D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros on DNDBeyhond

I'd love to know where "he" said all these things; I certainly missed them. But I'm also used to D&D Beyond promising new features and failing to deliver. The features they have tend to be good, and it's worlds better than the D&D Insider tools from 4e, but I'm paying double and/or an expensive monthly billing for the same material I'd have in the books, just integrated (rather than material+magazines dlc), so I should be getting more for my money, yeah?

Somewhere in here: Mythic Odysseys of Theros - Issues and Support Thread - Bugs & Support - D&D Beyond General - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond

And yes, that's my feeling. If I was paying 30-50% off, and the subscription was basically token (like $20/year, like Nintendo's online sub, say), I wouldn't be hugely bothered. Annoyed, but I could see it. However we're paying 100% costs (barring coupons, but they seem to have stopped doing those, now they have a decent-sized audience), and the subscription is significant. As such customer needs should be prioritized, but in fact it looks like monetization of new features (selling imaginary dice, for example) and convenience for the Beyond team are now being prioritized, and they're avoiding making promises about stuff they should really be making promises about.

Ah, I now see that they treated the Triton race as having the MOT stats but the VGM flavor text. I also see that if I go to Sourcebooks > VGM > Chapter 2 > Triton, it has the MOT stats. This is therefore separate from the Orc issue where VGM hasn't been errata'd everywhere to match the E:RLW & EGW stats/features, and instead they just lazily added "Orc of Eberron" and "Orc of Exandria" as separate races in the tools, as you said above (I'm NOT happy with the result; just choose a tact and stick with it. I understand Feral Tieflings are difficult because they have completely different ability scores from Asmodeans, but Orcs? They should be formatted like Tritons as you've so graciously corrected me).

There are actually three kinds of Orcs. Volos, Eberron, and Exandria, so there should be at least two different entries for them, because the Volos kind have different stats and a different ability. The issue you seem to be missing though is that the minimalist approach leads to incorrect lore. It's not "lazy" to replicate them - it's the right thing to do. Ravnica Centaurs and Minotaurs have extremely weird and specific lore, which is completely inappropriate for general usage, and completely inappropriate for Theros.

At least buying Triton alone doesn't gimp you out of Darkvision, but it is a problem of not being reconciled with official eratta. The most recent VGM errata, per the April 2020 Sage Advice Compendium, is from 2017. So WotC told Wikia/Fandom/Cursed/DDB to go ahead and errata the Triton but didn't give us book owners the errata on the Triton. Ugh.

I would hope it's because they're preparing a larger errata for VGM that fixes the Triton, the Orc, and maybe, hopefully, gosh darn I really hope, the Kobold.

Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath on that. I'm pretty sure that is basically a case of Beyond talking WotC into making an errata. I think the Eberron and Exandria Orcs will remain separate from the Volos Orc.

R_J_K75

Legend
Wow, and to think I was THIS close to buying it digitally as the wait for the physical copy was gonna be annoying with the delay.

I think I'll just wait and get the physical copy.

This is exactly why I haven't invested a subscription or even use the free version anymore. I buy hard copies and just use them to game, not worth the aggravation in my opinion to go digital. I have been very underwhelmed with anything WotC has put out digitally since the 2E core rules program.

dave2008

Legend
This is exactly why I haven't invested a subscription or even use the free version anymore. I buy hard copies and just use them to game, not worth the aggravation in my opinion to go digital. I have been very underwhelmed with anything WotC has put out digitally since the 2E core rules program.
Not sure what your suggesting. I got the free subscription to DnD Beyond and then bought Theros for $29.99 (I think). It is way more functional than a PDF and is the complete book. Not sure what there is to be underwhelmed at personally, can you clarify.

R_J_K75

Legend
Not sure what your suggesting. I got the free subscription to DnD Beyond and then bought Theros for $29.99 (I think). It is way more functional than a PDF and is the complete book. Not sure what there is to be underwhelmed at personally, can you clarify.

Here is just one instance Ive had with D&D Beyond. I ran into an issue where I had to re-input information from previous levels when updating characters. I submitted a bug report, or whatever you want to call it and never got a response. I prefer physical books and cant justify the cost of re-buying a book to make characters on D&D Beyond.

dave2008

Legend
Here is just one instance Ive had with D&D Beyond. I ran into an issue where I had to re-input information from previous levels when updating characters. I submitted a bug report, or whatever you want to call it and never got a response. I prefer physical books and cant justify the cost of re-buying a book to make characters on D&D Beyond.
OK, your talking about additional functionality, thought you were just talking about the book digitally. I don't use those bits. Also, I'm guessing you know that DnD Beyond is not owned or run by WotC?

R_J_K75

Legend
OK, your talking about additional functionality, thought you were just talking about the book digitally. I don't use those bits. Also, I'm guessing you know that DnD Beyond is not owned or run by WotC?

Yes I know WotC doesnt own or run Beyond.

Wasnt the character generator for 4E updated with new book releases and you had access as long as you subscribed?

Teemu

Hero
Yes I know WotC doesnt own or run Beyond.

Wasnt the character generator for 4E updated with new book releases and you had access as long as you subscribed?
The 4e online tools only had the rules, not the flavor and lore (for the most part). So the tools didn’t exactly replace the books. No art, no descriptions of places, etc. Just the classes, powers, monsters, etc.

DnDBeyond isn’t directly comparable.

R_J_K75

Legend
The 4e online tools only had the rules, not the flavor and lore (for the most part). So the tools didn’t exactly replace the books. No art, no descriptions of places, etc. Just the classes, powers, monsters, etc.

DnDBeyond isn’t directly comparable.

I was thinking of what you got with the subscription for PC creation between the two editions. But you are correct it probably isn't fair to compare them.

Remove ads