D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I gather that James Wyatt has had to fight long and hard to get any cartography for Magic world's: just not how the Magic tram normally operates.

From reading the book, the Setting is much more about the Gods and how they relate to the characters, than location. The Supernatural Gifts and Piety system expansion is dynamite, the Gazateer is OK but not the star of the show for sure.

dave2008

Legend
I think I saw a couple of people in this thread asking about the map of Theros (or maybe maps in general, I don't remember).

The geographic map is extremely bland. Just this granite colored map with the locations of cities. Not anything to get excited over.

I like the battlemaps, but they are the black/white ones from recently. I like that style but I know many don't.
I wonder if anyone has put an enhanced map on the DMsGuild?

Weiley31

Legend
And the gazetteer section is lackluster, too. This book is good, but is definitely not without its flaws.
This book is pretty much for the Crunch with the Piety system and the races(or pretty much just the Satyr). Even if you can replace them with the Odyssey of the Dragon Lords version. I do like a number of things in it though, like the Returned/Eidolons, Supernatural Gifts, Create-a-Chimera, and the Archons.

And the idea that Ash damage is reflavored Necrotic and Flickering is reflavored Psychic damage.

That said, the Monster section is a tad bit smallish.

Last edited:

Remove ads