D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Now Has a Description (& Pre-orders) [UPDATED]

You can now pre-order Mythic Odysseys of Theros, which also now has a description on Amazon, a much clearer cover image, and a changed release date to June 2nd. The book cover and title was revealed by Penguin Random House on Friday, but this is a much clearer look at the book.

You can now pre-order Mythic Odysseys of Theros, which also now has a description on Amazon, a much clearer cover image, and a changed release date to June 2nd. The book cover and title was revealed by Penguin Random House on Friday, but this is a much clearer look at the book.

UPDATE -- now showing on WotC's website, along with the alternate cover.

81o3KXR2PtL.jpg

Clash with the gods of Theros in this campaign sourcebook for the world's great roleplaying game.

Play DUNGEONS & DRAGONS in the MAGIC: THE GATHERING world of Theros—a realm shaped by the wrath of gods and the deeds of heroes, where champions vie for immortal favor and a place among legends.
• Rise above the common throng with SUPERNATURAL GIFTS, abilities that give you remarkable powers that set you on the path to legend.
• Explore Theros as a SATYR or LEONIN—mythic cat-like heroes from Magic: The Gathering. Mythic Odysseys of Theros introduces these races to fifth edition D&D for the first time.
• Master new powers with Magic: The Gathering-inspired SUBCLASSES like the Bard’s College of Eloquence and the Paladin’s Oath of Heroism.
• Encounter MYTHIC MONSTERS, creatures whose power and renown are such that their names are truly living myths.
• Wield the weapons of the gods—five signature artifacts used by Theros's deities.
• Created in 1974, D&D transformed gaming culture by blending traditional fantasy with miniatures and wargaming. Fifth edition D&D draws from every prior edition to create a universally compelling play experience.

darjr

I crit!
I would say it has more to do with the popularity of 3rd party Greek-style settings. WotC wanted to get in on that action, but rather than taking a risk with a new IP borrowed one they already owned. MtG is a convenient well of near-infinite settings.

I suspect there is a degree of collusion going on between teams, which is why it just happens to be the current setting.
I doubt it. Magic sets take years to finalize and Theros just came out. D&D books don’t take as long but they do take quite a while. When was the first surge of Greek 3rd party stuff started?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm not challenging you on this, but where is this popularity happening? I haven't noticed it. Just curious for examples.
Check out this thread for a list of them:

There have been two major Greek-inspired settings/adventure paths in the last several months (Arkadia came out last summer, and Odyssey of the Dragonlords just released a few weeks ago). Plus, Ken Hite's Hellenistika is expected to go to Kickstarter sometime this spring.

Magic sets take years to finalize and Theros just came out. D&D books don’t take as long but they do take quite a while. When was the first surge of Greek 3rd party stuff started?
Yeah, I agree that this is probably simultaneous inspiration rather than direct copying. Must be something in the ... (giggle) ... zeitgeist.

Last edited:

I would say it has more to do with the popularity of 3rd party Greek-style settings. WotC wanted to get in on that action, but rather than taking a risk with a new IP borrowed one they already owned. MtG is a convenient well of near-infinite settings.

I suspect there is a degree of collusion going on between teams, which is why it just happens to be the current setting.
TBH I think this is just the next cross-branding effort. WotC knows it has tons of MtG fans (and it’s growing by huge numbers too), and they want to swing more of those sales to D&D. GGR was a successful book, and you’re right, there’s a thematic gap in D&D for classical/antiquity-themed adventures. I think this is just the next step in seeing more D&D/MtG cross branding.

As for the “current set” of MtG, Theros Beyond Death is current now, but MtG will be in the middle of the next set (Ikoria, Lair of Behemoths—totally unrelated to Theros) by the time this book hits stores. Compare that the GGR, where the book came out during a three-set series of Ravnica content in MtG. This Theros book is launching with a much looser tie-in.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I miss the smorasbord that was the Legend and Lore book. Greek, Egyptian, Norse lore, but also tge Round Table and Lankhmar...

This looks just ok for me. I may or may not get it after looking through it at the local hobby shop. There is a glut of Bronze Age Greek settings for 5E at this point it seems redundant.

I really hope this is not their definition of settings we don’t typically see, like they mentioned they were developing for this year. I was really hoping for a mesoamerican setting.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I was really hoping for a mesoamerican setting.
Have you looked at Plane Shift: Ixalan?

There's even an adventure for it:

Weiley31

Legend
This looks just ok for me. I may or may not get it after looking through it at the local hobby shop. There is a glut of Bronze Age Greek settings for 5E at this point it seems redundant.

I really hope this is not their definition of settings we don’t typically see, like they mentioned they were developing for this year. I was really hoping for a mesoamerican setting.
For me, I'm combining Odyssey of The Dragon Lords AND Theros for my Greek 5E.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
Pre-ordered! Getting ready to start a campaign based out of Sigil, and I'm going to steal heavily from this as the basis for The Outlands underneath Sigil. I'm stealing heavily from both Ravnica and Eberron (among other things) for my homebrew version of Sigil, so this should fit in nicely.

Remove ads

Remove ads