D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

pukunui

Legend
You’d think that the slower release schedule would enable them to pack more into their books, but no, 5e is and always has been the DIY edition of D&D. We get the bare minimum from WotC and are then expected to go to the DMs Guild for all the semi/unofficial DLC that fills in the gaps.

You’d think that the slower release schedule would enable them to pack more into their books, but no, 5e is and always has been the DIY edition of D&D. We get the bare minimum from WotC and are then expected to go to the DMs Guild for all the semi/unofficial DLC that fills in the gaps.
Seems to work for everyone.
Eberron page count books is what we should get for the price.

pukunui

Legend
Seems to work for everyone.
Everyone might be an exaggeration. It doesn't work all that well for me. I, for one, tend to find even the Guild Adepts' work lacking in quality and attention to detail.

Eberron page count books is what we should get for the price.
Agreed. In terms of content, that book sets a new standard for 5e. That said, it's probably the most typo-riddled book in the whole 5e series so far. So you win some, you lose some really.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm confused why people keep asking for just a "true" Greek mythos setting. If you want to teach your kids Greek myths, get them a Greek myths book, or put on Disney, or make use of any of the infinitiude of materials out there.

What would even be new in the book? We have stats already for the various Greek myths. Gods don't need the stats. Its asking for the same thing that already exists but in a new package and with probably worse art (if Eberron's art direction is anything to go by).

Ya'll the same audience who got mad that the Tiamat adventure was released with almost no changes and just a new cover.
The main reason why I would prefer true greek myths is because I'm already familiar with them, and they were a significant part of my life. I don't have kids, I personally would prefer greek myths for myself, for something familiar.

What would be in the new book? Many of the things that are already in the book. A piety system, but for the Olympians. Legendary Weapons, but ones that we already know about, like Zeus's Lightning Bolt or Posiedon's Trident. They could have demigod stats, and so on. One of the questions that is always asked when a book is speculated or announced is "What would even be new in the book?" which you just asked. It's very easy to add new and interesting things to books.

Are you not mad about that? I wasn't, just mildly annoyed. I didn't buy it, because I already have the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and didn't want to pay twice for a crappy book. I don't even know what you're trying to comment about here.

Everyone might be an exaggeration. It doesn't work all that well for me. I, for one, tend to find even the Guild Adepts' work lacking in quality and attention to detail.
Hence why I said "seems to". Keywords.
Guild Adept material is well produced. But the quality of the content is really lacking. All of that material needs to be vetted. Or undergo a testing process.

Agreed. In terms of content, that book sets a new standard for 5e. That said, it's probably the most typo-riddled book in the whole 5e series so far. So you win some, you lose some really.
Agreed.
Keith Baker should have been the project lead on this. Not the glory hounds of the others.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think it makes sense for a general "greek hero" subclass to be a paladin, as they're strong and charismatic, but the features don't emulate Greek heroes as much. Heracles was strong, which the first Channel Divinity shows in mechanics, as well as making you better at jumping, which is also accurate. The thing I don't like about the second channel divinity is that no greek heroes have anything similar to this. You don't smite someone with divine power and heal other people in greek myths. You can smite people with divine power harder than anyone else, though, which is why I preferred the UA version of this specific Channel Divinity.

The aura also seems weird. Greek heroes are fast, but they don't make other people fast.

The last two abilities of the paladin I'm fine with, they feel hero-esque.

Remember that this isn't a book set in an Ancient Greek setting, it's a book set in a MtG setting which was inspired by ancient Greek myths and legends. That means it doesn't need to fit in with people's perception of what an Ancient Greek hero was noted as being able to do.

You gain temporary hit points, these aren't healing you since your hit points don't change. You can see this as bolstering yourself or your allies, allowing them to continue fighting.

Also it's a paladin, paladins gain aura abilities at level 7 (at least I can't recall any that don't gain an aura at 7th, I could be wrong). This aura gives an athletic vibe, like his other channel ability, to the paladin boosting his movement. It just happens to affect others because that's what paladin auras do.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Does the book have any actual adventures in it? Like Ravnica has Krenko’s Way it is it all setting and life to build your own adventure?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
You gain temporary hit points, these aren't healing you since your hit points don't change. You can see this as bolstering yourself or your allies, allowing them to continue fighting.
Temporary hit points are basically healing, but better in most circumstances. This distinction isn't important here, it still just doesn't fit the greek theme, IMHO.
Also it's a paladin, paladins gain aura abilities at level 7 (at least I can't recall any that don't gain an aura at 7th, I could be wrong). This aura gives an athletic vibe, like his other channel ability, to the paladin boosting his movement. It just happens to affect others because that's what paladin auras do.
Crown and Redemption paladins don't have auras, IIRC. It's not necessary for all paladins to gain one. Also, they could be enemy-debuff auras, like the Conquest paladin. That would fit the Hero theme better than this one, IMO.

Remove ads