D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros on DNDBeyhond

Bupp

Adventurer
Likewise. I haven't seen a color-wheel based magic system yet that models the card game well. I think WotC's decision to effectively ignore the color wheel in their D&D/Magic crossovers is the best choice yet. It's been a while since I've read any Magic lore (novels, webstories), but I'm pretty sure the idea of a "blue mage" isn't really supported in the fiction either. Which mana colors each Planeswalker or magic-user has affinity towards seems to be behind-the-scenes type of stuff rather than explicitly the way characters see magic in-universe.

I've been looking at/trying to develop a color based spell casting system since before the first free Planeshift document came out. Everything has warts. Literally a square peg into a round hole.

Not a workable system, but the best attempt I've seen is Spell List as Color by Laurafindel is a good base to build off of. She just takes all the existing D&D spells and divides them by color. The colors are not balanced against each other in any way, just dividing spells by color instead of class.

I do agree that WotC ignoring the color wheel for magical effects is probably the best choice.

I am going to check out the link that dave2008 posted on the DMsGuild.

darjr

I crit!
I bought the book on DnDBeyond and the alt-cover hardcover at my FLGs, but I didn't get the map (if it is sold separately).
Each WPN store got a few (20?) giveaway poster maps for the first 20 buyers of the special cover. Oh and there is a discount for the DnDBeyond purchase. Though I prepurchased on DnDBeyond too and I think they are working on it.

dave2008

Legend
Each WPN store got a few (20?) giveaway poster maps for the first 20 buyers of the special cover. Oh and there is a discount for the DnDBeyond purchase. Though I prepurchased on DnDBeyond too and I think they are working on it.
My store didn't mention the map. However, as they were completely out of the regular cover it is quite possible I was not among the first 20 buyers.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Did you get the poster map?

I got the poster map with my FLGS copy. I mean...it's nice to get something but I don't know how you'd really use it. It's double-sided, laminated, and black & white. If you're familiar with how the maps are in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, it's quite similar to those. It's actually five different locations; one is an overland map and the others are dungeons or ruins.

The thing is, it's too small to use as a battle map for minis, and both too visually bland and too revealing to give to players as a hand-out. I literally have no idea how I would use it at the table. Kinda like the physical map pack they sold separately for Dungeon of the Mad Mage that everybody hoped would be battle maps, but wasn't.

The piece is large enough that they could have had one decent battle map on each side for use with minis. But as is, the battle-maps are 1/3rd the size you'd want. Alternately, a decent overland map could go on one side, but ideally you'd want something in color & visually interesting OR something that looked like it existed in-game, like a map drawn by an NPC.

Instead they're just slightly larger, laminated versions of the utilitarian maps in the book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Interesting, I got the laminated map even though I only got the standard cover: maybe they didn't sell 20 special copies here?

Remove ads