the general tone and style of the campaign, how you like to resolve action, and the types of action and activities you find permissible. How you'll be playing something is as important or more important that what you'll be playing.

Will the game be more comedic or serious? How intense are the stakes? Is this grim, gritty horror or swashbuckling romance? Are you expecting dungeon crawls conducted with Seal Team Six precision or something more freewheeling? How do you interpret In-Character and Out-Of-Character thoughts, speech and action? If a player gets the king's name wrong during a negotiation do you give them a pass or do you have the king send for his headsman?

There are no wrong answers here, it's just a matter of taste and player expectation. I find it's much easier to just tell players how you do things rather than ambush them in play.

Shiroiken

Legend
Generally I hate spending time at a session to build characters and provide setup. That's why my games have Session 0 online, rather than IRL. I provide a campaign handout, either via Email, Facebook, or Roll20. This handout gives the players the general feel for the campaign, as well as the starting point. Included are character creation rules and houserules/variants that will be used. My players have the ability to discuss amongst themselves what they want to play, and how they will interact with each other before the campaign begins (if at all). This allows us to hit the ground running at the first session.

In the case of my last campaign, I also created a Player's Guide to Old Ferrond (the region of Greyhawk I was using) because the players were not familiar with Greyhawk, and most of their information was non-gygaxian. This provided general info on the area, including popular views on races, classes, and backgrounds. A bit of history helped drop clues for potential plot points later in the adventure (Temple of Elemental Evil). This helped the players get into the world before the game even started.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Iserith's thread on session zero is pretty comprehensive. I think some kind of session zero is absolutely essential to put everyone on the same page, especially with regards to giving an indication of how you intend to run stealth, whether you're using optional rules from DMG or your own houserules, and so on. Then everyone can discuss, suggest their own changes, etc. Finally after all that is settled, the players can go and make up their PCs with that knowledge, and having discussed roles, setting etc among the group.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
@Mephistopheles

I like the bullet points, especially the suggested amount of info for each point. For the record, I do plan to pass along setting info via email and use it as "a living document." The tempting thing is to just copy / paste a bunch of stuff, but I think a well edited document with just enough info is the key here. Too much info could be just as bad as not enough info. This is a big reason why I started this thread.

ETA I'm working a little backwards here; figuring out what'll be discussed at the face-to-face session, then figuring out what I want in the Facebook discussion.

@Talmek

Yeah, this is how I handle it with my normal group (old friends and family). Some of us have played together for decades, though divorce has the group in hiatus. I hope temporarily, but these issues are obviously much bigger than the game and my desire to play it.

That being said, I look forward to DMing a different group. It's good to get out of your comfort zone once in awhile.

My session zero looks more like a group brainstorming session where I ask questions like -

This is how I want the actual face-to-face session to go. The session can not be completed until I have input from the players, like any other session. Hopefully, they come to the table with a few ideas of their own.

@iserith

From the link

Session Zero recognizes this truth and is a tool to get everyone on the same page prior to play. This pre-play session can take many forms. It can be some simple 10-minute page-setting by the DM before a 4-hour one-shot at a convention. Or it can be an in-depth, hours-long discussion where the DM and players form a social contract prior to playing a full campaign. Or any shade in between (or beyond). The point is, it's a way to ensure that the goals of play and techniques to be employed to achieve those goals are all understood and agreed to by the participants in the game, DM and players both. A good Session Zero means less conflict and more success at achieving the goals of play.

and

During this two-hour-or-so rap session, we'll talk about a variety of topics so that when we have our first actual play session <snip>, we can hit the ground running.

Thanks for the link!

BTW, I like what you said there in the stuff I quoted. Especially hitting the ground running. I think taking a couple of hours in the beginning to make things clear will save time in the end. I'll be rereading this in the future to make sure I have my bases covered.

@Rod Staffwand
Also, I usually find it's critical that you indicate the general tone and style of the campaign, how you like to resolve action, and the types of action and activities you find permissible. How you'll be playing something is as important or more important that what you'll be playing.

This is something that I'm struggling with right now. All the players will probably come from the AL group. Adventurers League is a much different style of game than I'm use to playing with the group changing from week-to-week. The two DMs, out of necessity, completely hand-wave much of game that I enjoy or take for granted as normal play. Things like continuity, holding players accountable for what their characters carry, and making sure players have an idea of what they can or can't do (the halfling rogue still tries to hide in plain site and is confounded when she's denied this)

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking these DMs' choices to simplify their game. They need to keep the things moving and the room gets a little hectic. There can be over 25 people at the tables playing D&D and board games. It'll be mass chaos at times, in the best way possible. A nerd bacchanal, if you will. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads