Mystic Theurge Paragon Path

SadisticFishing

First Post
Sorry about the lack of formatting, but I forgot it doesn't copy that over, and I'm lazy.

Mystic Theurge

Prerequisites: Ability to cast Arcane spells; ability to cast Divine prayers.

You blur the line between Arcane and Divine magics. Through years of practice and prayer, you have mastered two arts, blending them into one.

Implement of the Gods (11th level): You can use implements of either of your classes for Mystic Theurge powers.

Mystic Understanding (11th level): You gain a +2 bonus to Arcana, History, and Religion checks.

Blended Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, if the extra action is of a different power source than another you’ve used this turn, you gain +2 to all attack rolls and defenses until the beginning of your next turn.

Healing Arcana (16th level): Whenever you include an ally in the area of any Arcane or Divine attack power during combat, that ally regains hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier, after the attack takes place.

White Radiance Mystic Theurge Attack 11
Blazing white radiance burns your enemies.
Encounter * Divine, Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: All enemies within the burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Wisdom modifier + Intelligence modifier damage, and the target gets -2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Arcane Fuel Mystic Theurge Utility 12
You tap into your Divine magic for fuel for your Arcane spells. Or the other way around. Whichever.
Daily * Arcane, Divine
Move Action Personal
Effect: Expend a Divine or Arcane Encounter Attack power to regain the use of one Encounter Attack power of the other source.

Wrath of the Mage Gods Mystic Theurge Attack 20
Invoking your deity’s wrath, you add his or her power to your own Arcane might, unleashing a devastating assault on your foe.
Daily * Arcane, Divine, Implement, Radiant, Fire, Cold, Thunder, Lightning, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 20
Target: One enemy
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 4d12 + Intelligence modifier + Wisdom modifier Radiant, Fire, Cold, Thunder, Lightning, and Psychic damage, and the target is stunned until the end of your next turn and knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage and the target is knocked prone.

Thoughts? Comments? Balance ideas?

EDIT: Edited a few things, outlined in my second post.

Last edited:

Kaelkatar

First Post
Its amazing to see some stuff on this forum that actually seems like it could have been done by wizards. The only criticism I can give is that the L16 power feels underwhelming.

Something like "Whenever you use an Arcane Encounter or Daily attack power, an ally within 10 squares of you can recover Hit Points equal to your intelligence modifier"

At Level 16 when you get it, a Wizard/Cleric hybrid that started with a 20 is only going to have a 24, so 7 Health, 4 times an encounter plus 4 times a day, assuming 1 daily per encounter, thats only 35 Healing per encounter. Seeing as your average cleric is doing somewhere like 90 healing per encounter with just healing words, that seems balanced to me, and a bit more exiting.

I don't like the +3 bonus to Arcana/Religion. Too much risk of excessive bonus stacking. Though maybe I've missed other Pathes do the same? I'd prefer a reroll ability or something like that.

What is Healing Arcana supposed to do? If I cast Fireball and the Fighter is also caught in it, he regains INT hit points after he has taken the damage? Or something else?

I might want to reword the Prerequisites, maybe: "Access to Arcane and Divine Powers" or "Power Sources: Arcane and Divine"

Otherwise, looks nice.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'd change the Prerequisites to: Able to cast at least 2 divine prayers, Able to cast at least 2 arcane spells.

Don't like the Skill bonus either.

My Half elf will love the 12th level power. too much it you catch what I'm hinting at. Change it to "Effect: Expend a Divine or Arcane Encounter Attack power to regain the use of one Encounter Attack power of the other source of the same level or lower."

you get

But everything else is very good. I like it.

Starfox

Hero
I don't get how this relates to the 3E Mystic Theurge. Would that not just be a cleric/wizard (or possibly warlock) multiclass? You can't both use Paragon Multiclassing hand have a paragon path. The old kind of Mystic Theurge could be an Epic Destiny, perhaps.

Or is this intended to be something entirely new?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I don't get how this relates to the 3E Mystic Theurge. Would that not just be a cleric/wizard (or possibly warlock) multiclass? You can't both use Paragon Multiclassing hand have a paragon path. The old kind of Mystic Theurge could be an Epic Destiny, perhaps.

Or is this intended to be something entirely new?

That was what I was questioning as well. One of the traps that we can fall into with converting archetypes from one edition to the next is that the archetype may be designed specifically with one rules set in mind. The mystic theurge is, in essence, a "patch" that accounts for the loss of spellcasting in 3.5 when you multiclass. Other early hybrid roles were just that, while later versions tried to offer a little something extra.

The question is, though, whether this hybrid archetype can work in 4e or not. I would submit that you can achieve the same goal with 4e's multiclassing rules, perhaps even to better effect. With 4e multiclassing, you can have a variety of different mystic theurge types, offering a little more flavor.

Just something to think about. Otherwise, the paragon path looks fairly good to me. I would suggest considering how some of the FR paragon paths allow for more than one class. Just list wizard (or warlock!) or cleric class and then one of the following MC feats (insert MC feats here).

Consider, too, that if you use the warlock, the pact may be with the deity who grants your cleric powers. I think a warlock/cleric MC would rock.

SadisticFishing

First Post
The prerequisites include 'S's! So multiples are necessary :p If they didn't make it clearer in 3.5, I'll keep the tradition ;)

I'm not trying to fill the same exact niche in mechanics, I want the same niche in idea. Arcane and Divine magics, blended together. Yay.

Yeah, okay, so I'm changing the skill bonus to +2 Arcana, History, Religion - much like the Master Infiltrator, just with different skills.

The level 16 may seen underwhelming, but it's better than a lot of the level 16s, weaker than a lot of them, and actually very good. Remember, it even works on things that only target baddies, so you can get some serious free aoe healing from it.

I should probably add "during a combat encounter" or something so that no one abuses it with Scorching Burst...

As for the "Encounter Attack of the same level or lower", I considered it, but it's a daily ability. I didn't think of Half-Elf, but really, Half-Elves get neither Wisdom or Intelligence, and this is not much more synergistic than marking a lot of people with Dragon Breath - so it works for me. If you really want to play a Half-Elf, go for it!

Thanks for the comments, any more would be appreciated :D

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Want I want hinting was the half elf racial power which grants an at-will class power as an encounter power. Left uchecked you can exchange it for your strongest encounter power once a day. It's a free wand. Exchange Priest's Shield for Acid Storm or Chain Lightning. Not broken but pretty powerful.

Svisionguy

First Post
I like it, I loved the Mystic. The only issue with it is this feature...

Blended Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, if the extra action is of a different power source than another you’ve used this turn, you gain +2 to all attack rolls and defenses until the beginning of your next turn.

If I am reading this right the +2 bonuses technically aren't applied until after you have used your extra action granted by the action point. In the case of defenses its not an issue, but the +2 to attack ends at the beginning of your next turn..meaning (once again, if I am reading it right) that you never get to use the +2 to attack because its gone when you make your next attack.

I would change it to say that one of the following (no order of preference):

1) The effect lasts till the end of your next turn.
2) If you spend an action point to take an extra action you gain a +2 to any attack whos power source is different from a power you previously used this turn.

Just my 2cp, I might just not be reading between the lines enough, but I'd like it a little more clear...but I like the idea! :)

Remove ads